Thursday, July 31, 2008

Weaning Woes and Weaning Whoo Hoo's!


Faith and me on her birthday 6/16/08

It is done. The breastfeeding, that is. I can't believe that I lasted as long as I did. 13 and a half months. My last day was Sunday, the 27th. I kept telling people that Sunday was going to be my last day and people would look at me and cock their head to the side like they didn't believe me. And I don't blame them. I didn't really believe myself even when I said it out loud. In fact, when Sunday morning came around and I was giving the so-called 'last feeding', I thought to myself that I'd quit the next day instead. And then Monday morning came and I just didn't want to make a big THING out of it. So I got her out of her crib and came downstairs. And that was it. She's pulled at my shirt a couple times, but the moo cow is now empty. It's gone. All gone. So I guess that makes it official.

(Thanks for the blog idea, Stephanie)

Reasons to have woes:

  • No more quiet time with Faith while she gazes into my eyes lovingly and rubs my hair and my back.
  • No more feeling like I have a little baby who depends on me for nourishment.
  • I have to fast again.
  • I can't sleep in the recliner when she wakes up in the morning and use it as an excuse to sleep just a litte longer.
  • In fact, I can't sit in the recliner at all as she associates it with nursing.
  • I'm thinking that Faith's BM's might not be as reliable since she's having whole milk now, but so far she's fine.
  • My boobs are going to get smaller.

Reasons to Whoo Hoo!:

  • I get to fast again.
  • My boobs are going to be smaller which hopefully means I get smaller in other places.
  • I'm counting on losing that 'last ten pounds' that people say you lose after you give up breastfeeding. It's going to just fall off. Right? RIGHT??!!!
  • Caffeine is calling my name and that makes me so happy.
  • I get to get a new bra.
  • My g's will no longer be stretched out and ruined from yanking them down because I got sick of the nursing g's and nursing bras.
  • I can go on a girls overnighter with my sisters and my favorite cousin next week and not worry about the poor starving baby at home.
  • John can get up now with the baby instead of me on the VERY RARE occasion that she might wake up. Right, John?
  • No more biting and bruising.
  • No more planning my days and evenings around nursing. I'm free!Now I get to dream about having another one and doing it all over again.

A little video of Faith and the new game she likes to play. This is what she sounds like ALL DAY LONG. I am totally and completely in love with her loud little girl voice.

(Pause my music on the left-hand side so that you can hear Faith in all her adorableness)

30 comments:

Jennie said...

Love the video! I only got to nurse for 4 1/2 months, then 3 months then not at all (for obvious reasons). I can't fast. I always feel guilty when I have to eat something at church on fast Sunday. Oh well. Congrats on the big girl-move on! Have fun on the overnight next week!!

Hannah said...

I loved BFing my first...I didn't have any milk with my 2nd!! I hope I can BF my next baby!

It is a happy/sad day when it ends!

Hope we can meet up while Jill is here.

♥Shally said...

YOU DID IT!!

I have to admit, I was thinking you were going to keep postponing it... :)

What is it with doors?? All 4 of my kids were (and Cam still is) obsessed with them!

Love her little loud voice!

Annemarie said...

YAY!!! You stuck to it! I agree that it is kind of a bummer to have to fast again...

joyce said...

Yay! I'm so excited to hear her chattering voice this weekend. She is so funny! Ian does that same thing with the doors, only quieter. Love her voice! Congrats on the ending the nursing with little or no drama. Good job! See you tomorrow, and the next day, and the next day...

shauna said...

It is funny to try to nurse them again after they have been weaned for a few months--they're like, "What the heck it that?"

Loved nursing. Don't love the 36C's that turned into to 36 Longs.

Cute, cute video!

Anonymous said...

She is so cute! That little voice, and the slamming the door in your face at the end made me think of my teenage days...yikes!

chrissy said...

I hear ya, sista. Our babies were on the same timeline. I quit nursing Olivia about the same age. Three days later, I thought I had maybe made a mistake, so I tried to start nursing her again. She looked at me like I was a complete weirdo! She had already "forgotten" all about nursing. So I guess that was that!

Amateur Steph said...

