Sunday, June 22, 2008

The BELATED Seattle Post

Yeah, yeah. I know. I've been back from our trip from Washington for nearly two weeks and I still haven't done a post about it. Until now, that is. Here's what we did in a nutshell.




First, you must know that we drove. With two children, one of whom wasn't even a year old at the time. Thank goodness for portable DVD players and friends who loan them to you, is all I can say. John and I expected the worst possible drive EVER. But ya know what? It really wasn't. The kids even did this part of the time (please notice Faith's face. She was sticky from head to toe because we kept passing treats back to keep her happy:




The first stop on our 10 hour drive was to visit my Dad and Step-mom in Kennewick. My Dad basically had it calculated to the minute of when we would walk through the door. I think they were anxious for our arrival. But definitely not as anxious as we were to get there. When we walked in the door, we had a beautiful sit-down dinner waiting for us and wonderful accommodations. It was my first time seeing their Kennewick home and it was really lovely. I didn't want to leave. And it made me feel like a kid again getting pampered and taken care of with meals cooked for me the whole time. I wonder if that's what it feels like to be famous?




I just learned that the store WINCO stands for Washington, Idaho, Nevada, Colorado and Oregon. Oh, how I wish there was a 'U' in there somewhere. It's my favorite place. Ever. And ya know what they have there? ROCK CANDY!!!!! I haven't had rock candy since I was a kid. Did you know that rock candy has the very essential ingredient of chocolate??


I'm craving it as we speak. You should know that I consumed about a pound and afterwards my stomach protruded like a 5 month pregnant woman. It's not a vacation unless you eat yourself sick, I say.


The candy is pictured below. It looks like beautiful polished rocks. That is until you bit them and see the delicious chocolate center!




The next day, my Dad had taken off work to spend some time with us. First we went to a great park right on the Colombia River shoreline, then to lunch and then off to Sacajawea State Park.




My Dad and Faith at the Park. Yes. Those are chips we are feeding my baby.


Bette, My Dad and Levi at the park.

Shoreline of the Colombia River

John and Levi put their feet into the Colombia River.

The next morning we were off to Puyallup where we stayed for three nights. The very first thing I saw when we started driving were the beautiful rhododendrons. They were EVERYWHERE!! I immediately wanted to come home and plant some. That is until I found out they don't do so well here.

John served his LDS Mission in the Puyallup area of Washington. Below is a picture of just one of the places John lived. Believe me when I say the picture doesn't do it justice. We thought we were going to get shot. Seriously.



The following morning we were off to BEAUTIFUL SEATTLE!!!

We took the ferry from Bainbridge Island on the Olympic Peninsula. It was so much fun!! It was FREEZING COLD most of the time we were in Washington. But I honestly didn't care.
Faith thought it was fun to crawl around in the disgusting ferry. That kid has never been so dirty as when she was on this trip.
Here's John and Levi on the outside deck of the ferry.

Anyone who knows me probably knows that one of the things I was MOST excited to do on the trip would be the FOOD. I seriously had dreams about it before we left. As soon as we got off the ferry, my dreams all came true when we went to Ivar's restaurant. It's right off the pier and we got this great window seat where got to see the waterfront fire boats and a cute sea lion that kept dipping in and out of the water. Levi and Faith were in HEAVEN.
I'm dreaming again about the food. Namely the crab dip appetizer we had. OH. MY. GOSH. It was delectable.

Levi, John and Faith at our seat. Faith loved the clam chowder.


After lunch we were off to see the Space Needle. I tried not to barf as we took the ride to the top. It felt like we were going to fall off. And my mind thought up all these horrible scenarios of how far the drop would be. You don't realize how high up you are until you hop on the elevator and start moving.
I never knew how afraid of heights I was until I was at the top. Holding Faith near the edge really freaked me out. And when Levi was trying to climb up the wall a little to see out, I freaked everyone out that was up there when I yelled for him to get down.
There was a lady at the top that took our picture. Then we wanted one from another angle and we asked her again. She said to us, "you guys don't get out much, do you?" It was sort of funny and sort of rude all at the same time. OH, and sort of true.


Here's Levi freaking me out at the top of the Space Needle.

After our fun experience at the Space Needle, we were off to Pike's Market. It was one of my favorite things about the entire trip. They have these HUGE bouquets of flowers that are only like 10 bucks. It's amazing. John kept offering to buy me some, but I didn't know what I would do with them. Oh, and all the produce!! If I lived close to that market, I would be there every single day.


