
For those of you who are living under a rock, Redbox is a movie kiosk usually located at McDonald's and some other chains like Maverick. It's a great idea. Get a one-night movie rental for a buck. Just be sure to return it at 7pm the following evening or you're charged another buck. I like Redbox. I think it's a clever idea and I hope they start putting more of them in more places. The great thing about it is that you can return your dvd to ANY Redbox location. It doesn't have to be the one you picked it up from. However, there are some BAD things about Redbox.
*For one thing, it can get very crowded at peak movie rental hours and it requires waiting in LINE which, let's face it... totally sucks. You don't have to wait in line at Blockbuster to actually pick out your movie. Only to buy it.
*It's stressful. If you're in the front of the line choosing you're movie and you don't know what movie you want, you can FEEL the people behind you getting annoyed. They want you to MOVE so that they can have their turn. No browsing allowed unless you really want to piss some people off.
* Refer to above reason except you're the one BEHIND the idiot in the front who is taking forever to pick out their stupid movie. HURRY UP ALREADY! I've got kids in the car waiting for me!!!! (our Redbox is outside so I usually park, leave the kids in the car and wait. Yesterday when I rented a movie, Levi was hanging his head out the window and being generally disobedient and the lady behind me tsk tsked me. She asked me if I thought it was okay that he was doing that. What did she want me to say? Was she trying to teach me a lesson? I wanted to tsk tsk her for not minding her own business).
*You can wait in line a LONG time and know EXACTLY what movie you want, but when you get there, you can't see it in the screens of titles. You keep looking because surely you overlooked it. It's on the main Redbox kiosk as a title that they have, but it's not there. But just to be sure you scan every screen about 5 times all the while you're nervous about the people behind you. Waiting. You can only get the title you want if someone has returned it and it's actually IN the Redbox.
*Sometimes their titles are crummy. It really just depends. Sometimes you get lucky and you get the movie you've been wanting to see for a buck which is totally worth waiting in line for. But sometimes because of stress you settle on a title you're really not too interested in watching. Therefore you keep it longer and pay more money for it because you don't want to waste your original dollar you paid for it. Sigh.
*Like previously mentioned, it's a one night rental. I have an extremely sleepy spouse who always thinks he is going to make it through a movie when the majority of the time we never even start it. He is always telling me to watch it without him. He honestly doesn't care. But how much fun is that? It's just not the same unless you're watching it together. Am I right? In the long run, you probably pay more because you can't get it back in time. Blockbuster can be cheaper that way because you can take as long as you want.
What are YOUR feelings about Redbox?


11 comments:
We do the Blockbuster-mail-you-movies thing. And watch all our TiVo-ed stuff. I hear Redbox is great, but now you've scared me.
Holly this post is hilarious and SO TRUE! I love it. We totally did RedBox all the time when we were in Utah, but I think it's a West Coast thing. There isn't RedBox here. I miss it and think it was a cool idea...but yes, had all the negatives you named as well. I remember last winter driving around and seeing people standing outside McDonalds in the freezing cold to get their $1 movie. It was hilarious. If you have time to watch the movie the night you rent it and are responsible enough to return it the next day, it rocks!! We have to do the blockbuster mail in thing now too, but it's convenient, I like it. Funny post!!
I have only seen one redbox before! It was in Oregon on our trip. I'm not sure they have them here yet. But I think it's a great idea. Definitely something I'll try. I am SO DONE with Blockbuster. $4.50 for a movie!?!?
We don't have it and if we did I probably wouldn't use it. How do you have time to watch movies? I can barely keep up with my three tv shows I have recorded. Also, I'd rather do it. Then he goes to sleep and I can blog. Don't tell him I said so.
I can't believe I just said that. I'm thinking about erasing it.
I must admit I've never used Redbox, but they do have one in the Clinton Albertsons (it's just inside the "out" door).Lately I've used the "Just A Buck" rentals (by Kents) they are $1 and they have new and old titles. I agree - there's no use in getting more than one movie because with kids there is NO WAY that you can watch it before they go to bed (if you want to hear it) and then you are too tired from your day of playing with before-mentioned kids to stay up late enough to watch more than one.
Celia, I am DYING!!!!!!! You are hilarious. Don't erase it. And no... we don't have time to watch movies. We hardly ever do but we try and waste money anyway. It's so stupid.
Denae, our Blockbuster only charges 2.99 for a movie whether it's old or new. Your blockbuster needs to get with it, girlfriend!
Kim, I've been to the redbox in Clinton. I hate how it's inside the OUT door. Sooo annoying. I had stress there just the other day and Levi was being impatient as I was trying to find a movie and the "out" door opened and hit him in the head. Then I was angry.
Redbox has made me soooo mad in the past, but NO MORE. Now, we get online on redbox.com and reserve the movie we want at the location we want and then try to pick it up when we think there won't be an awful line. Try it!
Laura
I am also a seriously sleepy spouse. That is why I don't want to spend more than a dollar in case I fall asleep!
Holly - You make me laugh! I can just see you there with Levi...poor little guy. It is dumb that it is inside the "out" door. It should just be outside for goodness sake!
I must be one of those that are living under a rock! Also, the sleepy husband thing must run in the Evans/Nelson family - Brad can't stay awake to save his life through a movie, except if it's a scary movie and I have to leave half way through - he comes in later and tells me what happened... We used to do blockbuster on line and loved it.
One of those $1 movies cost me SEVEN once cause we never get around to watching them. Someone was thinking ($$$$$) when they created that thing. Wish it were me!
Post a Comment