Happy Birthday to ME!
I've been dreading this day for a long time. 30. It sounds so old and yet... it's really not. I still feel 19 and if that old saying is true 'you're only as old as you feel' then I'm doing pretty good, right?
I hope to do lots of things in my 30's and make them the best years of my life. In a way, it's nice to be out of my 20's. In your 20's, no one takes you seriously. Now, when I tell them I'm 30, they'll look at me in a whole new light! And hopefully... just hopefully... they'll be surprised when I tell them I'm 30.
A little birthday story...
Two weeks ago, my mother-in-law gave me a beautiful ceramic Halloween pumpkin. I put it on my shelf above my fish tank. A few nights ago, John was looking for a missing fish in the fish tank and came up and bumped his head on my shelf. And down, DOWN came the cute pumpkin. He felt so bad. And so did I. But I think he felt worse. (It happened right after finding out that my 96 year old grandmother's health is failing and her days are numbered. You always think you're going to be prepared for news like that, but it still manages to hit hard. She's still hanging in there... ) He promised me that he'd buy me another. I was talking to my mother-in-law on the phone the other day and told her about the 'incident' and asked her where she got it from. She said she just happened to be going to that gift shop the following day and presented me with yet another beautiful ceramic pumpkin on HER birthday at HER birthday lunch. She refused to let me pay her for it. At the end of the lunch, Faith was poopy (of course!) and smelling the place up. She also needed a nap. I was holding her as she was arching her back, hanging on to her sippy cup, my keys, my purse, a bag of birthday chocolates my sister-in-law gave me and the beautiful pumpkin that was wrapped in bubble tape in a sack.
It happened so fast.
The sack with the pumpkin slipped through my fingers.
BOOM, CRACK, and DOWN, DOWN went the beautiful ceramic pumpkin.
AGAIN.
People that know me probably aren't the least bit surprised by this story. The klutz gene is a genetic defect. But I seem to be the one who inherited the majority of it.
I stood there and bawled in front of everyone. Nice. The second pumpkin crashing was just more than my little heart could take.
But today I opened the door after getting back from a walk and there was my ceramic pumpkin, all glued together and you almost can't even tell it happened. And along with it was two more UNbreakable pumpkins. Thanks, Alice. You're the best.
Here's a pic of the pumpkins. And a card I woke up to from John. When you open it up it plays the electric slide. It's hilarious and so ME. But what was even better was the message inside:
'Happy Birthday, honey!
You still look 19 to me when you were doing the Electric Slide.'
My favorite gift is my new pair of Brooks running shoes.
John, you're the best. I love them. I felt all young and light when I went on my walk today with the kids. They gave me just the birthday boost I needed.
The shoes are special because I went to a special running store to get them. Apparently I have really bad feet that prone inward. Explains the shin splints I get.
Good-bye Shin Splints! Hello beautiful running shoes!
A birthday gift to myself was this wonderful 'Family' block sign I made and finished last night. I love it.
And Jill, your cute package I got the other day made me so happy. It came at the perfect time. The 'Joy' plate looks great on my shelf and m&m's tasted great. They're gone. Imagine that!
I got to curl up with the kids today and watch my FAVORITE Disney DVD thanks to a wake up surprise this morning from John. Thanks, hon. I love it. Tonight I get to go trick-or-treating with the kids, and tomorrow I get to go to dinner to one of my favorite restaurants.
I'm so excited!!
I'm so excited!!
Thanks to everyone who already called and e-mailed with birthday wishes!! I love you all!


37 comments:
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! I can't believe you're 30. That means that I'm only 2 years away from being there myself. Scary! Glad you've had a great birthday though! And the pumpkins are way cute!
It has been on my calendar and my mind to wish you Happy Birthday all day today, thanks for the reminder and the opportunity! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! 30 looks damn fine on you!
Happy Birthday! How fun to have a Halloween birthday. Hope you have a fabulous day and have fun at Mandarin. That is one of our favorites also!
Happy Birthday!!! I remember saying happy B-day to you last year...I know we don't "know" each other personally but I hope you know how much I appreciate your blog and you letting me take a peek into your life. I hope your birthday is a great one!!!
Happy Birthday!!!! That pumpkins story made me so sad, but I'm so glad it got repaired and you can still enjoy it! Have a wonderful day!
Happy birthday!! I thought about you yesterday. And then I saw you in my rearview mirror. Then I thought about you this mroning. And you posted. Weird! The 30's are awesome. And for some reason don't last very long!!
I'm sure you've gotten my messages, but I hope you have a fantastic birthday!!!
Happy Birthday!!! I'm so sorry about your pumpkin. At least it was fixable. :) Hope you have a great rest of the day.
Happy Birthday Hollyween!!!