Nursing is nice, but it's nice to be done too! Faith really does have an adorable voice.
Thanks for the link, too!

Vickie said...

I love her voice!!!! It's so stinking cute! I remember that feeling of being really happy and really sad to be done with nursing. The freedom is great! But it's sad to not have that alone time. Congrats on making it this long. That's awesome!

Becky said...

Good job. I weaned kinda like that too. I am glad it worked out well for you.
Can I just say that I could listen to that little voice all day. It is so stink'n cute!! LOVE it!

Anonymous said...

Cutest video ever! That voice is adorable. Weaning is so happy sad....but mostly sad I think.

Christie said...

You always think you're excited to be done nursing, but then it's a sad, sad day to stop. Congrats on following it through to the end!

Sarah said...

I love her voice! Tres was laughing too. He thought she was pretty funny.

Jessica said...

I always think my babies should be a little melancholy with me. LIke they should understand the mood or something. But since I nurse as long as you, and there's barely anything in there anyway...they never care.

Melissa-Mc said...

Every milestone reached is always a little bittersweet. Good job, mom. She is SO cute!

D-dawg said...

So cute Holly! I love that first picture of you. Good job being done! It is so hard to finally call it quits so I'm proud of you. Sorry about the fasting though.

Lisa-Marie said...

Way to go!!!!

My kids loved watching Faith. They laughed and laughed. She is a doll!

Marni said...

Oh, I miss nursing. All that lovey cuddly time. You just know when it's time to be done, but it's still wonderful.

Faith's little jabberty jabber is so cute and funny. She cracked me up every time she started yacking.

Crissy said...

Congrats, Girl!! I don't know how that all feels because I wasn't able to do any of that. Have fun with your new found freedom you deserve it! :)

Jen said...

I wouldn't know what it's like to have weaning woes... neither one of my children would latch on (and I really tried with Conner, the poop). I pumped. Forever. And ever. Just like that pioneer children song from Primary... pioneer children sang as they walked, and walked, and walked... my breast feeding song would go like this... Jennifer sang as she pumped, and pumped, and pumped.

Then of course I had NO supply! I have the goods, man! But they seem to be defective!

Jen said...

I forgot to tell you, YOU DID IT! I look up to anyone who can breast feed for a full year.

Have fun with your new found freedom!

mahina said...

i am totally with you on the fasting and the boobs getting smaller. i am not well endowed, unless i am pregnant or nursing, so it is a sad day when i lose those. and as much as i enjoy the blessings of fasting, i sure love to eat on fast sunday when i am nursing!

that little voice of gibberish sure is cute!

Lauren in GA said...

Her little voice is so, so adorable! I totally agree!

Yay, for you! I love the way you posted about it...the woes vs. the Whoo hoos :)

Rochelleht said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE nursing. It was so sad when we weaned, too. I could TOTALLY be a wet nurse and LOVE it. Seriously love it.

Kim said...

She has the CUTEST little voice! I love it! Congratulations on making it that long with nursing!

Jylaire said...

I was exactly the same way with weaning my kids. Heck, they were both 13 months, and I still cried and cried. I'm a pansy, I guess! Even with knowing how liberating the experience is (not scheduling your entire life around nursing) I was still sad with my second! As for those last 10 lbs...I actually GAINED 10 after I stopped nursing, and it sucked! Good luck!

The Brann's said...

I can't believe you lasted that long with the breastfeeding. Horrible as is sounds, that just wasn't one of the things I enjoyed best about having a baby.

Faith's video is so adorable. Loved the TP all over the floor...ha ha ha!!!!

Jill said...

Adorable video...so funny. She is so freakin' stinkin' cute!
Way to quit the booby feeds to! Yippee for you...you did an awesome job with her. 13 months longer than I would ever do! lol.

raising4boys said...

Hi Holly,

I linked to you from Misty's blog...what happened to her blogging anyway? Remember I use to live in your neighborhood?

I just finished nursing my baby too and thought about posting it. It was a last for me. It's a little sad but I'm ready to be free, and I want to go bra shopping too :)Most of all I'm glad because I can get a better pain killer for my headaches.