Thursday, July 1, 2010

Favorite Things

It's that time again. Time to tell you all about my faves.

Let's begin with cleaning products. I LOVE the new Soft Scrub Total products. I buy both the kitchen one and also the one for the bathroom. It cleans EVERYTHING and it smells nice too. But my favorite part? It's non-asphyxiating. There's nothing worse than cleaning your shower and coming close to passing out all the while gagging the entire time. This makes cleaning your shower/bathroom that much more enjoyable. And hey, since you're going to love it so much, wanna come clean mine?

Photobucket
Next is the new Swiffer dust and shine spray with Febreeze. Love it. It cleans great and you can use it on a whole bunch of things; not just wood. Plus it smells yummy.

Photobucket

I love reading, but I love it even more if I can be convinced that what I'm going to read is worthwhile. I don't have the patience to sit through a book that takes 200 or more pages to 'get into'. I admit I fall into the trap of reading what everyone else is reading which isn't super original. But does it make me happy? Yes.

I loved the first two books of The Hunger Games series and have the third one on order. The bummer is that I have to wait until the end of August to get it. Crud.

Photobucket

After Stie mentioned it on her blog and then my sister, Joyce, told me she saw Stie mention it and she was going to read it too, I got really hyped up about reading 'The Help'. And then my step-mom asked me if I wanted to borrow any of her books and she mentioned she had it. Yes, please! The hold list at the library was huge and I knew if I waited for that, it was going to take FOREVER. I even got it before my sister which I guess is sort of rude of me since she's the one who got me hyped up about it. But hey, the girl on bedrest should get first dibs, am I right?

LOVED. IT.

Photobucket

Recently, they built a Winco down the street from me. It just opened. I'm psyched. Winco is my fave. Cheap bulk, tons of bulk, yummy meat and produce with lots of variety and one word: Tillamook. If you haven't tried Tillamook yogurt and ice cream, you haven't lived.

Oh please oh please bless I don't have to go to Walmart as much now.

Photobucket

I used to worship the sun.
That is, until my husband got stage 3 Metastatic Melanoma and could have died. I'm a little smarter now. And you should be too!
It's alarming to me how many people truly think they're exempt from skin cancer. Many people think it can't happen to them or know how deadly it can be. I've spoken to so many people who believe you just get something 'cut off' and you're good to go or that you can't get it unless it runs in your family. Not so. Not so.
If you're going to a tanning bed, STOP. They have been proven to cause skin cancer. They're worse than laying out in the sun.
Melanoma is the second most common cancer in women between the ages of 20 and 35, and the leading cause of cancer death in women ages 25 to 30.
Ladies, please don't be stupid. Wear sunscreen. And lots of it. The higher the SPF the better.


Okay, off my soap box now and leading to why I brought it up...
I saw a little ad for Joliese self tanner. I got a free trial and only had to pay for shipping (3 bucks, baby).
Pros:
I've never EVER used a better self-tanner. It totally looks real and bronze. There's not even a hint of orange. It lasts for about 4 days.
Cons:
It will make a mess of your shower, but it does clean up really easily (especially if you use a Clorox wipe or something).

It will transfer on your clothes unless you're completely dry before putting them on.

Overall, totally worth it.
Here's a link where you can get a free sample too.
CLICK HERE

Photobucket

Next, I LOVE ♥ the equate brand makeup remover wipes. You can get a double pack of them for 6 bucks. SUPER CHEAP! Easy to take your makeup off at night with (I'm not one to soap up. Much too lazy for that) and great in the morning too.

Photobucket

If you don't have a PedEgg, get one. I had some friends get me one for my birthday a couple years ago and it took me forever to use it because I wasn't convinced I was going to love it. Once you try it, you'll never go back. I love being barefoot in the summer and this allows me to do it without scaring my neighbors and friends when I wear flipflops. Also, now I don't scratch my husbands leg hair and skin off at night. BONUS!!

You might miss being able to grate cheese on your feet at first, but I promise you'll get over it.

Photobucket

I saw the commercial for Spin Pins on TV a while ago and I was intrigued. Then Jessica highlighted them on her blog and I was sold. All you do is put them in the top and bottom of your hair bun and Ta Da! Done. Perfect for messy summer hair.
Just be sure you turn them clockwise and not counter-clockwise. I first thought mine were broken (yes, I realize this probably would only happen to me, but still) because I couldn't get them in. It only took me about an hour to figure out what I was doing wrong. Not bad for Holly.

Yay Spin Pins!!

Photobucket

A while ago I was talking to a friend of mine and became severely distracted because of her sparkly mascara (or so I thought). I kicked myself later for not asking her what she had on and where she got it. But I saw her recently and found out. Glitter eyeliner! So so cute. But not so cute you look like you're 14 years old. You can get it from Victoria's Secret in the checkout area. I chose Liquid Metal, but they have tons of colors. You could wear it alone, but I used mine over the top of my regular eyeliner.

