Monday, December 21, 2009

Favorite CHRISTMAS Things

So, it's been a while. I actually have a lot of things to blog about and pictures to show off of my kids, but let's do the most important post first. I haven't done a Favorite Things post in quite some time. And since I've got the Christmas spirit goin' strong right now, it's time to share the joy. So, without further adieu, here they are in random order:

Photobucket

I'm a teeny bit of a freak when it comes to lipgloss from Bath & Body Works. They keep having these gigantic sales and I'll buy way too many, open them all up at the same time and try them ALL. You'd think I'd save one or two as a gift for someone, but I'm much too selfish. I can't even wait until one kind is gone off my lips before applying the next. I'm sure I look pretty awesome too--what, with the braces and all, but I can't seem to help myself. My latest favorite is C.O. Bigelow Warm Spiced Cider. It's Christmas in a tube!!

And speaking of spiced cider, I really love to curl up with a blanket and a hot cup of Alpine Spiced Cider. Sure, it's the cheap version and not nearly as yummy as homemade wossail or something, but hey, I'll take it!

Photobucket
And speaking of curling up in a warm blanket, last year we saw these amazingly cozy blankets by Berkshire at Costo. We love it so much we recently bought another one for our bed. SO COZY! And for only $20 bucks, you can't beat it. I'm instantly happy when I get wrapped up in it. And don't even think about asking me to share it with you cuz I won't. Just ask John.
Photobucket


If it's not Spiced Cider I'm in the mood for, then it's hot chocolate. But not just any hot chocolate. It has to be Stephen's and it has to be made with milk in our Back to Basics Cocoa Latte Machine. It's frothy! It's the perfect temperature!! It's delicious!! It really is the best one out there. We make hot chocolate ALL THE TIME because it's so easy and yummy.

Photobucket

This next one sort of doesn't have anything at all to do with Christmas, but I've been DVR'ing episodes of this show and I can't get enough! It's like they really ARE my friends. (and yes, I'm that pathetic.) That crazy Chandler... and Joey..... and don't get me started on Ross, Rachael and Monica!

Seriously, if you're a fan of 'Friends' and it's been a while since you've watched it, set your DVR and get going! Everyone should re-watch the episodes every couple years or so. One of my favorite episodes is when Rachael makes a trifle and puts "meat, sauteed with peas and onions" in one of the layers and then Ross says it tastes like feet! Oh, Ross.... you kill me!!

Photobucket

It goes without saying,that Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without the great music that goes along with it. I've been listening for a while now... (November 2nd, anyone?) and I can't get enough of it. Well, except for that stupid Wham 'Last Christmas' song that they play OVER AND OVER again and that super lame 'Christmas Shoes' song where I literally want to hit something every time it comes on. But seriously, besides that I LOVE Christmas music!

Photobucket

Today I watched my cute little nephew, Ian, while my sister went to a fun cookie exchange party. Because I begged she loves me, she shared a few of the cookies with me. And that was it! I vowed not to ever be this lame again. Next year I WILL make cookies throughout the season and be a fun mom and adoring neighbor. I want to at least make a batch of her yummy orange cookies for Christmas day. They were divine. And no, I don't think she'll let me share the recipe. You can get in line though. I haven't received it yet either. But I will because I'll beg she loves me.

Photobucket

Lately, around these parts it has been C.O.L.D!! BURRR! The last several days it has been foggy. I, for one, LOVE LOVE LOVE the fog! It goes so well with all the above items and I especially love how all the branches on the trees get white and frosty and you can't even see any of your neighbor's houses. It's like you live in your own little frosty village!

Photobucket

I'm into GOOD SMELLIN' THINGS! That's why I love my Scentsy and the scent Christmas Tree. If you have an artificial tree like me and you miss the scent of a real tree, but you don't miss the fire hazard and the pine needles all over the floor, then you'll love this scent! Oh, and if you don't have a Scentsy, you NEED ONE!

