Wednesday, March 12, 2008

The Never-Ending TASK


Laundry really is the never-ending task. I gripe about the laundry a lot. John's favorite thing to say to me is "Why are you so surprised?" There's nothing more aggravating to me than when I think I'm caught up on something but I look at the dirty clothes bin and it's full ... AGAIN! Even though I'm annoyed at laundry, it's one of those things I'm pretty good at. I get it done. I'm almost always on top of it. But for some reason, there's always that one remaining load that stays in the dryer (and on a bad day... the washer) that you have to live out of until it's time to do the wash again. Why is that? It's usually G's, towels or sheets. I wish I was like this person and had a perfect laundry system. But I don't. I don't have a DAY where I do the laundry. I do it when it needs it and I feel like I'm doing it a lot. Like, at LEAST load a day. I only recently started using a laundry basket. Don't ask me why. It wasn't even my idea. John said to me one day (when he saw me balancing the G's into perfect rolls clear up to my armpits and carrying them upstairs) "Hey, we have a laundry basket, ya know." Ding Ding Ding! Laundry basket! Why didn't I think of that?
And as long as we're talking about laundry,
Why is folding these clothes...
Not nearly as fun as folding these clothes?

Small pink things are so much more exciting to fold.

37 comments:

Hillary said...

It will NEVER end. Even though I wish it would. My oldest is old enough to do hers, but it usually ends up on the "laundry chair". Next I will be teaching her to fold! (she knows, just doesn't want to.) It's my least favorite part, too.

I just wait for my mom to come over. SHe loves to fold.

Jessica said...

Thanks for the link!

It really is true about the whole baby clothes being more fun. For me, I love looking at the piles and realizing what cute clothes she has, and how that makes me an awesome mother because I am so adept at making her look cute!

Jennie said...

Today is laundry day! Wednesday and Saturday are my official days. Although I do some in between, too. I just love the smell the laundry room has when I do it. My kids all fold their own...not perfectly, not even nicely, but I don't have to do it. There is always that last Saturday load after kid showers that stays until Wednesday(unless) someone runs out of something!).

Lauren in GA said...

I hear ya! It is so frustrating that I never seem to get the laundry all the way done. One day in Relief Society years ago, this witty woman in our ward said that she feels she is far to brilliant to be weighed down with mundane, boring tasks like laundry and housework. She was joking and we all had a good laugh. *sigh* I think we are all too brilliant to be weighed down with the mundane but...if we didn't do the chores I guess we would be filthy, grimy and brilliant. *sigh*

Christie said...

Laundry is a chore. Always. I've hated it since the beginning of time. Well, not that long, but a pretty long time anyway.

Becky B said...

Call me crazy, but I actually like to do laundry. Maybe because I don't have a ton to do but there is something about the sense of accomplishment when it's all done and there is nothing left in the laundry basket! The thing I don't like is ironing...that is THE worst!!!

Anonymous said...

Just tell John that if he wants his clothes folded he needs to wear "cute little pink" things.
;-D Is that a good idea or what?
WSM

Bridget said...

Would I be shot if I said I actually enjoy laundry? I do. I know I'm weird. There are many household chores I detest, but laundry is not one of them.

Anonymous said...

I actually don't mind the laundry itself, but now that there are four "big" people in the house (me, Mont, Preston-15 and Lindsay -13), there is a huge amount of clothes that go under the following category:

Clothes that fit just right and can't be faded and therefore must be hung or laid out to dry then then ironed carefully and with great difficulty ---- THIS IS WHAT TAKES FOREVER!!!!

Laura

McMillan Family said...

I am not a lover of doing laundry. I wish it would clean and fold it self. I feel the same way you do I feel good when I get it folded and put away and then I walk into my closet and see the basket overflowing with dirty clothes and I think to my self holy cow where did that come from.

chrissy said...

Why can't someone invent incredibly inexpensive disposable clothing? That would be brilliant. Do it, Holly. You'd make a fortune. (And you're brilliant like that, too.)

Momma Ballou said...

I just had to step over-walk on, about 4 loads of clean laundry to get to my computer. I'm pretty good at washing it but totally crappy at folding and putting away.

Momma Ballou said...

hey I just saw this video on my friend from Herrimans blog. I thought you and John might like it being horse lovers :)
Just go to her blog from mine. Her name is Clisty

Vickie said...

Laundry doesn't bother me too much yet, but I detest ironing. yuck! Try for one week to get all your laundry done in one or two days and see if that helps. Maybe getting a 5-6 break from it might help a bit.

D-dawg said...

I hate laundry more than any other chore. I recently learned about the laundry basket from my husband too. I have no idea why I never had tried it before!

janelle said...

