Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Chicken Soup for the Holly

I knew it would happen. It comes around about this time every year. The inevitable cold and cough. No matter how hard I try, it does not escape me. It seems to always happen at really bad times. Holidays, times where I have A LOT on my plate, times where I'm supposed to sing in church or (gasp) at someones funeral. I think it would be one thing if it was just a snotty nose and a stuffy head. I could deal with that. But the cough? The cough just really makes everything so much worse!! It's the kind of cough that lasts for weeks before it finally trails away and leaves you. It keeps me and everyone else up in the night. Last night while I was nursing Faith, she would come unlatched with every cough and look at me like I was really ruining her night time experience. I sucked on cough drops to no avail. I'm sure the only thing they did was rot my teeth from letting them sit in the corner of my mouth all night long. It's a miracle I didn't die from choking on them.
The cough starts out innocently enough. Every time it starts, I kid myself into thinking it's just a little cough and maybe it will be gone the next day. It never is. It starts out dry and hits me just every now and then, then it escalates to the tickle in the back of your throat where you must cough and cough and cough until you've itched the tickle. Then comes the worst part. The cough turns into the bark where you bark and bark like a dog until that teensy bit of phlegm in the the back of your throat finally comes loose. It's so exhausting that you feel like you've just ran a marathon. You can actually feel the ab-work. You lie on your bed, curl up in a little ball and say, "Kill me now!"
I made myself feel better by making my famous Chicken Noodle Soup. I've mastered it. It's my mother-in-law's recipe (though of course I tell myself that mine is better. Shhh. Don't tell her) and it's my husband's favorite. He's a weird guy that way. His favorite food is soup. If I want to make him happy, I make him this soup and I'll be forgiven on any shopping spree I went on where I "accidentally" spent too much. Not that I've ever done that or anything. Because I love YOU; my readers, I am sharing the recipe. You're welcome! Feel free to thank me by sending gifts.
Chicken Noodle Soup
One whole roasting chicken
3 ribs celery, chopped
1/2 onion diced
3 medium sized carrots cut in pennies
2-3 bay leaves
1 Package Grandma's Frozen Egg Noodles
3 Medium sized potatoes, peeled and sliced in quarters
2 Chicken Bouillon cubes (optional)
Salt to taste
Cover chicken in a large stockpot with water, diced onion and bay leaves. Cook on high for about one hour. Take chicken out of broth water. Remove skin and bones. Shred chicken with fingers. While you're doing that, cook carrots, potatoes, celery and Grandma's noodles in broth water. Be sure to follow directions on the back of Grandma's noodles package first. Cook on high until noodles and vegetables are tender with bouillon cubes. About 20-30 minutes. Add chicken back into broth water. Serve. Get lucky.
If you want to be a good girl, you can make your broth before hand and skim fat off top the following day. Unfortunately, I am never prepared enough for this and I'm convinced it won't taste as good anyway.

16 comments:

Vickie said...

mmmmmmm...that looks GOOD!

Becky said...

Ummmm. That looks yummy. I love a good Chicken Noodle soup. I love to put a little bit of dill in mine. For some reason that is such a great flavor. I also will put dill on my breadsticks. YUMMY!
I hope you feel better soon.

Momma Ballou said...

Porter must have the same gunk you have. He had to miss preschool today. Hope you feel better soon.

Jill said...

I love chicken noodle soup too! YUMMY. Landon's not a big soup fan because he never gets full on it so I rarely make it for meals, but I LOVE soup! (I just ate at Panera tonight, cheddar broccoli soup. mmmmmm)
Sorry you are sick. I have a tiny sore throat too, but not as bad as yours. That is the worst. Coughing totally sucks, but it is a good workout for your abs. Think of the benefits from that. ha ha.
Hope you get better soon. Good luck with your crazy hectic busy couple of months. SUPER-WOMAN!!

shauna said...

So who makes this soup for you when you feel sick as a barking dog? Just when you need it the most, you feel the least like making it. Hope you get feeling better soon, there are only a few great shopping weekends until Christmas!

Can't wait to try the soup, thanks for the recipe.

chrissy said...

YUCK on your cough, I hope you get to feeling better, but YUM! on the soup recipe! I'll have to try that out, since I'm making more of an effort to be domestic and all ;)

Anonymous said...

Ok....I am sorry your sick but am totally stoked to get the soup recipe. I LOVE soup....especially in the winter. I love it because it usually lasts 2 nights and then I get a day off on the second day.

I hope you get feeling better. I hate being sick. Last thanksgiving I was so sick that I stayed home by myself and watched movies, ate cold cereal and felt really sorry for myself. This year I think I am going to eat double since I didnt get any last year......

AIRBORNE, AIRBORNE, AIRBORNE!!!

Celia Fae said...

Sorry that you're sick, but I'm pretty excited that you're a singer. Let's see some video. I bet you are terrific!

Being a sick mother is the pits. Nobody cares.

Celia Fae said...

BTW, we had a little blog party today, me and Paige and Denae and Brigitta and Jessica Romney and it was really fun but we wish you could have been there. We are all going to meet in real life. I have faith. I will make Paige stop smoking before then.

The Birds said...

looks like a yummy recipe! I hope you feel better soon! Hey the pic with you and the four babies is so funny! You look great!!!! how much have you lost now! Seriously, you look so skinny! Go Weight Watchers!

Paige said...

If I smoked would it make me skinny? Maybe I'll try it. Please get a flu shot. What you have is much worse than a cold, and the flu shot works.

Jessica said...

YOu are bringing that to our next blog party, kay? (We need something with actual nutrients next time.)

D-dawg said...

I'm so sorry about your sickness. I can totally relate to the horrible never ending hurting cough! I get that too and it is horrible. This soup looks divine and I could use some right now! Too bad you're not my next-door neighbor.

Get well soon!

The Nelson Family said...

It looks so yummy! I hope you are feeling better by now. I have to tell you that I'm so glad that you put some more posts up after the tooth one. I couldn't even look for a while - I can't even think about teeth stuff like that without the hair standing up on the back of my neck! I know, I'm weird. I hope things are going well and HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!

Anonymous said...

The soup looks wonderful! Thanks for sharing the recipe..even when you are sick you are thinking of others...that's our Holly! Hope you're feeling better in time for PIE DAY! Love - Kim

Lorena said...

OK, so how many points?