Remember the post I was promising that was all about my favorite food? The time has come. Unfortunately for me, I have NONE of this favorite food in my house. And seeing all the pictures of it reminds me of how badly I want it right now. Sigh.
A brief history:
Back in the day (before I was born or even thought of), my parents lived in Taiwan. (I have a brother that was 'MADE IN TAIWAN!) My Dad was a TOP SECRET undercover CIA agent. It sounds cool, huh? You know you wish your Dad was a secret agent. Just admit it.
There's lots of things he won't tell us because 'he'd have to kill us'. He doesn't get tired of using that line. Ever.
Anyway, my Dad also served his LDS mission there in Taiwan. And he learned that his favorite food was Chiao Tzu's. (or you can butcher it and call them Gyoza's, but your pronunciation would be wrong, my friend. WRONG!) He eventually found a recipe for them that topped all others he had tried. It's secret. You can't have it unless you're family. Sorry. But not as sorry as you're going to be when you see what you're missing out on.
From as early as I can remember, Chiao Tzu's have been a staple for special occasions. We could have them for our birthday or if someone special was coming over. Luckily, there were six of us kids so that meant that we could almost certainly get them a few times during the year. Score!! I still remember the time that my sister, Joyce picked beef stroganoff instead of Chiao Tzu's for her birthday. I curse her to this day for that choice. Did ya hear that Joyce?!
One time, when I was about 12, I was telling my Dad and step-mom that I could eat at least 40 Chiao Tzu's. (You see, usually we didn't fix anything else to go with them. That way you can eat until your heart is content. We usually made at least 200. And there was NEVER any left over. EVER.) My step-mom bet me an ice cream cone that I couldn't eat 40 Chiao Tzu's. She was sure she'd win. But guess what? At twelve years old, I ate 40. When I was done eating, I literally fell on the floor and groaned in pure agony. To this day, I don't think I've ever been that full in my life. I thought I was going to die. I could see the light. And you can bet that the LAST thing I felt like was the stupid ice cream cone that I had won. Speaking of... Bette, have you ever paid up on that ice cream cone? I'm ready now.
One time my Dad ate 80. He literally felt like he was going to die.
One time my Dad ate 80. He literally felt like he was going to die.
You see? My family loves food. Even if it nearly kills us. That's true love.
So, I think you know what I'm getting at...
When we visited my Dad in Washington, he made us his Chiao Tzu's. And because it was a Fast Sunday that day, you can bet that the anticipation was even more severe than usual.
I dream about this food. And now that John has been married to me for 8 years and has had the pleasure of taking part of this special food more than a few times, so does he.
The Chiao Tzu Preparation:
The Chiao Tzu Preparation:
My Dad chopping the Chinese cabbage. Notice my Dad's perfect hair. It never moves. His full head of hair is a work of art. He has people stop him on the street to ask him how he does it. I'm not kidding. Zoom in on the pic.
See the green bowl? I have memories dating back to the time I was four years old using that bowl. See the 2 liters of squirt in the background? Having Squirt is ESSENTIAL when eating Chiao Tzu's. It clears the palate and gives you a great bloat. A must.
More strategic chopping:
Laura holding the finished secret recipe product:
Bowing Chiao Tzu's. It's an art. You must 'bow' them appropriately. I used to get yelled at as a child that mine looked like 'diapers' and my dad would give me several lessons. You must crimp to seal and give it a 'seat'. There's always someone who does a really bad job with one Chiao Tzu and that person gets really made fun of after it's been steamed. I'm happy to say it was Laura this year instead of me. Way to go, Laura!
These lungs (pronounced Lone-gs) are made of bamboo and they're the original ones my Dad purchased in Taiwan. They're seasoned. The more seasoned, the better. You can buy yourself some really great lung steamers from Bed, Bath and Beyond HERE. Even my Dad approves of their quality. That's sayin' something.
Chiao Tzu prep. It's almost time!!!
My step-mom also makes a recipe straight from Taiwan of Chinese Pan Fried Noodles. We were spoiled enough that we got these too. They're delish!
Here's Charlotte enjoying them:
The juice. I can drink this stuff. Your Chiao Tzu is NOT complete unless you have some of this. I always use more than anyone else because I'm a pig that way.
The finished product and the heathens grabbing. We always count to make sure it's EVEN and that everyone is served the same amount in each batch. No fair if someone gets more! When you're done, you must announce to everyone how many you consumed. He who consumes the most, WINS!
It's probably not smart to announce how many you ate to people who don't participate in the tradition, however. One time I went to a party where some 'fake' Gyoza's were served and I told everyone that I can eat 40 of them. I was definitely not as popular at that moment as I am with my family. I got a lot of weird stares and looks. RUDE!
This year I ate 30 plus a hearty serving of panfried noodles. The bloat was fantastic!
Clark and Grant came in first place with 40 a piece. Way to go, guys!
Dad, I'm ready for more. Can you come over and make me some?


38 comments:
I WANT SOME!! I WANT SOME NOW!!! I can almost smell the delectable-ness of those delightful dumplings of joy. AAaahhhh.... ssshhhhh don't tell anyone that I ate 39... oink oink...
That looks so fantastic! I love how you blogged about it, too! I laughed at things like, "You see? My family loves food. Even if it nearly kills us." in response to your Dad eating 80 and feeling like he may die...and how you could, "see the light" after having eaten 40. I shouldn't laugh at your agony but the way you wrote about it was so funny!
I also laughed at things like your asking Bette if she ever paid up on the ice cream cone and how you said, "I'm ready now."
And I agree...your Dad's hair is perfect!
Fun, Fun, Fun. Your pictures bring back the great time we had.
