I just got back from Bear Lake yesterday from another family reunion. We had a lot of fun. Pictures to come later...
We always go to Ideal Beach Resort at Bear Lake for my mom's side of the family. It seems like in years past, something always happens to someone there to make it hard. Usually this 'someone' is ME. Like the time I was rushed to the hospital for a kidney infection and they almost removed my appendix instead. Or, there was the time I ripped my toenail off under the door. That same year I ripped my toenail off, three other people did the EXACT same thing. Anyway, you get my drift. John (because he thinks he's so hilarious) has renamed the place 'ORDEAL' Beach rather than Ideal Beach. Funny, ha ha, right?
Well, today the nickname rang true and there was another incident. Not so funny.
I'm heartbroken to say that it was an incident with baby Faith. She was climbing my shelves in the living room (they're actually part of the walls) and on the second shelf there's a glass rooster. Faith went to grab it and the rooster came down and shattered on her head and face. I've been reeling from it all day. And I feel a lot of guilt over it and the fact that she will now have a scar on her pretty little face. I keep thinking about it and crying. Please give me a story of hope to make me feel better.
I'm grateful that it's not worse. But I'm still so so sad about her cute little face.
I had my cell phone with me and took some pics. I can't believe how good my cell phone camera is. I really need to use it more often.
Here's Faith as we arrived at the hospital:
I blew up a glove and that seemed to help...
The guy with the gray hair was so so nice. He was so cute with Faith and held her hand until he had to help another patient. Here she is getting all wired up and monitored.
They sedated her with a conscious sedation. She was still awake with a glazed over look, but she was still whimpering and really fighting with her legs and arms. She was so stiff. It made me so sad and to see her like this. So helpless.
Getting stitched up under the sedation. I think we got a good doctor. He used really fine stitches and said that if we're careful with sunscreen, etc., then it shouldn't leave a horrible scar. He said that time will lighten it. I hope he's right.
The after...
Another angle...
She's still beautiful...
But I'm still sad.
But I'm still sad.
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)


46 comments:
oh holly! she is beautiful! i know as mother's we are always so hard on ourselves when things happen to our little ones. i'm sure as you are diligent with the sunscreen, as the doctor said, there will be little, if no scar! with time it will fade and no matter what, she will always be beautiful...nothing can change that!
Oh, I am so so so sorry. She is so sweet! A little vitamin E on that scar over time & it will be gone. We baby proof and baby proof & they still get into the stuff we could never think of. DO NOT FEEL GUILTY!
She's going to get so many hugs & kisses from you tomorrow!!!
Ohhhhhhhhh. Isn't being a mom hard sometimes? Cody has a scar on his nose and I don't even see it now. And it was a pretty deep gash from when he was two. No worries, friend! It'll be a good story Faith can tell all of her friends! Just like my scar from when I was "cutting some cheese". Oh, the kids thought it was soooo funny that I got a scar from "farting"! But I DID get a cut from cutting some ACTUAL cheese. Dorks.
I feel so sad for little Faith!! What a cutie. It really is true though that if you are good with the sunscreen that in a few years you will hardly even notice it.
My niece had almost the exact same scar and I have to look hard to see it now.
We went to Ideal Beach ALL THE TIME. My parents just sold their unit up there last year. It made me sad, but I didn't get to use it much being in Arizona and all. Hope the rest of the trip was fun.
Ouchy!! I am so sorry to hear about the little cutie! And she is still cute! I am sure with all the suggestions, it will become un-noticeable (was that a word? LOL!)
Sarah has a few above her eye. She slipped in the shower when she was 3 and she also fell off her bike. I don't even notice it anymore.
Sending Hugs to the cutie pie and mom! I hope the week gets better!
Poor little thing!!! I'm so sad for all of you.
Vitamin E is a great helper. We've been using it on Sammy's scar which is still pretty new, but I know a couple other people (the Sawyer's included) that used it like crazy and there isn't a trace.
WOW! SOOOOO sorry. The good news is that babies heal very well. She is adorable and I'm sure it will all be ok. So glad it wasn't any worse.
oh my heavens!! How scary! That would traumatize any mom!
She is so beautiful!!! Truly! I agree with Annemarie put a little vitamin E on it or the anti-scar medicine by Neosporin.
Don't beat yourself up...You are a fabulous Mom!
Oh honey, I am so sorry!!!! There is nothing worse than watching your child get hurt. Does this make you feel better-it could have been worse!
Okay, anyways, the whole things stinks but it's not your fault and now she just has a prominent beauty mark on her face. She probably won't scar either...kids heal fast!
Oh my goodness! You are one cute mom and she is adorable no matter what. Glad you got it down for posterity!
Poor Faith and poor mom! There is nothing worse than watching you kids when they are hurt! Don't worry about the scar! It looks like it is more to the side of her face when you look at the picture head on. She is still really little and I'm sure it will fade...if not, she is so stinkin' cute that it doesn't matter! She is a hoot...I just love watching her. Good luck and don't feel guilty! At least she didn't end up with a head injury from it wacking her head! Hugs to both of you!
