Thursday, November 22, 2007

Give Thanks!



So, I'm two days late on my Thanksgiving post, but it doesn't mean I'm not grateful; just busy. I'm going to make this post a bit sappy. It being Thanksgiving and all. I'm going to celebrate by listing the top ten things I'm thankful for. Here they are in no particular order:
(Thanks for the idea Heidi)


1. First and foremost, I'm thankful for John's health. This time last year he was very sick from the effects of chemo. It was a real challenge for our family and I'm so grateful that he has overcome it with flying colors. He is truly the bravest, strongest man I know and each day with him is a gift.


2. Faith. We waited a long time for this little miracle. Hence, the name. She lights up the house with her giggles and angelic presence. We love her so very much.


3. Levi. What would we do without him? Even when he sings at the top of his lungs ALL day long, he's still the cutest, sweetest kid I know. He's a great helper with Faith and he's always been my little cuddlebug. I can't believe how grown up he looks without the front tooth.


4. Breastfeeding. This little gem has saved us hundreds of dollars so far. I had a huge fear when we had Faith that I wouldn't be able to do it. Levi was so stubborn as a baby and would not latch. Faith, however, has done fantastically. I love bonding with her during this time and it makes my day when she looks up at me and smiles. I feel like I'll never want to stop. Of course...I will. I won't be the mother on Dr. Phil that's nursing her 5 year old. EWWWW!

5. Weight Watchers (are you sensing an "after baby" theme here?). I almost chose not to do Weight Watchers. I'm so glad that I decided to. Even though the weight has been coming off painfully slow, it IS coming off. 15.2 pounds and counting. I'm just about down to my pre-pregnancy weight. But, I'd like to lose 15 more pounds so that I'm down to where I want to be. I'm also grateful that my sister Joyce is doing WW with me. It wouldn't be nearly as fun all by myself if I didn't have someone to gripe to about points. I'm sure there will be a Thanksgiving gain, but I'm going to ignore it, PRESS ON and KEEP GOING.

6. My siblings, parents and extended family. We all have so much fun together and this time of year makes me all nostalgic remembering past Thanksgivings and Christmases. I love each and every one of you.

7. Schooling. Levi has learned so much since starting Kindergarten. I can't believe that he's learning how to read. I still remember when I learned how to read and it's such a great thing when he "gets" it and you can see his face light up from learning. I'm also grateful for the alone time it gives me. Because the word "MOMMY" becomes a swear word in my house after a while. But I'm always ready to have him come back home and find out about his day (ya know, if he decides to actually tell me).

8. The Gospel. I can't imagine my life without it. I'm so grateful for the love of my Heavenly Father and Savior. We have been so blessed this past year. I could never have done it without the help of my Heavenly Father.
9. My own health. It's an easy thing to take for granted, but I realized how blessed I was to be able to take care of my family when John's health wasn't up to par. Somehow I avoided getting any sicknesses when he was sick. I'm sure it's not a coincidence either. Just Heavenly Father watching out for us.

10. Blogging. It's given me a nice outlet and helped me make great friends I'd like to meet some day.

15 comments:

Jill said...

Nice post Holly! Those are fabulous things. It's amazing how blessed we are when you stop to think about the little things in your life it can become overwhelming...at least that is how I feel!
I think you gave me your crappy cough though. HOLY MOLY my abs kill!! This stinks and I'm ready to be done. I am SO THANKFUL for my health. I can't imagine being sick all the time. It's awful.
Well, hope you had a fun day and were able to eat some yummy stuff Thursday!!

Anonymous said...

Holly - Thanks for this post! It is good for us to sit down and think about the things that make our lives wonderful. I MUST come over and hold your little Faith soon! - Kim

Vickie said...

What a wonderful list!! I had a hard time with breastfeeding too and had to start supplementing when my baby was 6 months and had to stop completely at 10 months. And boy oh boy is formula expensive!!! I'm so glad that it's working so well for you and Faith! I hope I have the same good luck as you next time around.

D-dawg said...

This is a good list. You guys have been through a lot and I think it is great that you have so much to be thankful for now. The breastfeeding thing is so great isn't it? So so sweet. I wouldn't want to stop either. Happy Thanksgiving!

Lisa-Marie said...

Beautiful list. Thanks for sharing. I'm glad that this year is treating you better but I think you are amazing that you have learned so much from your trials and are sharing with all of us! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

So fun to read. I am so thankful for breastfeeding too. People think I am nuts when I say that I love it, but I do.

You have such a cute little family and I loved reading all your thankful for's.

Momma Ballou said...

Your list was the best. You really have your life in order. Let's hang out soon. Love ya

Lorena said...

Don't really know if I could say I am grateful for WW. It is like I have an angel and a devil sitting on my shoulders. One says, "you know, that candy bar is 8 points, think of all the many things you could eat for that!" and the other says, "Go ahead, that candy bar is ONLY 8 points." I give in. There's a sucker born every minute.

Celia Fae said...

I'm thankful for you. I think you're an awesome person. Really. And I'm thankful you blog so we can all know you.

Celia Fae said...

I'm also thankful that Faith's hair is always done in your pictures.

Jessica said...

Celia's telling the truth. We all talked about how much we liked you at the blog party!

Nortorious said...

Yeah, I'm not thankful for Breastfeeding. Sure, it was cheap, but can you put a price on sanity when your kid won't take a bottle every once in awhile?

Hollyween said...

Jessica, REALLY??!!! You talked about me for real? I'm blushing. And I want to know what you said...

Lenore, I have to agree with you a bit on the breastfeeding thing. There are definitely times I wish she took a bottle. Like, the holidays where I have to find some quiet room and miss out on all the fun at the party.

shauna said...

Loved your list. You have an amazing family and testimony--thank you for sharing them.

Amateur Steph said...

What a great list! Can I just tell you that I love Faith as a name? I think that the story behind her name makes it so perfect!
Breastfeeding is definitely a money saver. Supposedly it helps with weight loss too, but I'm still waiting for that one. :)