Monday, November 12, 2007

Family with Special Needs

Pictured above is my Uncle David (my Dad's brother). He has Downs Syndrome, but has always managed to be independent and not reliant on others to care for him. He has a job and lives in a special community. When he was young, he wanted to be baptized even though my church doesn't require people with special needs like this to be baptized because they're already innocent like a little child and don't need it to make it to the Celestial Kingdom. He wanted to be baptized desperately, however so they made an exception and baptized him. I'm doing a post about my Uncle David because he's so special to me. Whenever I see him, I'm always lifted up and I always feel happy in his presence. I believe people like my uncle David and my handicapped nephew, Carsten bring us closer to our Heavenly Father just by being around them. They humble us and teach us. You can't help but feel the spirit when you're with them and be touched by their sweet spirits and tender hearts. By serving them we become closer to our Heavenly Father.
My nephew, Carsten


If you want to be uplifted, click here.

21 comments:

Paige said...

So glad that he got to be baptized! And I like your new background.

Amateur Steph said...

Hi Holly-
This is Stephanie. Bette sent me the link to your blog, I hope you don't mind. It looks so good! Your Redbox post was hilariously true and this post is sweet. Check out our blog at excitedandconfused.blogspot.com.
C-ya, Stephanie

Anonymous said...

Holly- You really shouldnt put things like that on your blog....you made me cry (but in a good way though). Isnt it amazing how truly special and divine people with disabilities are. They really do bless our lives. I loved the pics too. Good post....good post.....

D-dawg said...

Holly, that video was cool. I always feel something special around people who have disabilities...their spirits are so strong! And they can teach us so much too.

Momma Ballou said...

Too sweet.
Just like you! Thank you for always commenting on my blog. So far you're the only one who does. My family is lame......

Jessica said...

Even better than the polka post! (Thanks for having it all on your blog!)

Celia Fae said...

Thank you for reminding us how wonderful all kinds of people are. Sometimes I forget.

shauna said...

That was the best! Thanks. I used to love helping at the special olympics because of people like your uncle and Johnny. There is nothing better than a giant smile and warm hug from a special person! I am excited to think about what my Johnny moment will be today.

Lisa-Marie said...

Perfect! I loved it. Thanks for the uplift. I hope I can pay it forward today!

Megan said...

I have always felt lucky to have a brother with Down's Syndrome. It is like having a piece of heaven whenever you are around him!! That video was so touching!! I am so glad we have people like Johnny, your uncle David and my brother Tyler to make life worth living.

Becky said...

WOW! That was so good. Thanks for posting that. It makes me realize how great life is.

Anonymous said...

Holly,

Great post! I love Uncle David and Carsten so much. There are so many things to be learned by our associations with them. Don't forget Angela.

Laura

Sunny said...

What a beautiful post, Holly! A reminder of how life's challenges enrich us.

The Nelson Family said...

...totally bawling at that link. That kind of stuff always gets me. Special post.

Nortorious said...

So if he got baptized, will he also go through the temple?

Hollyween said...

Lenore, as far as I know he hasn't expressed a desire to go through the temple. If he did though, I'm not sure what would happen in that case.

Jill said...

That was sweet!! They definitely are special people. That reminds me of Hyrum Marston's brother who is handicapped and he wanted to serve a mission!!! WOW. They are amazing people. Thanks for the great post.

Kim said...

Thanks so much for sharing this...I cried. Truly inspirational!

My sweet niece had a heart attack when she was 7 and she is now mostly non-functional except that she cries and smiles and laughs...her laugh would make anyone happy. Re:your friend that had the ? about the temple...my niece didn't get baptized because she didn't have to and wasn't able to because of her condition when she did turn 8...but she has since been able to be baptized for the dead in the temple and she does confirmations. My father-in-law said that she is always a special guest when she goes to the temple and everyone is extra delighted to have her there. What a blessing it is to have these special spirits in our lives!

Anonymous said...

My heart grew reading this entry. I really appreciate the photo you put in of Charlotte and Carsten. Charlotte looks so serene and beautiful in this shot. It looks like she doesn't even know she is being photographed. I love my cousin Charlotte. I don't really think she knows how much I look up to her. She was ' hand-picked ', for this little boy. This photo of her captures - why.
love Marsha

Jake said...

Hi...Thanks for coming to my blog. I recognize you from Celia Fae's gang.

Loved this post...my oldest is autistic and, although it is a challenge, I feel his spirit shining through.

Rochelleht said...

Yea, you! Great post! I love it, of course!!! My life is better because of my two boys. A daily reminder of why I am here.