Oh Holly! We tend to beat ourselves up as moms. Don't!! Ruthie got scratched by one of the boys right down her nose. I can see it when the light is just right and when it's not. But it doesn't define who she is! I've never heard anyone say, "you know that little girl with the scar down her nose..." Faith will be fine. And so will you!! Let me know if I need to do more for the dinner tonight!!
Sam was playing at the table (when he was around Faith's age)with his cars and he stood up on one of the chairs and fell and hit right below his bottom lip and smashed it. I took him to the doctor because there was skin hanging and i thought it had been cut all the way through. He ended up not needing stitches but does have a scar. When their skin is still so young it really fades with time. We can barely see Sam's scar now. Faith is beautiful and this scar will only add to her personality (if you will even notice it;)). Long comment sorry...
She is still beautiful of course, but I am SO SORRY! Poor little baby.
I dont know anything about scars, but that commercial says to "rub some mederma on it."
Dont feel too bad....I am sure the scar will fade. And sometimes things happen no matter how much we try to prevent them.
Okay. Help me understand WHY you keep going back to this place? I think the kidney thing would have done me in, not to mention the toenails. Seriously. Don't go there anymore.
Sorry about your sweet girl!
Holly, that is the worst ever. I'm so sorry! I don't know if you read my blog from last Nov. when Macey had to get stitches between her eyes- I was devastated about it. But now, only 8 months later her scar is very light and I know it will just keep getting better over time- so don't worry!!! Her sweet face will be back to normal soon. I hope she's feeling ok.
Oh my gosh...poor little Faith!!! I wouldn't worry too much about the scar. Ryker got stiches over his eye a couple years ago, and you can't even tell he ever had a cut. The nurse that took the stitches out was even nice enough to save the actual stitches for me. Kinda funny.... Hopefully she heals quickly and beautifully!!
Poor baby & poor mommy! I'm so sorry that happened to you guys. I know things happen all the time to kids and that's just the way it is, but moms will always feel some amount of guilt , no matter what...and that's just the way it is. My family was at Bear Lake 2 weeks ago and my 1 year old pushed away from me and fell over into the Lake for like a second before I grabbed her up into my arms! I cried & cried long after she was happy and back playing in the water.
Oh my that sucks! Poor Faith, I felt so bad looking at those bloody pictures. But the glove balloon did seem to help her spirits, its always something simple to take their mind away from it. Jaimen isn't a climber, I have this 4 tiered shelf in the living room that he put his feet one twice to try and climb, and that was it. I thought about taking it down in case it did fall on him, its so light it wouldn't really hurt. He's only climbed onto the kitchen table once, but he does climb into his high-chair weather it has the tray off or on.
So sorry that this happened to you, she will always be such a beautiful girl! I think there will be no scar, just use sunscreen, like I am sure you do, and add some vitamin e oil and she'll be fine! Will I see you on Friday night?
I can't believe that happened!!! how awful! I would be crying about it too!!! It was fun talking to you on the boat, and I love that I can look on your blog and see what's happening with your cute family! Since the once a year that I see you, doesn't allow much! Any way, I hope she heals quickly and I'm she'll still be a cutie no matter what!!!
I am so sorry. I hate when kids get hurt. I think it is part of being a mom that makes you feel guilty no matter what.
On the scar...my sis-in-law worked for a dermatologist and I can ask her more, but I know that she makes her son wear a band-aid anytime he is outside cause I guess if it gets sun it will show more. I will let you know what else I find out.
HOlly,
My little boy cut his little forhead a few years back, and you can't even see the scar anymore. I think kids have pretty good skin that heals better than you think!
Oh no! Your poor babies face. I know how you feel. Just be glad that you did not fall down the stairs with her. :) I'm sure it'll be fine. Vitamin E helps a lot.
HOW SAD! How scary! I'm glad it wasn't worse, but that's horrible, none the less.
I cried a little at the pictures of them all holding her down. I can just picture it being my Livy. I would've been a wreck. Sorry.
On the bright side, my 9 year old neice acquired a nice gash above her eye on the corner of a coffee table when she was around Faith's age. With plenty of Vitamin E and sunscreen (don't skimp on that...) you can't even see it now. Plus, I'm amazed at how well those pictures turned out from your phone. Hmmm. I need whatever phone you have...
I'm so sorry! It's the worse when something happens to your sweet baby. She's still absolutely adorable. My niece-who's now 21- has a moon shaped scare between her eyes from stitches. It happened when she was about Faith's age. She likes it. Its apart of her now. Maybe it'll grow on you all.
Oh Holly, I'm so sorry! :( Is another shipment of rock candy needed to help ease your pain???
I am so sorry. It is never fun having one of you kids go through something like that.
Oh...I am SO sorry! I still think you are the GREATEST mom! If it does scar, Faith will always think of her wonderful mother whenever she looks at her small little scar.
