Monday, June 14, 2010

Levi's Baptism Day

Levi was able to be baptized right on his birthday on Saturday, June 12th. I don't think any of us comprehended how TRULY SPECIAL this day was going to be for him. Friends and family came in droves to support him and you could really feel the special spirit of the day.

Levi first had an interview with Bishop Benson about a week before he was to be baptized to make sure he understood what baptism was and what it means. The bishop told him how proud he was of Levi and his decision to be baptized.

Photobucket

Levi and John getting ready.
Photobucket

Just about time...
Photobucket

Family friend Barbara, Me, Levi, John, Faith, Jack & Alice (John's mother and father)
Photobucket
My Grandma, Me, Levi, Faith, John, My Mom
Photobucket

I had REALLY good intentions of getting a picture of Levi with all his relatives, but unfortunately there was just too much fun and chatting to be had and it didn't work out that way. But Levi had A LOT of special friends and relatives come. There were AT LEAST 60-70 people there.

I knew we were going to have a big group and with the unseasonably COLD weather Utah has been having lately, I was worried. Our intial plan was to have the luncheon after the baptism in our backyard. But as we checked the weather forecast, we could see that was going to be hard and unfortunately our home isn't big enough to host upwards of 70 people. Then we decided to have the luncheon at the stake center bowery. I figured if it rained, at least we'd be covered. But two days before the baptism we found out it was already reserved. The cultural hall in the stake center? Nope. That was taken too. How about our own church's cultural hall? Nope. Taken for a wedding. So I went and rented a bowery from the city. But on the day of the baptism, the temp. dropped to 40 degrees and it wasn't just raining, it was POURING and it wasn't just pouring, it was windy and gray and yuck. I really can't remember a time in Levi's ENTIRE life where the weather was even close to the cold we felt on Saturday.

As the baptism came to a close, we kept waiting for the stake center cultural hall to fill up with people, but no one ever came. We decided at the last minute to just direct people in there and wing it. I had no pretty, circular tablecloths and no cute decorations, but ya know what? We weren't cold and everyone had a place to sit. I'm pretty sure my lack of decorations and cuteness-factor were easily forgiven once people realized they weren't going to have to sit outside in the rain.


Photobucket
My adorable friend, Monika, made Levi this amazing cake. It was a huge hit!
Monika is über-talented.

The cake proved to be a bit of a distraction for Faith, however. All she could think about was cake. While Levi was being confirmed, you could hear Faith screaming out, "Cake! I want cake! CAKE!!! CAAAAAAA-KE!!"

Photobucket

Levi begged to eat the entire cowboy hat on top of the cake. Hey, it was his birthday so I obliged.

Photobucket

The special feeling of Saturday carried over into Sunday. It was one of those times in your life you remember forever. I felt overwhelmed by how much I love my little family and how wonderful each of them are indiviually. I felt grateful for everything we have both spiritually and temporally. I want that feeling to last forever because it's hard to remember sometimes and so easy to get distracted and take things for granted.

Levi has always just been a really special kid. He's wholesome and good-natured. He's loving and sweet. Our family really hit the jackpot with him. He rarely gives me trouble and he's very obedient. I'm so proud of his decision to be baptized. I asked him how he felt afterwards and he told me he felt really, really good inside.


Dear Levi,

Your Dad and I are so proud of you. We love how grown-up you're becoming and your willingness to help others and make new friends. Ever since you were tiny, you have been receptive and sympathetic to the needs others. You have the gift of being loving and respectful to others, your elders and also to your little sister. The relationship the two of you have is a special one. You have a yearning for knowlege and spent all day Sunday reading your new scriptures and asking Dad to look things up for you. And then this morning, you were at it again. I don't know many 8 year olds who are too eager to do that. I hope you'll always stay close to your Heavenly Father and remember how close to Him you felt on your baptism day. He wants you to be happy. He loves you.

And so do we...

Love,

Mom ♥

Photobucket

11 comments:

Jeanelle said...

What a special and fun day!! So glad it all turned out. Great cake and I'm glad you let him eat the whole hat. :)

Lindsey said...

Super cute boy, super cute cake, super pregnant lady! (Just sayin') Loves to you all!

Lauren in GA said...

Awwwww, Happy Birthday to your big boy and congratulations on his baptism.

That is so great that you got to use the stake center cultural hall. Sorry about the cold, rainy weather you are having. We are having a heat wave here...I hate it when weather is so unpredictable.

You look so beautiful, Holly. You are beautiful to begin with and you are very beautiful pregnant.

I love the pictures of Levi in white and the last one with the flowers. Such a handsome fella.

Oh...and that cake was fabulous! I would have been yellling right along with Faith!!

Joanne said...

Congrats on a wonderful day. What a great little guy you have there!!

Christie said...

That is awesome. I love the big milestone birthdays best.

Rochelleht said...

I'm trying to focus on the awesomeness that is your oldest child's baptism, but unfortunately, I can't get past the flower arrangement you have. Sorry. I'm just shallow like that.

"I want flowers! FLOWERS! FLOOOO-WEEERSSS!!"

Jen said...

It was a great day and I'm so thankful that I was able to attend Levi's baptism!

You should have seen him in Primary on Sunday... he was seriously pumped about reading his new scriptures. When I was dismissing each class from sharing time, he was patiently waiting and reading his scriptures. I'm pretty sure I saw a halo emerge from his cute noggin and choirs of angels began to sing. It was a special moment for me. :)

L said...

What a great day. My Lindee was baptized on her birthday back in April and it was so sweet and perfect. I'm glad you are hanging in there. You look fabulous!

Melanie said...

What a beautiful day! I got baptized on my birthday as well and it made the day so special. Looks like the party went well. I hope it didn't stress you out too much, you always do a great job!

Lynsie said...

What a wonderful day for Levi, and for his family. Sorry we couldn't make it out :( He is such a wonderful boy, and you really are so lucky with him.
Happy Birthday Levi, we love you!!

BTW- You look awesome!

Tristan said...

Wow! What a neat experience for Levi!! He's such a handsome little guy!