Saturday, January 30, 2010

Let's Talk About Faith

Since I'm still trying to play catch up from being SOO behind, I decided to do a little post about Faith's 2 and a half year old status. Life with Faith is never dull, that's for sure.

Faith loves to play dress up. Thank-goodness for sisters and sisters-in-law who donate all their dressup clothes. Faith is in heaven! And look at her outfit-pairing style!
Photobucket
When Levi was about Faith's age, I deluded myself into thinking that I was an excellent parent--with superb parenting skills. I remember hearing horror stories about other people's two year olds and I would always shake my head with sympathy and quickly pat myself on the back. "It's too bad they don't know how to do things the right way", I'd think to myself. Ah... if only everyone could be as perfect as I was. It's been so fun... and SURPRISING for me to see how different my two children are. And I don't just mean because they're opposite sexes.
I never remember Levi getting into ANYTHING. People kept telling me I would have to put things up when he got older, but I never did. I never had to. Remember
THIS POST about Faith climbing my shelves? I should have known that would only be the beginning. And speaking of that post, the scar that Faith has been left with (which, by the way, is a lot more noticeable than I ever would have DREAMED and actually forms a crease-like dimple on her face) is so... 'her'. It really represents her personality. And yet...I debate whether to have it fixed by a plastic surgeon. Her pediatrician said I may need to when she gets a bit older. Opinions?

But back to Faith and her 2 and a half year old update...
Back in late November, early December, Faith started giving up naps. And not just naps, but sleep in general. She boycotted her crib and REFUSED to sleep in it. I mean, the trantrums on that kid were record-breaking. Each day she became more and more sleep deprived than the last. This was all during the busiest time of the year and I really and truly thought I was going to lose my mind. Or have a mental breakdown. Or... something. I'm sure John at least thought so when I never gave him a second to breathe after he got home from work before I berated him about my terrible day. Usually with tears...and a plead for ice cream after the kids went to bed never hurt either.
John and I had HAD it. If we were lucky enough to get her to sleep in her crib, she would wake up at all hours of the night throwing things out and kicking and screaming. We KNEW the answer was an actual BED instead of a crib and yet we didn't have one yet. So.... we did what ANY parent would do in the same situation We CAVED. We let her sleep in her... GASP!.... recliner for nearly a week. And hey, before you judge US, remember that SHE chose it. We actually were able to get her to agree to GO TO SLEEP because of the recliner in her room. And thank goodness it's the kind that stays in the reclined position because otherwise we would have been stuck in there with her and we all know how fun that can be.

So, we finally got a bed. Hallelujiah!! And after I tried my 'Supernanny' technique of refusing eye contact and putting her back in her bed after she got out, we had SUCCESS! Ah, blissful, peaceful, restful night's SUCCESS.
Faith is still adjusting now and then to her lack of napping, but for the most part we're all used to it and she goes to bed A LOT easier without a nap. But if she happens to fall asleep in strange places, no one is stupid enough to wake her up.
Here's a few pics of her sleeping when she simply couldn't take it anymore:

On our bed...
Photobucket

On her bed. Please notice the green lipgloss. We'll discuss it in a minute.
Photobucket

And on the couch, of course. Please notice the crumbs to her left. She is MESSY.
Photobucket

Recently I've learned that nothing of mine is sacred anymore. And poor Levi has learned it as well. If you have it, she WANTS it.

Here she is pictured in Levi's backpack, shoes and hat. Luckily, she got a princess backpack from Grandma and Grandpa R. Now she can be obsessed with that.
Photobucket

Faith can single-handedly destroy the bathroom (and entire house, for that matter) simply while I'm taking a five minute shower. Forget organization in the bathroom drawers. And nice creams and lotions that you have called your own. And the toothpaste nozzle staying clean? Whatever. Oh, and our toothbrushes have all been sucked on, chewed and slimed by HER.

The real kicker lately?? The lipgloss. You
KNOW HOW I FEEL about my lipgloss.
Here is a closeup of Faith wearing some of my lipgloss. And really, the picture doesn't do it justice. It was about an inch deep on her lips.