Photobucket

I can't begin to tell you how much I love this next product. It has saved me from killing myself trying to answer the phone and falling down the stairs in the process. After our phone died about a year ago, we bought the Panasonic Talking Caller ID phone. It rings and tells you who's calling. It actually SPEAKS to you!

And don't pretend you don't screen your calls. Cuz I know you do.
Get it. You'll love it.

Photobucket

And last but certainly not least on the list of things I love....

Baby Hiccups in utero! I love that my whole belly bounces with the beat of the baby hiccup over and over again. Even when it happens in the middle of the night and wakes me up, I still love it and think it's so so cute. I'm counting down the days till I get to hold this new little baby in my arms! But I gotta say, I'm going to miss being pregnant. It's one of those experiences I relish and don't take for granted.


(and no, this is not a picture of my beautiful belly)
Photobucket


What are YOUR favorite things??! Comment and tell me or do a post and then tell me and I'll check it out.

16 comments:

Jill said...

I love your lists of faves. Last time i had to try the B&B lip gloss and now I'm hooked. I have a nice stock supply. I got a pedegg and haven't tried it yet. I think they are on sale at amazon right now. Seems like I've seen some recent deals for them. Thanks for the info...off to try some new things!!

Tristan said...

Love love the pedEgg!!! I use it weekly. Thanks for the info on the glitter liner. I love mine from Urban Decay, but I am going to try out yours too. Fun stuff!!

Melanie said...

You are too funny! Are you going to be at the 4th of July Breakfast?

Hollyween said...

Yes! I'll be there. Can't wait!

Lauren in GA said...

I love these posts of yours, Holly.

I agree, the PedEgg is such a marvel. I was honestly shocked that it works but it really does!

Preach on, Sista. Sunscreen is so important. I totally agree.

I am totally trying the Soft Scrub Total products. I really do fear I am just going to pass out one of these days from the cleaning products I have been using.

Thanks so much, Holly for your sweet and thoughtful comment on my blog. I love how you worded it...how you said that you hope I will be able to handle my sweet Nana's appearance as best I can and that I will be so glad that I saw her. Your comment really did help quell my fear. I have been nervous all day. We leave first thing in the morning.

the wrath of khandrea said...

funny, whenever i see pedegg i think of tristan bc of her post on it. it scarred me. friends should not show friends their foot shavings.
when you go to winco, may i recommend making your own trail mix from the bulk bins? i use craisins, cashew pieces (cheaper than whole), white choc chips, dark choc chips, and a bit of reg raisins. very yummy, and easy to put into small snack baggies for the kids.
and TRU DAT on the sunscreen. i am right there with you. embrace the pasty.

Jen said...

The pedEgg scares me! I've actually had nightmares about it. I don't know if I will ever get the courage to try it!

And you know me and cleaners... You are speaking my language friend! Believe it or not, I have not tried the new Soft Scrub cleaners, yet. And me and cleaners share a very, close, personal relationship!

I have a Panasonic phone also and it has saved me from having to sprint to the phone (and most likely bra-less). Bad images. Bad.

I will definitely be trying some of your favs! Some of your past favs are now some of my favs!

Kim said...

Wonderful post!! Thanks for sharing these great finds.

Christie said...

I am SOOOOO happy you liked The Help! Wasn't it just the best?

I'm totally sucked into the Outlander series right now. Pretty adult, ifyouknowwhatimean, but so good. There's like seven in the series, so I'll be reading them for a while.

Laura said...

Holly! I love your eyeliner, but worry about how it will look on me. I am totally afraid of the PedEgg. I am afraid of everything! Dang! Convince me more of the PedEgg. Let's talk about pain, or even discomfort -- is it there?
Winco is great!

Joanne said...

I can't wait to try that new soft scrub. When it comes to cleaning products, it has to totally be the best or I hate cleaning. And I'm so with you on the "wear sunscreen" thing. I cringe every time I see some 17-year-old out suntanning. My kids are constantly lathered in sunscreen...I just need to work on remembering to put it on myself more often!!

RobandNat said...

After reading your post I went and got the spin pins and LOVE them, thanks for sharing!

joyce said...

I can't think of anyone that needs the pedegg more than I do. Am I right? Why haven't you bought it for me yet? But I think I'm more intrigued about the soft scrub cleaner... must have. And yes, I'm loving "The Help" and YES, my copy (from the library) of "Outlander" has arrived!!

Rochelleht said...

Wow, how could I even compete with that list of favorite things? I can't wait to try the ones I don't already love. My favorite thing is being here in Utah and Idaho for the summmer. Ah, bliss.

Misty Zesiger said...

I love it when you list your favorite things!!! I'm going to have to try some of those out!!! I am so excited for your baby to come and I do miss the sweet things that babies do in utero, it is amazing!!! Take care of yourself and let me know if you need anything!

Jaylynn said...

Wow that's like better than Oprah's favorite things because it's stuff that real people can actually afford and use! Thanks for the tips! I got your blog address off facebook and became a follower because you're a doll!