Sunday, June 6, 2010

The Latest and Greatest

Yup, still on bedrest. It's about as good as you might expect. And actually, it has some pretty nice perks. For instance, when John comes home from work, I can mozy myself on upstairs and watch 2 hours of TV while he picks up the entire house and makes dinner without feeling guilty. Now, watching that TV uninterrupted is another story. Usually if I try to watch any TV, it's with a toddler next to me and we watch Max and Ruby, Little Bear (that Little Bear SURE has a super annoying voice and laugh), Yo Gabba Gabba ("Don't, Don't, Don't bite your friends"), or Oobi (Actually, this one is my favorite. If you watch it, I promise you'll laugh. It's completely demented. But ya gotta love Grampoo). What's sad is when an episode comes on and I've seen it already. Or worse, when I've seen it a few times.

Me at 32 1/2 Weeks pregnant looking a bit tired and puffy
Photobucket

So far, I've read two books: The Hunger Games and Catching Fire and I pre-ordered the third that comes out in August (can't wait!). I just started reading The Great and Terrible series and after that it's 'Boys Adrift' (thanks, Dad & Bette). It's a bit pathetic that I seem to read the books that I know EVERYONE else reads, but usually that's how I do it because I need to be entertained. You see, I REQUIRE page-turners to be happy. Any recommendations?

I LOVE a good crime show. But I usually forget when 'Dateline' and '48 Hours Investigates' are on, which is why my latest obsession with the 'Investigation Discovery' channel is so fantastic! There are crime shows on ALL. DAY. LONG. Wanna solve a murder? I'm your gal, baby. I know all about forensics, DNA and even what a maggot can tell you about how long someone's been dead. I've always loved a good murder mystery and even took Criminal Justice in college. It was my favorite class. Just don't ask me how well I did in it. I was dating John at the time. It's his fault.


I've spent a lot of my days imagining not only the much-awaited birth of our baby and what sex that baby might be, but also daydreaming about hospital food. You see, my local hospital has this AMAZING cafeteria. We're talking battered fries, big juicy made-to-order cheeseburgers and a HUGE salad bar. When I had Faith in the hospital, I got the 'regular plate' of hospital food. Ya know, the sickening tray with fake mashed potatoes on it and super chewy roast beef. But TWO WEEKS after I had Faith, they started a new policy where you could order whatever you wanted from their cafeteria. So you see, I've been waiting for 3 years to order from the downstairs cafeteria and I'm not about to waste this GOLDEN opportunity!

Levi has been out of school for a week. While he's definitely been helpful with Faith i.e., running up and down the stairs for me, entertaining her occasionally, helping her out with her demands, it's definitely not been perfect. Faith and Levi have a very sweet relationship, but they also fight like you can't believe. Usually it starts with Faith wanting Levi to do something that he doesn't want to do so he tells her no, she begs more and then he starts screaming at her while she's pulling on some article of clothing he's wearing all the while he's bawling WAY TOO much about whatever the problem is and she is screaming so loud I can't hear myself think. And then I have to come in and separate both of them to their rooms because they're both at fault all the while stewing about how mad I am that both of them made me move from my book or pause my crime show. Believe me, I've tried yelling at them from a distance, but it doesn't seem to do any good. Moving is the best option which, let's face it... sucks. I wonder sometimes if my kids just think I'm a lazy slob of a mom who likes to lay in the bed and read and watch TV, but then I realize I can't help it and they're just going to have to get over it. On the bright side, my doctor just told me I'm allowed to go swimming as much as I want. Yay!

I have THANKFULLY had a lot of help. John has been amazing. He insists I go lay down all the time. Levi vacuums, John does the dishes, and I've had neighbors and friends take my kids and bring over dinners. My sister, Laura, came over one day and cleaned my house and brought dinner a couple days later. I've decided that while things definitely aren't 'easy' per se, they are definitely pretty good and I can't complain about this condition which I know I'd do a MILLION times over if it meant bringing a healthy baby into the world and hey... at least I'm not hospitalized or delivering early, and hopefully neither of those things come to pass either.

Ever since I got put on bedrest, I've been working on my irritability issues which seem to peak when I'm pregnant. I honestly don't think I'm all that bad, but my fuse is definitely shorter than usual. So when Levi wipes his nose with his hand straight up to his forehead and then wipes it on his pants, I gently tell him not to do that. And when Faith asks for chocolate milk for the upteenth time in a day, I sweetly tell her that twenty two cups is enough for one day and she'll have to wait until tomorrow. And I never EVER yell at my kids and tell them they're driving me crazy. And chewing noises? What chewing noises?