Photobucket

And here she is pictured with my FAVORITE lipgloss I can no longer find. It was in my pocket. I went to the bathroom. It fell out. It got swiped. And that was the end.
Here it is. SLATHERED. Such a waste!
Photobucket
I have bought her packs and packs of Bonne Bell lipsmackers and also girly lipgloss from the store so she could have some to call her OWN rather than stealing mine. It hasn't helped. She still wants MINE. If you have a solution, I'd love to hear it.



Besides being an extremely stubborn thief, Faith has her good qualities too. She is so so bright. It's so fun to see how much her brain can take in. She's a human sponge. If John and I are talking to each other, she interrupts and asks us what we're talking about. She talks really well and you never have to play the guessing game with what she wants ot needs because she's usually screaming it at you... or talking in a REALLY LOUD little girl voice.

She's obsessed with John. So obsessed. And did I mention she's obsessed with him?
I have grown to really love that obsession at the end of a very long day when John gets home.

Lately she's been stuck on the phrase, 'For no reason'.
Some examples of how she has used the phrase:

"I don't want it for no reason"

"I want to be a princess without no reason"

"I need to go downstairs for no reason"

"It's time to get dressed for no reason"

"I want a tubby for no reason"

"IT'S NO REASON!!!"

Yesterday she said to me, "YOU RUIN MY LIFE!!" And so it begins. At two. She learned that little phrase from a Barbie movie. Shame on you, Barbie! You're a bad influence.

Faith. Is. Messy. Here she is pictured after being in time out for a total of three minutes. When I sent her in there, her room was clean and she was dressed. Although, Faith not being dressed is nothing new these days. She changes her clothes 15-20 times a day. Oh, and that reminds me. I really need to buy some more baby powder.

Photobucket

There's a little bit of this going on lately.

BUT...
Photobucket
It's hit and miss and I really don't want to be the one who is 'potty trained' so I'm letting her take it at her own pace. Most of the time I'm fine with it. Until I have to buy more diapers. Or worse... change one of her three poopy diapers during the day. Please tell me why the poop of a two and a half year old is two or three times worse than the poop of say... an 18 month old? They turn two and a half and suddenly the gag reflex is back in full force.

Overall we find Faith pretty dang irresistable over here. She's full of personality and she's ALL. GIRL. Yes, two is a hard age, but I seriously think it might be one of my favorite ages anyway. There's just so much cuteness packed into one tiny little package.



And really...
Don't you find her a bit irresistable too?

Photobucket

18 comments:

Rochelleht said...

Uh, YEAH!

Except the devil part of her. HA HA HA! This post made me a laugh. I had to show my hubs the pic of her in her time out room. Too funny.

And just in case you are wondering how bad poop can get. Just try 12 year old poop. I'm just sayin'.

Irene said...

Liesl has a scar in her eyebrow that was caused when she lurched into the screw that attached her mobile to the crib she was trying to escape from. It never would have happened if I had attached the mobile to the crib with the screw facing OUT instead of IN. Oh, yes, I know Mommy guilt. I wouldn't recommend plastic surgery, however. At this point, it sounds like the scar is something of a "personality mark" and a cute one at that. Besides, according to an Egyptian proverb, "A beautiful thing is never perfect."

Taya Millward said...

Oh Holly I feel your pain. I don't know if I ever told you Coles seven layer dip story, but it was a doozy. You can see how i have total simpathy with you, when you hear it. It also was not the only mishap with him but it is the most memorable for me. They get better with age I promise. With Cole, it seems that the more upset I get the more of a monster he becomes. I have to force myself to give him hugs and tell him I love him sometimes because I am so mad. It has seemed to help alot although. Cole will be five the end of February and still isn't fully potty trained. This makes me irrate, since most of his accidents are because he is to lazy to get up and go to the toilet. I just take a deep breath and tell myself, he will be grown before I know it. I think sometimes I need to get into a yoga class. Hang in there.

the wrath of khandrea said...

she is getting so big! she looks like anything but a baby anymore. wow. she's adorable.

Jennie said...