Happy birthday! You don't look a day over 19, except that would mean you were awfully young when Levi came around! October birthdays are the best!
happy birthday!! excellent! welcome to my decade.
and your FAMILY blocks turned out great.
I bet you will cherish that broken pumpkin even more for years down the road, than you would've if the first pumpkin never would've broke from John's noggin! (sheesh that was a long, confusing sentence)
Look how great your "Family" blocks look! I wonder what brilliant mind came up with that idea?
Happy, happy birthday Holly! I have enjoyed getting to know you these past few months through the RS Presidency. It's so comforting to know that I'm not the only corrupt counselor. JK! You are golden my friend!
Happy Happy Birthday Holly dear, happy days will come to you all year...
Lame, I know...it just popped into my head.
Anyway, glad you are having a happy 30th!! Thirty-something ain't so bad! Especially when you still look like a 19 year old ;)
The family blocks are so great. Welcome to your 30's! I've been 30 for over four years now. It's great.
Happy Birthday. I hope you had a good one. We are still only 19 not 30. I look in the mirror and see 19, but the missionaries the other night thought I was 34. So I must have some magic mirror at my house. Happy Birthday.
Happy Happy Happy Birthday!!
I too am afraid of the big 3-0 coming up very shortly for me, you give me hope that it's not so bad ;)
Happy Birthday Holly! You totally don't look 30. You're beautiful in and out. So greatful I know you.
Holly! I am so glad that you got your pumpkin back! That was the sweetest thing! You are the bet and I am so glad that you had a great birthday! And honey, you still look 19!!!!
I've been thinking of you...Miss Hollyween!
Thirty is great and the best is still to come. Look at all you've accomplished in this short time. Enjoy and celebrate!!
Happy Birthday, pumpkin.
I meant to call you all day, and I meant to mail you something for your bday and didn't...so much for TRYING to be a good friend.
I sure do love ya and am glad you had a good day and got some fun surprises. I'm still having anxeity about turning 30 though. YIKES! You do the number well :)
Happy Birthday, YOU!
Wow...your little ceramic pumpkins took a beating, huh? At least repair could be done :)
I love the card that your husband gave you. You look totally fantastic and not a day over 21!
Ooooooh!! Happy Birthday, Buddy! And welcome to the 30's!! I am almost 3 years older than you! I am going to have to check out that restraunt too :)
I hope you had a good birthday!
I didn't realize you were born on Halloween. I guess that is why you are Hollyween. Very cute. 30 isn't to bad, huh.
Happy be-lated birthday!
Happy birthday (late late, I'm like the white rabbit, always late)
Hooray for new running shoes. I love those special running stores.
Are we going to do some more applesauce?
HOLLY HAPPY 30TH!!!!!!! The ceramic pumpkin story was so sad but it does look as good as new. It sounds like you had a great b-day! 30 isn't so bad right??
Oh I'm sorry I'm late -- I hope you had a fabulous birthday! Love your new shoes - Brooks are the BEST!!! xoxo
Happy Birthday!! I am glad your big 30 was a good day!
Holly, I can't believe I never see you anymore. Conner was just asking me the other day why we never hang out. It made me sad. I know our lives are all super busy but I do love and miss you. Call me sometime.
Happy Hollyween!
Glad you had a great birthday! So glad the pumpkin was saved. You will the love your 30's. They are great!
The story gets better every time i hear it, but I am just glad it has a happy ending. That was so nice of her to fix it for you. It's the little things...
You always have such great stories!
Sounds like you had a pretty good b-day! But I did not see a pict of the pedegg!!! You will have to tell me how it works. Can't wait till we go to dinner again!!! IT needs to be soon! Happy late B-day again!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! I was thinking of you on Halloween and sending birthday wishes!! (I'm not just making that up because I'm late posting this message. I really was!)
Holly I just wanted to grab you tight last week at lunch, and hold you. Even though I didn't drop it, and it wasn't mine, I felt like crying for a different reason. I had one of those weeks, and when you dropped it, I knew exactly how you felt. Exactly. So sorry that that had to happen to you.
Happy Birthday!!! Be-lated...
Hey holly!
Just thought I would comment way down here at the bottom. you're blog is cute and tear up at almost everything I have read. Hope you're staying sane. I loved turning 30. It's been a great 1 1/2 years so far :)
Susan
Happy Birthday! Thanks for stopping by on Halloween! Sorry I didn't tell you Happy Birthday then...my mind was wreaking havoc. But, I do hope you had a wonderful one, and I'm glad John was so sweet to you! You deserve it! Happy 30th dear friend!
Sounds like you had a great birthday! That stinks that 2 pumpkins got smashed! What a sweet husband you have.
I think you mean Dirty Flirty. Happy Birthday nonetheless.
Post a Comment