Seriously. It's like 'Leave it to Beaver' over here. It's blissful.

17 comments:

the wrath of khandrea said...

i just finished boys adrift. it's heavy.

glad you are in good spirits. that's a big accomplishment in and of itself, given your prolonged exposure to gabba gabba.

Brett, Dany and family said...

If you want some good book recommendations "The mortal instruments" are good and so are "Percy Jackson" series.

Tristan said...

You are so adorable!! Love the preggo pics!!

Jylaire said...

You are so cute! Nat is bringing all my maternity clothes on over so you'll have a completely new wardrobe to veg out in! Let me know if I can help with anything!

Lindsey said...

So glad you guys are all blissful and cleaver-ish.

You need to set a timer for Castle. My favorite new crime drama.. with a funny twist. You would LOVE IT!

Marni said...

I've heard Maze Runner is similar to Hunger Games. Can't say for sure since I'm still in the library line. Ever read Ender's Game?

Hospital - Davis? If so, you also get a free salon treatment. And the food does rock. Don't miss out on the couple meal.

Jen said...

You and I should start our own detective/forensic team. While you breast feed your baby, we can perform stake outs and catch all of the scum of the earth. I dvr ALL of those detective shows and the hubs dvr's all of the cop shows. It's cop central at our house. Literally.

I can tell you have been "bed-resting" outside. You have some nice color on your arms! It'll be so worth the laying on the couch, your bed, the ground, reading books, having friends and family help, ample tv watching (especially of Oobie - did you happen to catch the episode of the singing lessons? The hair cracks me up.), and of course, bossing John around, to bring your baby into this lovely world of ours, safely. (that is the longest, annoying sentence ever.)

I forgot to bring our tent thingy over for you. I will drop it off some time tomorrow! It will most likely be sometime in the afternoon because I just can't seem to put on a bra anytime before 11am. No wonder I have such sagging issues.

Ned and Melanie said...

Okay, so the bed rest thing, sounds not too bad...well sometimes. I really want to come and see you this week and bring you tripleberry pie and entertainment. And yes, having events at my house causes me SO much stress! I totally lose it. By the time we got to Sacrament meeting I was soaked in sweat. It was a combo of the heat and the stress. I didn't calm down until everyone finally left the house. I'll email you on FB about coming out, but that is my tentative plan. :)

Lauren in GA said...

Holly, you are such an entertaining writer. I laughed so many times reading this. Sorry that you have to be exposed to dememted, as you called it, TV.

You look beautiful. I truly mean that. I know you probably don't believe me but you do!

I laughed at your saying that your grade in Criminal Justice is John's fault. I had a similar experience when I was engaged to Mike.

I laughed at the, "What chewing noises?", too. You are doing a great job, girlie.

Lisa-Marie said...

Your arms are the skinniest pregnant arms I've ever seen. I think you look GREAT!

This post made me happy cause I've been worried about you. You still have your sense of humor and I think that makes all the difference.

I too, can not wait to find out the sex of this baby! Fun!

Remind me what necklace you have? I can't remember. I need to get it updated as soon as that baby comes!!!

Laura said...

Holly -- you look great and I think you are handling the difficult situation very well! Hang in there!

Joanne said...

You look so beautiful! Good luck with the rest of the pregnancy. And enjoy Boys Adrift. My dad bought every family a copy and told us we just had to read it. I'm still trying to get though it! Very informative!

Annemarie said...

This is way better than a bachelorette post. I love that you can find humor in anything! And, you look beautiful.

I love oobi.

McMillan Family said...

You need to read the Uglies series. It is a really good series. Love the post so funny.

Kim said...

Haha - I love the way you describe your life. You have such a way with words. I'm so happy for you and your family and I can't wait to hear if it's a boy or a girl!

And - hey - I'm irritable and I'm not even pregnant so I'm pretty sure that it's very much okay for you to be irritable. Love ya!!

Rochelleht said...

You look great! Seriously.

Your bedrest is like our three day road trip. We read the same books...

Mariel said...

I loved "A Thousand Splendid Suns" and "I Have Lived a Thousand Years"...check 'em out!

You look great, I wish I was as close to the finish line as you!

Now, I'm off to read your Bachelorette recaps :) P.S. Your messy-up-do request was posted today. Hope it helps :)