Ever since it has started getting cold, I am supery dupery (as Levi would say) itchy. I've tried the following products shown below and nothing is working!!! It's mostly bad just at night and I scratch and scratch and scratch until one time I bled. The other day I scratched in the shower and when I looked at my legs afterward, it looked like I had been sunburned really bad; only in finger lines instead of one big red area. I beg and beg John to scratch my back. He does for a while, but it's just not scratching the itch, so to speak. I'm afraid that I'm going to scratch so much and so often that all my skin is going to fall off. If you have suggestions, I'd love to hear them. And if you are a scratcher too then welcome to my world. Together we will conquer.




18 comments:
First! I don't know anything about the itching. Maybe you should move to California where the air is less dry and then you will be less itchy. My town has many homes for sale right now. Check with me so we can make sure it is in my ward boundaries. Oh, I am so excited!
California doesn't work. I am constantly one big itch! We are twins! I seriously scratch myself to death everyday. My only advice is non-stop lotion. I sort of think it is hormonal... but I do tend to blame everything on hormones.
How about a little benedryl? Maybe take a bath with a bit of baby oil in it? Itching is sucky.
Holly, I have the same problem. I'd assume most women want their husbands to give them backrubs, but not me! I'm always begging mine for scratches. I think it's the combination of the Utah dry/cold air. So I bought Eucerin CALMING CREME a few weeks ago. It's "clinically proven effective for dry, itchy skin", and OH MY GOSH it works!!! I put it on everywhere after I get out of the shower and I haven't itched since. It might be worth a try.
Welcome to my world, Holly. I get that every winter and my legs are always a bloody mess. I have scars on the tops of my feet where I've scratched so bad, and then scratched the scabs off it was still so itchy. But this year, I anticipated the itchy scritchies coming again and I bought myself some turbo Aveeno lotion that I found at Wal-Mart. IT works great. Unfortunately for you, once it starts it doesn't go away very easily. My advice is to stop using lotions that smell pretty. They are the worst on itchy skin. Stick to lotions like aveeno and eucerin.
joyce
I second the Eucerin Calming creme. I got really itchy while I was pregnant and that was the only thing that worked.
I am always itchy too, but I think I'm used to it, growing up in Utah! Landon itches all the time and has dry skin because he grew up in Florida and would complain almost everday when we lived in Utah that he itched! It sucks. I live in baths of lotion. As soon as I wash my hands I HAVE to apply lotion or it drives me crazy because my hands are so dry.
I am itchy, too. Have you tried Aquafor? It's totally greasy and grimy, but it does moisturize and seem to minimize the itch.
P.S. Avoid any product with fragrance or color added. It will dry your skin out more.
I have the same itchy problem. I'm glad that you did the "blog research" on it for us. I'm seriously going to buy some Eucerin cream today. I wish you (us) luck!
Same.
Hooray for Eucerin Calming Cream, that's what I use, too. You can also combine regular lotion with some hydrocortisone. One winter my leg itching was so bad I went to a dermatologist, and he wrote a prescription for me. When I filled it, it was basically a huge tub of lotion with hydrocortisone in it. It was kinda nice to have it premixed in a big vat! I could have swam in it!
Holly,
I am also an itchy scritchy mess because of my skin disorder. Take Joyce's advice. I'll add my advice to it. Try not to shower in "ultra hot" water..it makes it worse, especially if you take a really long shower. Apply lotion IMMEDIATELY after your shower -- even if you are still a little damp. Reapply lotion again after several minutes when you are comletely dry and the first application of lotion is completely absorbed. Hope you feel better!
Love, Laura
One more piece of advice. You need to drink lots and lots of water. When you're doing WW they say at least 6 glasses of water a day. You need way more than that especially since you're nursing, and because it's wintry. Maybe that will help.
I've heard lots of great stuff about Eucerin Aquaphor. I use it frequently on my lips... it's pretty greasy but good for really dry patches...like my cracking feet in the summer. Or try my most favorite lotion...Gold Bond Ultimate. It makes my hands feel like heaven!
I have the same problem! My hands bleed constantly in the winter. I recently started using the Cetaphil Cream (you can buy a BIG tub of it at Costco for $10) and it works pretty good. I always tell Shane that I'm just not bred for living in the mountains (I'm from Texas) and that I feel like a fish that's been lying on the beach for WAAAAY TOOO LONG!
I second Joyce on the water. I know when I was nursing I had to drink water like crazy! I would notice that I could tell a big difference when I was drinking and then when I wasn't.
Hydrocortisone cream, it's my miracle cure for itchy legs in the winter, the only thing that works for me!
and for dry, cracked hands I use aquaphor at night, it's really greasy, kinda like neosporin, but it does the trick.
Post a Comment