YES, I did buy you that ice cream cone. Do you really think that you would have let me go this long without badgering me until I bought it?
Your Dad's hair does look good in that picture. :-)
WSM
Ohhhhhhh, man that looks good! It looks and sounds delicious. And I got a kick out of your dad's hair. I have a friend who has the same condition. :-)
My dad would be so jealous of your dad's Secret Agent Hair. Dun-dun-dun-du-du-dun-dun(that's suppose to be the theme song to Mission Impossible ala. Tom Cruise) My dad has the 3 hair, comb over. I pray my boys manage to skip that horrific gene.
Okay, I'm hungry. Looks so yummy!
Mmmm. That looks amazingly good. I'm so glad you pigged out. It's not vacation (or life, for that matter) unless you can just pig out!!
Your too funny Holly....I LOVE reading your blogs. Wish I was part of your family...I might need to invite myself next time your having a family gathering...
Those look yummy. Are they kind of like pot stickers?
Those look so good! Next time you go to WA to see you parents I am coming, it won't be a long trip for me. So I expect a heads up ;) Also, the green bowl, My parents have one too, it was always our watermelon or granola bowl...too funny.
i LOVE those things. i make them every chance i get. and i do call them gyoza. except mine is more of a japanese recipe, and... brace yourself... i FRY them.
-shock-
-and horror-
i am truly awed that you ate 40. i think my record is around 25. my mouth longed for the additional 15, but my small stomach was already in revolt. "binge and purge" should've been my motto there.
So I love that your dad is former CIA. I work with a guy who is also retired from the CIA and I still think the name he goes by is really a made up name!! ;) And I loved reading about this fun family tradition! Still way jealous of your family...and your dad's excellent hair!
I still don't know what they are, but right now I want some. RIGHT NOW. A bloat is usually not a good thing, but I have to say that you make it sound fantastic!!
Your dad does have great hair.
I WANT TO BE A SECRET AGENT!!
And I want to try those.
AND... I promise I have not forgotten the curling iron thing- I lost my flip in the move.
Still searching.
I fry mine too but I like the steaming idea. What a great familiy tradition. I love how you all work together to make and consume them.
Are you sure you won't give us the recipe? I really wouldn't want to have to steal it. Your Dad might hurt me.
I am so, so curious about these things now. I would love to try one. Or 957. Whatever it takes.
I think at the next Blogapalooza, we know what you're bringing...
I have heard of this, but never tried. Will you come make me some? I love your gluttony!!!
I am soooooo craving those now! How cool your dad was in the CIA. I want to hear more stories about that, but I don't want to be killed!
sounds wonderful! i so wish i could just whip some up!
Holly, great post! And great new look! I have been dreaming of changing my blog name but can never think of anything.... Seriously Holly is seriously clever!!
Oh, I love that! That totally cracked me UP! Looks delish!!
Ok, so I think that since I'm technically considered family and since my husband served in Taiwan too, that I should get that recipe. Seriously, that looks so good and I would love to be able to make it for my hubby and see the look of joy on his face when he realizes his little american wife made authentic Chinese for him. Please please please!!! :)
Yum, yum! Now I am having huge regret that I only had 26! What was I thinking.......I could have had more!!!!!
That trip was just the greatest! I would go again in a hearbeat.
You were hilarious during that entire post and I want some of those so bad. It's really bad manners to make someone want something they can never have. Rude.
That looks DELICIOUS! I love asian food! How fun to get together with the fam and pig out
You are too funny. LOVED the post and the background behind it all. I had a roommate in college that came straight from China and she made the best authentic food ever! Some of it looked like that stuff too..I can't remember what she called it though. I'm so hungry right now and this all sounds delish!!!!!!!!!
Looks yummy. I know this is super random, but a long time ago I saw a comment you posted on Mariel's blog about not being able to spy on her pictures because they wouldn't enlarge. Mine use to, (enlarge) but now they don't. Do you have any helpful advice for a fellow blogger please? The only solution I could think of was your comment and I can't figure out what to do. Please come visit me and help! I know you are busy reading all your blogs because I see you everywhere but please please come see me. :) I'm desperate. I love seeing my pictures enlarged to the size of the screen.
You know...taunting a bunch of hormonal women is just plain wrong. If I ever post about my favorite food (which is just about anything), I would certainly post the recipe. Feeling guilty enough to share?
Your Dad looks exactly like what my mind envisions a super secret CIA agent to look like. An older, wiser, James Bondish look.
What's the sauce? Can you just throw that bone to us?
that food looks really yummy!
Looks like you had a lot of fun on your vacation...I need one of those.
For my hair, I hardly ever get it trimmed and I still use prenatal vitamins.
I guess now we know what you're making when we invade your house...how's tomorrow?
In all the years I've know you, and all the dinners I've had with your family, I've never once had those. I think you should make me some!!!
happy birthday. It is today, right?
Happy Birthday, Hollyween!
Oh, how I love food. That makes me so hungry! Did your siblings laugh that you took pictures of your feast, knowing that it would be on your blog later?
Get out of town! Those are my favs too! That's almost all I ate when we lived in Taiwan! I'm so jealous of your feast...you go girl! Love your guts!
p.s. Does James Bond (your dad) give lessons on how to make those scrumptuous treats! Ü
Jamie was going to comment on this forever ago and never did, so I am for him. I sent it to him at about 9:30 one night, and he sat on the couch craving Chinese food till he finally headed out to go buy some pot stickers. He was going to write and say that he went on his mission to Taiwan and deserves the recipe for that alone, but he promises he would make it for you anytime you want it because (me talking now) he's a really good cook!!! Tempting??
I am still hoping and waiting for this recipe. I don't go back to work until 1/5 and I am very much in a cooking mood!! :-)
Post a Comment