Monday, December 10, 2007

Weekend Review

So I'm following in the tradition of Jessica and Celia and trying this weekend summary thingy out. I can't guarantee that I'll always do it because, let's face it-there's just not always something very interesting to blog about on the weekends. But today I thought I'd give it a try.
My friend and neighbor April felt sorry for me because I complained on her blog after she posted about making gingerbread cookies with her son, that poor Levi has never done anything like that with his mother. The very next day, she brought over a little mini-gingerbread kit with her own baked cookies on a REAL Christmas plate with all the stuff to do gingerbread men with. I was floored. Who does that? NOT ME, I assure you. I'm much too self-centered. But Levi thought it was the greatest and next year I plan on making them with him because he had a lot of fun. Here he is below pictured with the original kit. Don't ask me what he's doing with his lip because I have no idea:
And here he is with the finished product. Ain't he the cutest?
John was out of town this weekend hunting... AGAIN. I think this puts an end to the hunts for the year though so I'm a relieved wife. We miss him when he's gone. On Friday night, Levi got to have his friend Dean spend the night. We rented 'Meet the Robinson's' for them to watch. Have you seen that show? We watched it with Levi last night and I cried at the end. It's a good show that teaches about letting go of the past and to "Keep moving forward" to the future. We really liked it. The kids got to eat pizza and stay up late. Levi finally came to me and actually told me that he was ready for bed. The next day was Sunday and going to church alone with two children; one of whom is a nursing baby, was on my mind. I decided to brave it and even went to choir practice first. I was proud of myself. Here's a picture of the two kiddies being couch potatoes:
After church was over, Faith got to have her first baby food-SQUASH! She acted like she liked it at first and then she started spitting it out of me and little particles of it went flying. I think she hates eating in her car seat. I have a perfectly good high chair buried downstairs but I'm debating on using that or buying one of those chairs that attaches to the counter top. Any opinions on this? I just find the whole "high chair cleanup" a bit exhausting. I remember hating it with Levi and would occasionally be so exhausted that I would leave the high chair there to crust for several hours before finally cleaning it up before I went to bed. Of course, that never happened very often. I was mostly perfect with an immaculately clean house most of the time. Of course. Here's a picture of Faith actually enjoying the squash.
After the squash was eaten, John soon came home much to our relief. Levi became a hyper spazz as he does after he hasn't seen his Daddy for a while. We put Faith to bed, watched 'Meet the Robinsons' as a family, put Levi to bed and then John and I went to stare at the baby like we do. We could stare at her for hours while she sleeps. She really is an angel.
I have to mention that Faith has begun patting me on the back when I hold her which is now my favorite thing in the world. And I also need to mention how surprising it is how much a 5 year old can entertain a 5 month old. Things that drive me crazy that Levi does will make her laugh hysterically. It was a good week.

18 comments:

Vickie said...

It sounds like a really nice weekend! For the highchair, I have the kind that attaches to the chair which I really like, but I think I'd also like the kind that attach to the counter. I don't have a lot of room in my kitchen for a full blown highchair. Plus, the one I have can go in the dishwasher....not that I've taken the time to put the whole thing in. :) That'd take care of the crusties.

Momma Ballou said...

DEFINITELY the one that hooks on the counter. Who uses high chairs anymore? Now I'm famous. But you're much too kind. I loved the picture of the kids being couch potatoes. Faith looks too grown up just sitting there. Conner was made a Deacon yesterday and my parents came, so after that we left early and had them over for dinner. I miss seeing you.

Jill said...

Wow, what a fabulous neighbor! That was so nice...cute gingerbread men. We did a gingerbread house last night too. Fun times! I love seeing your cute family because I am hoping that is what mine will be like...a 5 year old boy and a little baby girl!
I would be scared to feed my baby in a car seat in fear she would ruin that...highchairs are much easier to clean. I never had a problem using mine...I would hose it down at times too, if needed.
Glad John is back home. You are so nice to let him do his hobby. I would be too selfish.
Have a good day. I'm sure I'll talk to you sometime soon!!

Mariel said...

Levi is such a "big boy"! Holy cow...it's been a while since I've seen him. We need to get him and Caden together again. So, I'm a fan of the countertop chairs...cause it saves space and Audrey loves to be up there right beside her brothers. But, they are no easier to clean than a high chair. Im always putting off cleaning off the crusties too!

Mariel

Sunny said...

I can't believe how big Faith looks sitting up in that pic with Levi on the floor! They are adorable, as always. The gingerbread decorating sounds precious. I love the holidays!

Jessica said...

1. Love that friend!
2. Love Meet the Robinsons (I got all choked up too).
3. Hate high chairs.
4. LOVE patting.

Anonymous said...

Looks like Faith is sitting up all by herself. So cute. Stick with the high chair for now. Give it a try between now and Christmas. Then if you really want the other one, get it on sale. :-]

Celia Fae said...

I love Faith's hair. And her surprised look. And I'm impressed with your thoughtful friend.

So when you say he is done hunting for the year, does that mean until 2008 and then he starts up again? That doesn't seem like a very long break.

Hollyween said...

Thanks Celia, but Faith's hair is sort of a problem right now. Thin on the sides and thick in the middle. I'm at a loss of what to do with it.

And anonymous, who in the heck are you? It's driving me crazy. Bette? Is that YOU?

Anonymous said...

This is not Bette Midler. But thanks for asking. * *
|
vvv

How about a picture of that drawer that you've cleaned? Sure would like to see it.
Levi's cookies looked really cute and he looked really happy.

Anonymous said...

This is not Bette Midler. But thanks for asking. * *
|
vvv

How about a picture of that drawer that you've cleaned? Sure would like to see it.
Levi's cookies looked really cute and he looked really happy.

shauna said...

What a nice friend. Maybe I'll have to try making some for my boy.

I loved my Tot-lock chair. I used it on my table. Space is more important than anything to me. It makes the clean up worth it.

Great weekend.

Jake said...

I love when babies pat me on the back. Don't all moms deserve a pat on the back?

Kim said...

What a good neighbor...can I have her? ;-) We have the chair that attaches to a seat and I love it. It still gets crusty and gross, but you can put the tray in the dishwasher, not that I ever did that. Thanks for the review on "Meet the Robinsons", I've been wanting to see that! p.s. I like the weekend review!

chrissy said...

What a nice friend, to listen and respond like that! Very cool.

I haven't ever seen Meet the Robinsons. I RedBox'd it a while ago, but didn't watch it with the kids. Maybe I should rent it again...

Becky said...

I am a fan of the counter top ones cause they are right there when you eat. I also think that the ones that attach to the chairs are nice too, but they wouldn't work with my chairs, nor would I want Bailey's crusties on my chairs.

AMY said...

I complained about being a bad mom but nothing showed up at my door. Living in the middle of no where stinks sometimes!
Love babies patting on the back. #4 used to do it, too. I think about those good ole' days often. :)

Anonymous said...

Holly,
miss anonymous has got to be Bette!!
I like the counter top chairs, but make sure it has a really good seat belt so she doesn't slip through and get caught on her neck. Seth had a very close call like that..