Photobucket

Every Christmas morning (and before that on cold evenings too), John will get the fireplace going and make things all cozy and fun for when the two littles come downstairs to see what Santa gave them. I love cozy warm blankets, hot chocolate, a great movie and the fireplace going. I want to make sure that if we ever move, we'll always have a fireplace in the living room. It's definitely one of my favorite things.

Photobucket

I saved my three favorites for last. They're movies and I have to watch every single one of them every year at least once (if not more) for it to be Christmas.

First: The Family Man
This is one of my favorite Christmas movies of all time. Every time I watch it, I want to look just like Tea Leoni. She's so pretty! This movie is funny, warm and feel-good. See it if you haven't already and if you have, see it again!
Photobucket

Second: Christmas Vacation
Many instances of this movie remind me of my own childhood for reasons I can't mention right now. Seriously one of the funniest christmas movies of all time. I love it when Uncle Eddy wears a cream see-through, v-neck sweater with the black dickey underneath. CLASSIC!


Photobucket

And probably my favorite Christmas movie of all-time and definitely a Christmas Eve family tradition in my house is watching: A Christmas Story. Every year TBS plays 24 hours of it and I seem to watch it at least 6 or 7 times. I love it when the father wins 'A Major Award' and mispronounces the word 'Fragile' for 'Fra-Gee-Lay'. SO FUNNY! And ya gotta love Randy and Ralphy!

Photobucket

I have to mention that one of my other favorite things is receiving Christmas cards from friends and family in the mail. It is seriously like a little gift every time I open one up. So, if you've sent one... THANK-YOU. We were extremely lame this year and never got ours out. We usually do so well! I think my vanity got in the way because I didn't want a picture of me with braces on. Yes. I'm vain. But I bet if you had braces on right now then you would be too.

And if it's a few days (or weeks, months) before I post again, here's wishing you and yours a

VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

22 comments:

Tristan said...

Great list! A few Christmases ago Ryan got me the full DVD collection of FRIENDS and it came in the really cool wooden box. LOVE IT! I miss that show!

Rochelleht said...

That was like my favorite Christmas post, ever!

Meat, Good!
Pudding, Good!

What's not to love?!

Seriously, Holly, that post cracked me up. I love all that stuff too. Well, not all. A lot.

Rebecca McNair said...

Bath and body works lip gloss is my fav too! I can't get enough of it! I love the one that just came out from liplicious, the flavor is Crystal Candy! So Yummy! You have to try it!

Sunny said...

I am feeling your Christmas spirit, girl, thanks for sharing. :) That lip gloss looks awesome, I have several from that brand but not SPICED CIDER! YUMMMMMMMMMM!

Hugs and prayers and Merry Christmas!

Jeanelle said...

I love so many of your favorite things! I have a pumpkin pie lip gloss from B&BW that I savor. And Scentsy? Yum. My fave scent is snowberry and I have that red snowflake warmer. So cute. And you have to know how much I love Friends. I have all of the seasons on DVD (should not surprise you) and always stop to watch whenever it's on. Remember when Joey said "it's a moo point?" Ha!

Vickie said...

I love Friends! There are some classic scenes in that show. One of my favorites is when Phoebe finds out about Monica and Chandler and she and Rachel play that trick on them. So funny! "They don't know we know they know!" lol!

Irene said...

"The Family Man" is an absolute must-see Christmas movie for me! We watch it every year. Sadly, I have been too busy to watch it this year, but I still have a few more days. We did, however, watch "A Christmas Story." "I can't put my arms down!" And your Scroogy Dad made me want to watch the National Lampoon Christmas movie until he told me that a cat gets electrocuted in it. No wonder he hates Christmas! If my cat got electrocuted, I'd hate Christmas, too. By the way, it's about time you made a new post! ;-)

Jylaire said...

I just really like you and your favorites lists are yet another reason why! I despise the Christmas Shoes song too. Love Cousin Eddie and his fashion sense! As for the Scentsy, try Winter Wonderland...It's like Christmas in a waxy cube!

Ned and Melanie said...