I'm with you. I wouldn't mind laundry if it ever got DONE! I knew it was bad at our house when my mom, who was visiting for the week, heard me griping about the massive amount of laundry to do and told me she'd never seen someone with so many clothes. Hmmm. Maybe I should just limit outfits. Well, not for my girl because I agree about the pink things.

Jen said...

I don't mind laundry too much. I got in trouble when I was twelve and as punishment, my mom told me I would have to do my own laundry for the rest of my life! Thanks Brenda (mom)! My mom use to have plastic bins for each of us kids and would put our laundry in each bin. We were in charge of putting them away. But I'm too ocd to let Cody put his clothes away yet.

♥Shally said...

I did a whole post about this too..

I HATE LAUNDRY!

I hate the folding and putting away part the most.

My great husband has finally just taken over the laundry job. He puts a load in before work, I put it in the dryer (most of the time) and he folds it and puts it away at night.

I love him so much for that!!!

Jenibelle said...

Laundry is the bane of my existence. My children have outgrown things waiting for me to iron them. Really.
It's not the washing and folding,
it's the trudging upstairs with mounds and mounds and mounds.....

Celia Fae said...

Did you know Kate of
Jon and Kate never does her own laundry? Beth puts it away and some lady comes and folds it and someone else washes it. I think I could have that life, even with all of the kids.

SMiLeD said...

I'm with you, I HATE laundry. . .before kids I would do it maybe once a week, now if I don't do at least a load a day it becomes this gigantic mountain that is just too overwhelming to even look at!

Amber said...

Wait until they are big pink things and she changes her clothes 10 times a day and you have to wash them ALLLLLLLL!

Jill said...

You are so funny!!!!!!!! How could you not have used a basket before?? That cracks me up. I really don't mind laundry, except for when it's one more thing to do...but if not much is going on it's okay to wash and fold. BUT, my hubby actually does most the laundry so I can't complain!

Mariel said...

Laundry makes me want to hurl! It's a joke! I can't wait till my kids are a little older cause I'm putting them in charge!

Amateur Steph said...

I just stopped believing in ironing. If I can catch the clothes just right out of the dryer they only look half slept in.
I don't mind laundry too much (probably because I don't iron), but the socks kind of drive me buggy. I hate pairing socks!

Paige said...

oh yes, you are the jon and kate plus 8 inspiration. Crazy time.

The Brann's said...

Funny you should post about laundry....it's now 1:39....and I'm still up doing laundry and trying to finally get caught up on blogging....I swear....they're both never ending. At least blogging's fun though!!!

Anonymous said...

I agree - with both. It's NEVER-ENDING! Am I a bad mom? Do you yell (maybe a little) at your old enough children for changing too much? no? okay, me neither. ha

James, especially, will take a couple showers a day, and keep changing clothes?! what the heck is he thinking?! stupid girls.

and yes, pretty and pink would be fun. will never happen for me.

Anonymous said...

Laundry is awful. I truly hate. I try to pick one day a week and just know that it is going to be hell the entire day.....then I make sure everything is put away before the next day and I dont have to think about it again for 6 more days.

Kim said...

I am sooo with you. When you add onto the house add a HUGE laundry/mud room. :-) I love folding Jake's clothes too. Mine & Shane's - not so much.

Melissa said...

IT IS SOOO TRUE! I hate folding my husbands clothes, but my daughters I love. They are always so cute. And I love looking at them over and over again. Odd but I do :)

The Birds said...

I am glad to know that I am not the only one that hates doing the laundry! I have a hard time with the never ending feeling also! Look at it this way, you will NEVER have nothing to do! ha ha!

Lindsey from The R House said...

i hear ya!

fellow laundry hater here.

Sunny said...

I've always liked doing laundry, it's like going shopping when you fold clothes and get fresh new ones in your closet! But we do 3x more laundry now since Danny arrived, so I'm not sure how much longer I'll find it so neat...

Crissy said...

I would love to swap my load of laundry for yours any day, LOL!! I miss folding those little baby girl cloths, although, not so much that I am wanting anymore. You baby is such a doll, Holly!! I was watching her yesterday in RS and she is such a cutie patootie!!

Anonymous said...

I am going to sound terrible but I hate folding any and all laundry. Even if it's cute baby stuff I still hate it. One of the things I love about when my mom comes is that she does the laundry (and the dishes and all the house work...)

mahina said...

hi, i found you through bridget's blog and thought i would stop by.

this post is totally my life! i almost always leave the last load of laundry in the dryer until i start again the next week! and, yes, they are usually the whites. so i have to run naked to the dryer, hoping no one comes to the door, to get my garments out so i can get dressed!

the worst is when it is left in the washer and they get all stinky again! i am so bad at that!

i, too, pile up the rolled g's in my arms to carry them upstairs! my husband thinks i'm crazy! there is an easier way, but i still resist!