That is sad! When Caden was around that age, he tripped while running and his forehead hit the sharp corner of a coffee table. It was really deep and ugly. He had to get stitches in the middle of his forehead. It was so sad. Granted, he's a boy...and scars are cool. But, actually...it's faded A LOT and you would have to be really close to his face and have it pointed out to even notice it. So, that is my uplifting story for you. It will end up looking better than you imagine.
Thanks for inviting me tonight. I can't come though. Dan is going out of town for the rest of the week...leaving tomorrow. So, he was going to take me out tonight since we won't see each other for a few days. Sorry! Invite me next time.
Hi Honey! Faith is going to be just fine! I can tell from the angle that the scar will heal nicely and not pull apart like Duke's did when Chauncey bite him by his eye. Vit. E will certainly help, and also I like that anti-scar cream you're going to get. Much love goes to my darling faith. She stole the show at the reunion! Love, Mom
PS: Please correct your blog so that it doesn't imply that this accident happened at Ideal Beach.
Holly!! I so know how you feel...This last Christmas i had our stocking hanging on the fireplace with really heavy stocking hangers (the kind that you set on top of your mantle) and my little son Tanner pulled one down on top of him and it punctures his face just below his eye! I felt so horrible and felt like I as a bad mom etc...I'm sure all the same emotions you're going through. It left a scar that I was so so sad about but it has really lightened and it's only been 8 months! I think in another year we may not be able to see it. It's kind of grown on me though because it's almost like having a cute dimple. I recommend using Maderma for kids...it's a scar minimizer.
Babies heal so well! I doubt you will even be able to tell she has a scar in a few years...
If you want to feel guilty about something, feel GUILTY about saying that I look old.
Kidding.
Just wanted to get your mind off of feeling bad about Faith.
Did it work?? :)
It'll be a great conversation piece when she's older. You know how people are showing off their scars like they are battle wounds? I put my son on a kitchen counter so he could fall off and get 17 stitches on his chin from the cut. I know the guilt feeling. She'll be ok. Don't stress.
Oh poor Faith, fortunately she's cute enough to handle any old scar and of course you aren't a bad Mom. You are raising an independent, adventerous little girl, you wouldn't want her to be any other way.
Holly - sorry I can't spell, let's just call it baby brain.
Oh dear! When I was little I cut my lip on the bunk beds and had to have stitches. The scar totally faded, even Mike says, "What scar?"
No worries. I hope you don't feel bad, things like this just happen.
Holly, a scar is an event, an adventure, an ice breaker! She is adorable and no scar is going to change that.
I need to talk to you...please email me at groseclj@libertyuhsd.k12.ca.us so I can get your number. Thanks!!!
Poor baby Faith! That stinks! Luckily, she has wonderful baby skin and it will probably be gone in no time.
Yes...I think we all just were too busy for the get together. We'll have to try again!
Thoughts:
1. I'm so sorry that your little girl went through that -- and I bet it was harder on you than her. :( However, she is still beautiful, and I'm sure that you won't even be able to see it one day.
2. I am so excited to wean at a year... but so sad, too. Good for you for going so long!
3. The music on your blog always scares the crap out of me. And Bean, too, if he's on my lap.
4. I have that same rug in your bathroom -- except it's in my kitchen.
5. Faith's voice is so sweet! I could listen to her babble all day.
Awww poor Faith!
Here's my unsolicited scar management advice as an official OT, I didn't read the other comments so sorry if I am repeating. Once the incision closes up and the stitches are out start doing scar massage twice a day every day. It just takes a minute or two. Get a lotion with aloe or vitamin e in it, they make all sorts of fancy (expensive) lotions but anything with aloe/vitamin e will work. Take a small amount and rub it over the scar using gentle pressure. You want to go with the grain, againist the grain, and in a circular motion. Again 1 minute is enough if you can even get Faith to sit still that long!! I'm sure it will be barely noticeable as she gets older.
And don't beat yourself up, accidents happen (although I would wrap your entire family in bubblewrap when you go to next year's reunion)
Ouch..looks like that hurt.
She looks pretty even with stitches on her face!
I think that scarred you more than her. Be good to yourself. She is a beautiful baby girl.
Aw, Holly! Faith is such a sweet, mild mannered little girl! I'm really sorry this happened - she's gorgeous and always will be! If there's one thing I know, it's that you're a great mom, please don't blame yourself - accidents are a part of growing up.
Here's a post for you:
http://erineats.blogspot.com/2008/08/green-beans-almondine-for-holly.html
Talk to you soon.
oh my gosh... that must have been hard for you... and her. I'm sorry.
A story of hope:
I, myself, have a lot of scars... the visible one is the 8 or so inch long one on my forearm. I always get asked about it...
FUN to make up stories of how it came about everytime... and different stories everytime.
Your little girl... now has a "story". It takes most of us 20-30 years to have a "story".
Lucky girl.
Post a Comment