That episode of FRIENDS is the BEST ever!!! The day after Thanksgiving I broke out that episode and have now started watching the rest of the seasons again for the millionth time. We are more alike than I even realized! Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Marni said...

Sitting in the exam room waiting for the doc to come in today, Jamie and I overheard some of the nurses talking in the hallway. One of them said, "Why is all Christmas music old?" It was all I could do not to bust out laughing. All the old Christmas music is the BEST!

I love the frosty foggy wonderland too. Plus then we can get excited that Rudolph will be hitched to the sleigh this year!

And for the record, Nestle Quik is my absolute most favorite chocolate milk. Call me a big kid or something, I don't think anything else touches it. :)

diane said...

Oh how I love your favorite things posts. Now I must go buy that lip gloss.

Promise me you will post about The Bachelor. Are you as excited as I am?

the wrath of khandrea said...

were you high when you wrote this? it's like bouncing off the walls with enthusiasm and randomness.

but i loved it. i am like a junkie with my c.o. bigelow glosses. i keep one everywhere, and i'm constantlly putting it on.
christmas vacation... all the vacation movies, actually, i have memorized. shameful? not even.
i make orange cookies. they are light and fluffy and delish. i will send you my recipe.

Jessica said...

I am too vain to get braces at all, so I get you on the CHristmas card thing. Last year only had a picture of Faith. Why? 6 weeks post-partum body, that's why.

And, um, I made 30 plates. I thought everyone would be clear that no one could possibly make the 1200 cookies that would have to go on 300 plates, but apparently I underestimate people's opinion of my baking abilities.

Ken and Lori Banta Family said...

Can you believe that Ken hasn't seen The Christmas Story the entire way through...come now they play it like 48 hours straight! I am insisting that he watch it this year. Our personal family fav is Christmas Vacation and yes, my children can quote most of it...bad parents! I finally realized where I got the saying "Seriously Clark?" from after watching it the other day! I also love Bath and Body lip gloss! Have a wonderful Christmas!!!!

Mariel said...

Merry Christmas, Holly! It's always fun when I see you have a new post up. I wish we were one of those families, totally on top of things, that could get Christmas cards out...but, we're super lame. But, if I had them...you would totally get one. That should count for something. :)

Taya Millward said...

You said to leave you a comment, so here it goes. I am feeling guilty over your Christmas spirit. This year, I have none. Just call me Ebenizer Scrouge.(is that how you spell It?) Any way you make me want to be Chritmas'y but alas it is not so. Maybe next year. But on a good note, Love the lip gloss too.

Jill said...

Fun post cute girl! Did you use the FREE LIP ITEM coupon last week at Bath and Body...I got a few free lip items but I didn't know what kind to get. Maybe I'll go exchange for this kind.
I LOVE BLANKETS, and that one looks heavenly.
Just yesterday I was craving apple cider, now I'll go buy that kind and try it!
Our minds are so similar. Too funny.
Family Man is our fav christmas movie too. My hubs loves it the most, but I like it just the same.
Hope you have a FABULOUS Christmas!! Loves ya!

Lauren in GA said...

I loved this!


The movie The Family Man gets me every time. I love it's message.

I have never tried that lipgloss...you have made a believer out of me.

You crack me up that you had to post about this first...I am so glad you have your priorities.

I need a Scentsy...I hear and I obey...

Kim said...

Merry Christmas Holly! So glad you're back blogging - I've missed your posts!

I love the frosted trees too - they are amazing, huh!! Love ya - Kim

Jen said...

Friends! What's not to love about friends? How about the episode when Joey has to be an "uncircumsized" man for a part in a movie? And Monica makes "parts" out of bolonga for Joey to try on. Love it!

Love your list! I always love your lists! I feel like I have been too busy this year to really feel the Christmas spirit. I hate it when that happens. And by the way... thank you for the yummy treats the other week! I totally grabbed all of the carmels and hid them from my family. I'm evil that way. But it was so worth it!

Hazen5 said...

Ditto on your list!

queenieweenie said...

love the lists...keep 'em coming!