Here's Levi just outside of the market next to the grungiest of the grunge band. See that person on the right? It's a girl. For serious. Zoom in on the picture and check out Levi's face. Oh, and while you're at it, check out the band and the man-chick.


You haven't experienced Pike's Market unless you see the guys throwing the fish. Too bad I didn't get an actual picture of a fish in the air. You'll just have to imagine it.
On our way out, I decided to buy a ring. It's a gorgeous purple jade. They didn't have my size so I decided to get the size bigger and have it re-sized when I got home. I wore it out of the market. I had to go to the bathroom at the grossest McDonald's EVER. What happened, you ask? Let me tell you. My ring slipped off my finger and into the black hole of the McDonald's toilet. I stood there for a second deciding what to do. I had just bought it not 15 minutes earlier. The bathroom was crowded with tons of people. People who could probably see through the tiny cracks of the stall. I did what anyone should have done to save their precious treasure and dove in to the toilet, pants still around my ankles and retrieved my purple ring. I wonder if anyone saw me through the cracks.
Don't worry. I washed my hands four times. But once I told John the story, he decided he didn't want to hold my hand anymore. RUDE!

One of the other reasons (besides our own selfish ones) for going to Seattle was to attend the wedding of our nephew on John's side. Nate and Kate (isn't that cute) got married in the Seattle temple. The grounds were so beautiful!

Later that evening was the reception. The funniest thing happened there. While the bride was dancing with her father, Levi decided he would like to dance too. He sought out a girl (twice his size) and asked her to dance. He was very serious. She said yes and he put his arms around her and danced back and forth, back and forth perfectly to the song. He kept looking at Kate's Dad and following every move he made. He'd put both hands up on her shoulders, then he'd clasp his right hand in her left while his left hand on her shoulder, then back to both hands on her shoulders. We were all DYING!!!!!! We didn't capture the moment until he chose to dance with her a second time. Nothing was like the first!!!! The whole place was roaring with laughter.
The clincher was when the song was over and he thanked her and then puckered up for a kiss. The girl shrugged her shoulders, bent down and gave him one smack dab on the lips. When the song was over, Levi literally had a LINE of little girls (at least 5) waiting to be next to dance with him. They were all giddy an blushing. It's going to be one of those moments that's talked about for years. That Levi is such a ham!
Here's Levi and the lucky lady



Footage of the dancing. I SO SO SO SO BADLY wish I had footage of the original dance. This is still cute, but still...
The next day, we were back off to Kennewick to break up the driving time. Once again, my Dad and Bette had a lovely dinner waiting for us. It felt like home and we just relaxed and enjoyed ourselves. We also got to see the Colombia River Washington Temple. It was beautiful. It even had little wild bunnies just hopping around the grounds.




We got a good night's sleep and prepared for the long drive home. The kids did well again. We were so lucky!!! Levi finally got his happymeal that he'd been begging for since the trip started.
This trip went without a hitch! I already want to go back desperately!! Family vacations are so much fun. They really put things into perspective. It took a while to function normally once we got home. Which explains why this post took me so long to get to.
If you read this far, you're either family or a true fan. Thank-You!!!

42 comments:

Vickie said...

What a fun vacation! I love Washington. I'd love to go up there and visit some family. That's so cute that Levi danced with all the girls. So cute!

Anonymous said...

Guess I'm both, family and a true fan. You didn't tell us about the ring. Yuck! We had so much fun with you and your family. We hope that you come back soon.
Love you, WSM

♥Shally said...

1. LOVE Faith's sticky face! (we do the same thing when we travel!)

2. Just thinking about how high you were made me kinda dizzy.

3. Your ring!!! Ewwww... but so necessary.

Jen said...

Okay, the man-chick! I want to know how you came to the conclusion that he/she was a man? Did you personally zoom in for a look see? Cause, I could not tell after clicking on that picture.

I think I would have the same expression on my face, as Levi's, if I saw that nifty band in person, also.

Levi dancing is priceless! What rhythm! What finesse! I'm sooo impressed!

So glad your trip went with out a hitch, and that your family is home safe and sound.

Jake said...