I love that no one is stupid enough to wake her up! She is cute and I happen to love the scar on her face. It's just a part of her!

Susannah said...

She is so dang cute! I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one with little monsters. :-) The way I finally got Emmeline to stop getting into my lipstick was to tell her that if she stayed out of it and asked me, I would put it on her. So she's still using it, but at least I'm not losing it! Good luck!

Nortorious said...

We are raising the same child. Exact same. Mimi is doing every single one of those things (minus the lip gloss theivery) and most of the time I want to kill her. If she makes it to three alive it will be a miracle.

Tristan said...

She is adorable and spunky! I like her!!

But, you are not alone. My Katie girl is ALWAYS in to my purse and getting my lip gloss and chap stick! Drives me nuts!! I have had to hide my purse from her now.

Rebecca McNair said...

I know how you feel! Remember when we used to go to the gym? Layne was at such a hard age and I would tell you, you just wait! At least she looks so cute doing all of those mischevious things! :) She is just a little doll! If she ever gets to be too much please bring her over to play with Layne! I will watch her anytime!

Lauren in GA said...

Oh, my I DO find her irresistable!!!

I loved reading all of this. You made me laugh when you said things like, "and did I mention that she's obsessed with him?" about her love for John.

The little things she says are cracking me up. The, "for no reason" thing is hilarious. My kids say things they learn from movies, too. You made me laugh when you said Barbie is a bad influence.

She is so, so adorable. Did the doctor say that her scar will affect her skin from growing properly? I think it is cute.

Well, you know her beautiful skin won't chafe any time, soon. She uses plenty of baby powder ;)

Ned and Melanie said...

She is so cute. I have to say that judging by the pictures, my Abby and Faith would get along great. They'd both be covered in lip gloss surrounded by heaps of dress up clothes and every other toy in the house. She is adorable and I love the updates.

Jen said...

Let's just face it... there is no way anyone can stay too mad at your darling child for any amount of time! The powder/time-out pic is priceless! Priceless! When Conner marries his girlfriend, we will have to display their coordinating baby powder pics. It's as if they are meant to be!

I know for a fact that you have "mad mothering skillz"! I've seen you in action, my friend. The proof is in the puddin'! Your kids are adorable, they are happy, and they love their mommy and daddy!

I feel so relieved reading this post. I'm not alone in my toddler troubles. And for that, we will be stronger, and better in the long run! (Okay, this last part is kinda mushy.) But it's true.

Amateur Steph said...

She is so cute! (And she looks just like a little you.)
"You ruin my life!" That made me laugh so hard. Little girls are so dramatic. I've mastered the mothering art of "never letting them do what they want," according to Kenzie. So I'm pretty sure, "ruining her life" is coming up. :)

monika said...

YES I DO! She's the cutest dolly around. It's funny, most of the things you're describing, JACK did. He was our busy body. By the way, I have a baby powder catastrophe picture too (with Jack). Take it out of the room, or you can bet it WILL happen again. Halle is much easier than Jack was, minus the changing clothes bit. I feel your pain there. And don't worry about Faith's scar - I have never noticed it. She is too darn cute!

Halle's been interrupting us lately when she hears someone's name and she'll say, "Are you talking about me? Are you talking about my brother?" Or whoever's name she's heard dropped. Jack has never once done that to us. They're funny.

I miss you! Let's get together soon.

Laura said...

Faith is so CUTE! I vote to keep the scar because it looks like a cute dimple. Some of the things she says remind me of Lindsay at that age! FUNNY!

JANEAL said...

She is full of personality. Carter was like Levi, never got into anything or did naughty things but Kennedy on the other hand is into everything. I have a feeling she's going to be like Faith. At least your days are full of surprises! She is just so so cute!

Sunny said...

LOL - Oh, I totally love her, she's wonderful. She is clearly going to be successful in life with that personality. She'll have lots of great friends just like her mommy does. I'm sure it's exhausting for you... and sadly, I don't see it getting much easier for a long, long time. :)

Kim said...

Oh she is darling! And the lipgloss!! That totally stinks! And poor Levi. I say leave the scar.