Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Finally! Behold the TREE!

We usually put our tree up the day after Thanksgiving. And actually... we DID. We just had immediate problems and it sat there undecorated until today. Let me explain. We bought our beautiful artificial pre-lit tree when Levi was about 6 months old and it has been fantastic. People comment all the time at how real and life-like it is. Well, this year we were all set for our annual "put the tree up" day and instead of it being merry and bright, it was merry and well... BURNED OUT!!! That's right, ladies! Two sections of the tree were not working at all. We were of course annoyed, but figured we could fix it. But no. We couldn't. So, we decided to put the tree on hold until the next day and hope for a miracle. Nope. John even replaced every single light and fuse and still nothing. NO lights were working in the sections and even MORE started going out. It put both John and I in a bad mood. I wanted it fixed perfectly and so did John, but the difference was that I wasn't willing to settle. I couldn't just let it go. I have that problem sometimes.
Long story short, it's still not fixed, but John strung some lights up and it looks great. We are both still extremely frustrated and confused at why the lights won't go on, but we'll get over it. Until next year, that is. John's a great sport for putting up with me. He had missed a couple of spots with the lights and had run out of lights to fill the spots and he said, "What if I said it's good enough?" and I said, "What if I said it's not?" He sighed and went back to work trying to please the princess. Yup. Me. I'm a spoiled brat.
But isn't our tree beautiful? I'm sorry I didn't move the vacuum out of the way. It really kills the ambiance.

John lit a fire and we watched the best Christmas show of all time, "Christmas Vacation". We skipped through the bad parts and plugged Levi's ears during the swearing. We're great parents that way. Oh and the reason why there are three stockings and not four is because I don't have another stocking hook yet. But my step-mom made the christmas stockings. Aren't they great??
The loves of my life after the tree was up.

22 comments:

Paige said...

Congrats on the tree! Methinks you are in the market for a new, on-sale one after Christmas. The loves of your life are adorable.

The Birds said...

Decorating for Christmas can be both exciting and frustrating! We had extreme problems with our house lights this year. I did the same thing you did and would not settle! Good thing we have such patient husbands! I think your decor looks fabulous!

Jill said...

Beautiful tree! I love it. Mine looks like death compared to yours. Hopefully it will work better next year!!!!!!!!!!!! Are they guaranteed??

Anonymous said...

Holly,

Your tree and house look wonderful! I had to smile seeing Faith with her favorite silky pink blanket. She must have been tired. What happens when she wants it and it is in the wash? You guys are all ready for Christmas and I am jealous!

Laura

Momma Ballou said...

Love it, love it, love it! We should do a traveling luncheon and check out everyone's decorations. I just love this time of year. See you soon.

Jake said...

The tree was worth all the effort. And now don't you just love basking in it's light?!

Vickie said...

That really is such a beautiful tree! Well done!

Anonymous said...

I heard there was even more to the trouble?? There's a story going around that your husband, while retreiving the Christmas tree from the basement cracked his head on a beam and opened up a terrible gash, any truth to that? Ouch! That must of hurt, if it is true...

Hollyween said...

Okay "ANONYMOUS" you must be JOYCE since you're the only other person I told and Laura already commented.

Yes. It's true. Poor John and his poor head.

AMY said...

Your tree IS beautiful and you'd never know the "real" lights weren't working. Hubby did a great job. This is my first time to your blog and I really enjoyed it. I LOVE your page too. VERY cute. You'll have to teach me how. :)

Lisa-Marie said...

Holly,

Guess what? We are short one stocking too. My grandmother makes all the stockings and I'm not sure what the delay with Baby Meg's is. I was not too concerned since she doesn't know the difference but her Daddy will have nothing with that. She NEEDS a stocking he insists! Good Daddy!

I love the tree and that is a fabulous picture of your three loves.

Anonymous said...

Love the tree. Your house looks so festive! I hate christmas lights! We got our whole tree done and then the top half went out....then the bottom. We spent hours and it dosent look as good as yours!

Jessica said...

Did you plug your kids' ears when you swore about your tree?

Kim said...

FUN! It IS so beautiful! I have the same problem with Shane every year with the lights (I don't have a pre-lit tree but I'm hoping to find one on clearance this year), so I just go in the other room and decorate and try not to complain when there is a huge blob of green with no lights. I'm getting pretty good at it. I decided that it's better to have a green blob then me having to hang the lights myself. I like the idea of the decorating tour! Let me know when it is!

Kim said...

p.s. I hit my head several times in that same place (right as you come up the ladder???)! Poor John!

shauna said...

Beautiful tree, beautiful family!

Please don't tell me your tree was from Costco. I can't bear to think my tree might only last a few years. It better last for at least a century for what we paid for it.

D-dawg said...

oh your house looks so cozy and I love the tree and the stockings! I just got a new artificial at costco and love it. Maybe you should get a new one to avoid the stress next year. But isn't that the worst when something just doesn't work for no reason??? THat would make me so mad.

Anonymous said...

That light thing happened to my husbands moms tree last year..it IS sooooo maddening. Your tree loos gorgeous though and your house looks so cozy. Can I come over? ;)

Celia Fae said...

Cute house. Thanks for cleaning up for us. Bad news about the fake tree. Maybe you should get rid of it this year by putting it out on the driveway for the scouts to pick up. Do they do that there?

Momma Ballou said...

I can't believe I didn't even look at your tree the other day. Duh!!! I'll just have to pop by soon.

Mariel said...

Your tree is cute! I wish I could pull myself together and get one up! Holly, I'm so envious of your blog. Thanks for helping me so much to get my lame, simple, basic one set up! I'll need lots more help. I'm excited to see you Monday!

Anonymous said...

What an amazing tree!!!!! That must have taken you forever to get that thing looking ' just so '!
Very impressive!
I love the picture of Faith doing crunches.......already fit and maintaining!!
love Marsha