Ha! Love the ring story. Classic!

the wrath of khandrea said...

would it be rude to say HA HA, i got a picture of the flying fish?

because i did.

i guess i'll post about it eventually. apparently i have at least 2 weeks before i have to post.
seattle is awesome. too bad we missed each other. we're going back in about a week and a half. and this time, my husband actually gets to come home with me!! YAY!

glad your trip was a success.

Melissa-Mc said...

I was raised in Seattle. I grew up on Mercer Island. It sounds like you saw all the great sites. Everytime I go back to visit, I HAVE to go get some Ivar's clam chowder.

I'm glad you had a great time!

Sarah said...

How fun! I want to go there. That grunge band, horrible. Ring story, priceless. I would've dove in too.

Lorena said...

I read the whole thing...you love me now, don't you?

Ewww on the ring, but I have done the same with keys, a cell phone, and much more. Funny John not wanting to hold your hand.

Cute Levi dancing...quite the ladies' man.

Glad you're back...we'll see you in a few weeks. What are we doing anyway? Email me.

Amateur Steph said...

The Levi dancing story is so funny! I love it. Glad you guys had a fun vacation. I love Seattle and your pics make me want to visit "Beautiful Downtown Kennewick."
Oh yeah, I heard they are looking at building a Winco at the intersection of 6000 and 3500 in Roy.

Hollyween said...

Stephanie,
you're kidding right? I can't tell if you're being serious or if you're kidding! I would DIE to have a WINCO close by!

Lauren in GA said...

That is so cute about Levi dancing with the ladies!

I have never had rock candy like you described...and I really want some!

I loved all the pictures...especially the sleeping car ones.

And I am glad you didn't get shot while visiting John's former mission area. That really could have put a damper on the trip ;)

Jennie said...

Fan here! I keep forgetting to ask you about your trip when I talk to you or see you! Glad you finally did a post! Loved it!

I did the toilet dive for lip stick and liner once. When I got out of the stall I realized I would never put it on my mouth again and tossed them both. It was hard! I feel your pain!

Anonymous said...

I live in Oregon and and shop at WINCO didn't know about the WINCO thing. I am in Utah now and loving the warmer weather. And I tell you what...amen to those portable DVD players!!!!

Anonymous said...

Go Levi, working the ladies. That's so funny.

I LOVE Winco. They probably had the Pop Rocks in bulk huh? :)

The pictures of the kids asleep in the car are the best. The sign of a great vacation- kids are exhausted.I love Seattle.

Bridget said...

OK that last comment was me. I didn't mean to be anonymous.

Nortorious said...

I feel you on the late trip posts. By the time you get back and have some of the laundry done you're just so over it.
Looks like a fun trip!

Jeanelle said...

So glad you had fun here and I'm sorry our weather was so crummy for you. It's been warm the last couple of weeks and will be pushing 90 by this weekend! I shop at Winco all the time and have a love/hate relationship with it. I'll blog about it someday. Anyway, I'll think of you next time I go! :)

Laura said...

Oh, Holly, I am so jealous! It sounds so fun. I can only hope our trip to Arizona this weekend for Julia's wedding will be as fun. Sigh. With all the stress and "step" issues, it is hard to have hope that it will be as fun. I can't wait to go visit Dad and Bette.

Crissy said...

Sounds like you all had a fun and adventurous trip :)
Sorry to hear about the diving for the ring in the toilet. That would totally gross me out too.
Love all the photos, Holly! And we know about the getting the junk food to keep the kidlets quiet during a long drive. Works like a charm ;)

Lynsie said...

Well Holly, I am family, and a true fan!
I love your blog, and reading it makes me happy. And its about time you posted about Washington, I was gonna ask you about it Friday at the game, but I thought I would wait for the post.
My mom came back and raved about the flowers up there, I am so jealous.
I am also jealous that I wasn't there to witness levi's fist dance, and KISS!!
I would have died laughing, he is a HAM.
Oh, and John, me and Alan used to live in a place like that, where you thought you'd get shot. Once a drug dealer, or user, or something hid in our bushes by the back door, I thought he was gonna break in. I couldn't sleep that night.

Becky said...

Okay..that story about Levi and the dancing killed me. I was dying. He is too funny. What a blessing to have such a great kid. I am glad you guys had fun!

Jill said...

What a fun trip! Glad you could get away and have a good time. Cute pix, great trip. I love Washington. That is where Tanner was born and I want to go back...it's so beautiful.
That cracks me up about Levi too...what a stud.

