Monday, April 19, 2010

It's Not Too Late To Post Pictures From October '09, RIGHT?

Remember when I told you I went on a sibling trip to visit my Dad and Step-Mom in Washington? Somehow I never got around to posting pictures. So for posterity's sake, here they are. And I'm sorry it's so late.

We decided our
LAST TRIP was so much fun we'd try to make it a yearly tradition. Unfortunately, not everyone could attend this past year. Grant and Joyce weren't able to make it, but we still had fun without them (although they were DEFINITELY missed).

It's funny to look back at these pictures because I was in quite possibly THE MOST AWKWARD STAGE of braces to date. We're talking a 4 inch gap in between my two front teeth. So, any smiles in the following pictures are completely absent of teeth or any hint of a smile at all (and rightly so. Believe me when I say you did NOT want to see that gap).

Moving on...
The drive to Washington is a highlight. Sure, we all get severely bloated from snack intake and our armpits start feeling a teense sticky by the end, but it IS SO MUCH FUN to sit in a car without screaming children in the back and carry on normal, adult-like conversation.

You see? I wasn't kidding with the awkward smiles, was I? It's really nice of me to post these pictures for everyone to see. Maybe now I understand why it took me so long
.

Photobucket

I LOVE this picture of my sister, Laura (below). You see, Laura thinks I'm pretty hilarious. She's laughing at me because I'm so funny.

But really, Laura was the one who was making me laugh my head off during the trip (which I really needed because it was a REALLY REALLY bad infertility time for me. Possibly my worst month EVER). I distinctly remember her fake sales pitch for 'Scab softening cream'. You had to be there, but believe me when I say you'd be rolling.

Photobucket


I also love this picture of my sister, Charlotte, because well... let's face it. It's hilarious. But look at her teeth! One day soon my teeth are going to be straight like my sisters' teeth. And then I can be lovely and smile with my mouth wide open just like they do. I can't wait. I'll be sure to post a picture when it happens.

Photobucket

Is it just me or does this picture scare the living crap out of you? Look at the road, CLARK! We're all going to die!

Photobucket

Four of the kids and my handsome Dad...

Photobucket

While we were at my Dad's house, there was a HORRIBLE incident. We were all hanging out one night and my brother Clark was making himself a health/protein shake. He added flax seed to it. My step-mom, Bette, wanted to taste it. She dipped the tip of her spoon in the shake and immediately started coughing. She coughed for quite a while. And pretty soon her coughing turned into wheezing. And pretty soon after that, her wheezing turned into her not being able to breathe very well. It was VERY SCARY. And then all of a sudden, she collapsed on the floor. And we had to dial 911. Once she came to and we were waiting for the ambulance, I asked her if I could take a picture of her on the floor so I could put it on my blog, but for some reason all she cared about was her stupid hair brush because she wanted to brush her hair so she could look pretty for the hot ambulance guys once they got there. That and she wanted to brush her teeth. Oh, and she wanted to tell us about her new comforter. And all of this happened while she was trying to come to and she was laying on the floor and she sounded a bit drunk. She was making us laugh, but we were also REALLY worried so it was really nervous laughter. She passed out three times and I hope I never have to see that again because it made everyone scared and worried; especially my Dad.

It turns out that Bette had a pretty SEVERE allergic reaction that we eventually found out was affecting her kidneys and giving her a LOT of problems. And it's all Clark's fault. He was the one with the shake, afterall. He was trying to POISON her! And we kept telling him that to make him feel better since he was having a lot of guilt over the stupid shake.

Poor Bette had to be in the hospital practically our entire visit. We sure missed her, but we visited. She pretty much hated being stuck in the hospital bed. She's not one to 'sit down and take it easy'.


Photobucket

Even though the trip didn't go perfectly, we still had a wonderful time. I can't wait to go this year! Hey Dad and Bette, can I come this year and bring my nursing baby with me? Pretty please? I promise to be good.

And to not poison you like someone else I know.

12 comments:

Melanie said...

My gosh! I didn't ever hear about Aunt Bette. That is awful! I'm with you though, totally Clark's fault. I think it's awesome that you guys all get to go up to see them. Looks like a fun trip.

Joanne said...

I love that you guys do this. So awesome. Enjoy it this year and don't let Clark near Aunt Bette!

Jennie said...

I am very glad you posted these from last October. It made for a fun post. I'm glad Bette's okay and hope you get to go again, even if it's with a baby.

Laura said...

I was thinking about "Laura's Scab Softening Cream" the other day. It really needs to be invented. I am working on it. I also need to work on a device will prevent "hosiery tourniquet." Long story...it is a problem when you try to strategically arrange holes in nylons, etc.

charbetrichey said...

Bring it on! We are ready for baby, Clark and everything else you might want to throw at us. I have my epi-pen ready. Clark has promised to bring me my own shake so he doesn't have to share. :-)
We LOVE it when you guys come up.

Lauren in GA said...

Oh, my goodness...that was a serious reaction. I kind of laughed at the fact that she wanted to tell you about her new comforter while she was fading in and out of consciousness.

I love that you will be returning with a nursing baby. Especially since you were feeling so low about infertility during the last trip.

I have things to post from ages ago, too. I am glad you posted this. You look beautiful in the pictures. Don't argue with me. I know of what I speak.

Amateur Steph said...

I'm surprised Grandma Bette didn't ask for her lipstick while she was fading in and out. :)
I always love visiting them! I'm glad you had such a good time.

Irene said...

I think I love Miz Bette almost as much as her handsome husband does. Can you leave Clark home next time? ;-)

Anonymous said...

No, don't leave Clark home. He is the one that creates the fun. Seriously, Clark didn't do anything but mind his business. I asked to taste the shake, after all it was chocolate. And in his defense, the flax seed was already in the shake, he didn't add it.

I think I need some "Laura's Scab Softening Cream" just in case. In case of what, I really don't know.

Irene said...

Uh-oh! I'm in trouble with Miz Bette now. You know I'm kidding about leaving Clark home, right? In fact, I thing you guys should include me in your next trip! I'm only a little over 3 hours away! And I'm not allergic to flax seed, so no worries! ;-) Love, Aunt Irene

Kim said...

That poor gal!! Brothers are always trying to do mean stuff to the girls in the family. Haha - j/k (kind of). Looks like so much fun. I don't think there's enough love between my siblings to be able to go on a road trip together, but I'd love to go with YOUR family - they look like fun!

Sunny said...

I don't know how we can arrange a meet-up when you are in Wash. next... so close but still far... do you have any more relatives in Puyallup who need to get married? If they are still single I can work on fixing them up!