Saturday, October 20, 2007

It's All Fun and Games Until Someone Gets Hurt!

CORNHOLIO LEVI

Tonight a friend of mine came over with her 4 boys. The plan was that we would talk and have a great time while all the boys sat quietly and watched a movie. Then we'd get a pizza and everyone would eat using perfect table manners and never talk over us while we were talking. We wouldn't need to tell the kids to settle down and to stop being hyper spazzes. Both the babies would be happy in their swing/bouncers and wouldn't need to eat while we were eating. A great time was going to be had by all and then everyone was going to go home happy and fulfilled until next time.

Alas, that didn't happen. Did you really think it might have? I sure did. What's wrong with me??! Why is it that YOUR kid is the one that's the worst when other kids come over. Then when you go to someones house, your kid is the angel (okay...well sort of) and the other kids are the nightmares. I'm about to admit something right now. I'm always really relieved to have the kids go home. It's always nice while it lasts, but then I'm ready to go back to my old routine. Tonight it ended with the oldest of the boys getting hurt on the tile of my fireplace. He hit it so hard that it left a giant goose egg and it bled a bit. You can imagine how much harder he started crying when he noticed the BLOOD which is always a teensy bit funny because they realize that they are actually hurt and they start screaming. I'M BLEEDING! I'M BLEEDING!!!! He was pretty tough though. Levi on the other hand can be pretty whiny as of late and if it were him bleeding, that's what he would have done. He would have completely lost it when he saw that he was bleeding. Today he kept picking his fingernails below the quick. I kept telling him that if he continued he would surely regret it. Sure enough, he went too far and he's bawling like there's no tomorrow and needs a bandaid immediately for the pain to go away. A bandaid. Why is that ALWAYS the answer? Kids are convinced that if you put a cool kid bandaid on it, it will get better right then and there. I wish I could put a bandaid on my house after kids leave. That would make me feel better right then and there too.

4 comments:

Jill said...

Aaaaaaahhhh, Holly you are so funny!! I am feeling your pain right now. Girlfriend, you asked for disaster having 4 boys come over to play. ha ha, j/j. I am the same way though. I think it will be fun to have someone over and help entertain my child, but NO WAY! It's all the more work. I too like when they go home. 5 minutes can be handled, then it's just not that fun anymore. LOL. What is the perfect solution though? I know, play group AT THE CHURCH. Lock the doors, let the kids run in the gym instead of your house and let the mom's try and have small talk!! At least that is what I am trying to start up with my friends here... :) yeah, the bandaid thing is a mystery to me too. Whatever though, if it gets them to stop crying, fine, have a stinkin' bandaid!!!!

Celia Fae said...

Playgroup at the church. That is brilliant. Much better than McDonalds because you can control who is going to be there. Much better than home because you can decide to leave if you want to. I guess it is too cold now for the park.

When I have other people's kids over I make them play in the backyard. I'm mean like that. Sometimes I even lock the back door and pull down the shades. The other mommies think I'm kidding but I'm not.

Jessica said...

Bad mom admission: I feel anger when my kids get hurt. Really. What is wrong with me?

D-dawg said...

Jessica, I feel angry sometimes too. Mostly because my daughter screams like someone is stabbing her when it is only a small bump. And bandaids work so well over here. I never wait for it to bleed... I put them on everything!