Jylaire said...

Isn't it great that kids usually do so much better than we expect? What a cute post about a super fun trip! Glad you got your ring back!

Jenibelle said...

A true fan!! I love Seattle, we lived there when I was younger. My Birthdad has property there in Kennewick. Byron and I honeymooned there and Victoria, I love it.Pike's Market is the best, ferry's, the floating bridge, fresh crab and sourdough....ahhh... I want to go!

D-dawg said...

How fun Holly! We went to Seattle last year and loved it. My husband walked by when I was looking at your blog and saw that picture of Faith with her chocolate mouth and laughed. It is so so darling.

chrissy said...

I love Seattle! I'm jealous you got to go up there.

I have to say, Levi's a little stud. Watch out, ladies!

Kim said...

That kills me that Levi expected a kiss from her! Too funny! Don't feel too bad, I would have retrieved the pretty purple ring too. I have a friend that lives on Bainbridge Island and I really want to visit her, your post has motivated me to make it happen sooner than later. Sounds like so much fun - glad you made it back and that it was so great for ya'll!

erin said...

Sounds like a fun vacation. Not jealous of the drive. My boys wouldn't last long at all. That is probably why I hardly come home anymore =(

Kari said...

I totally dread long drives in the car because Sara throws up the whole way and there is just nothing like the smell of vomit when you are confined in a small box for hours on end. But it sounds like you made it with little incident! Glad you had a great time, your kids kill me they are so cute!
kar

Anonymous said...

Wow! This was so fun to read! Your ring story was priceless. You little stinker, you didn't tell me the gorey incident on Saturday when you showed me how beautiful your ring truly is! The way that you word your sentences is so interesting to follow. You are a very gifted writer! Ivars is one of my favorite places to go. Oh, I can truly understand how much fun you really had. I'm so glad you were able to make the trip and that you are back safe and sound. Love, mom

queenieweenie said...

What a fun trip. Seattle is one of my favorite vacation spots. There's just something about that city!

Your kids are WAY cute.

Rochelleht said...

Yes, I agree food is an essential for any trip, so what does that say about me? I'm in Utah for the entire summer! I'm screwed.

joyce said...

Finally, I've had a chance to check out your post today!!! Very fun to read, Holly. I love that picture of you with Faith on the ferry. Ahhh, maybe one day I'll get to go visit Dad and Bette. Dealing with Ian for 3 hours in the car makes me think that I'm glad we didn't go this year. Just curious, how on earth do you know for sure that it's a woman and not a man in that band. Looks like a grungy man to me. Ew!!
Talk to you soon!!

The Brann's said...

Seeing in front of the Seattle temple brings back memories for me. When I lived up there, I worked just around the corner from there. Used to drive by it on my way home all the time.

Glad you had a great time on your trip!!

L said...

What a trip! How fun!

So I think I saw you today at the aquatic center. I was running my daughter to the bathroom (emergency of course), I was so excited to come meet you when we came out, but I couldn't find you anywhere (if it was even you in the first place:>). Someday we shall meet!

Tara Williams said...

Wow! What a trip! I, too, love the chocolate-face Faith pic. Me and my hubby are venturing to fly non-stop from Tennessee to Utah with our 5 yr old and 1 yr old. I'm scared!! I guess it's better than driving, right?

Tara Williams said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Holly!!!!!!! Wonderful trip and fabulous photos! I also like rock candy and it is so addictive isn't it? haha After eating it you put on at least a ' rock ', of pounds. I have a testimony of that fact!!!

Good to see Levi has picked up some of those Thompson genes in the ' smooth as gravy ', department! haha He truely is a little charmer.
love Marsha moo moo

Hazen5 said...

What a great trip! You are a trooper for driving! I want one of those pink trees too!

diane said...

Seattle is a great city for families. Glad you had a good trip.

Lisa said...

Hi Holly! I am introducing myself... :) I'm Lisa, Remember that phone call with Jill on Tuesday?! Ha Ha. What a fun trip! I lived in Seattle for a year (I was 14) but remember it. I totally remember the guys throwing the fish at Pikes Market, That was so cool. They were crazy!
You kids are way cute. Our three kids are well travelled. They have learned to sleep in the car very well, I love your pic's of yours asleep, we have many of those from car trips. And yes, Thank goodness for DVD players, we couldn't have made that drive from Utah to here without them! Fun stuff!