Tuesday, December 20, 2011

It's The Most Wonderful Time of The Year!

This year we failed to get out our Christmas card. A whole string of events happened that led to it not happening, but basically it's John's fault. It's a lot more fun to blame him than to take any responsibility myself. That would just be crazy.

What's most sad about us not getting our Christmas card out is our inability to share gratuitous photos we had taken this year. So what better opportunity is there than to share that now... with what... maybe a whole three readers I might have left?!


Photobucket
Photobucket

Photo by Camilynne Photography
The addition of Gray in the family has brought its share of challenges and also triumphs! At 17 months old this week, he is by far my busiest baby. He's very good natured, however, as long as he has free reign of the house or ya know... the entire WalMart superstore. Having John in the bishopric is a truly joyous experience for me on Sundays. Getting everyone up at the crack of dawn, dressed, hair done, clothes ironed, an array of snacks packed in various baggies and be out the door by 8:45 is so delightful. I especially love planning last minute primary lessons the same morning and bask in joy when it's also a hair washing day and having nothing to wear. I like to dance around the house and sing primary songs to get everyone in the mood for church. The children are always well behaved and I'm always organized!

But in all seriousness, having him gone for hours on end really does bring its share of blessings. Though I miss him immesely, I can see the tender mercies that have taken place in our lives. Like, when I backed out of the garage in a hurry and missed hitting John's car by mere centimeters. Or the other day when I made 33 neighbor plates full of treats and the glass bowl I was using shattered right on Gray's head; and not a scratch or drop of blood was shed. And it's the not so obvious things too. Our relationship is closer and all in all, our children are happier. It's my ability not to overlook the little things that pass us by so regularly. Things like all my babies getting older and me wanting to stop time and just live in the moment.

I truly do miss blogging and journaling about my kids and the daily goings on of life. I want to find time to do it more, but I don't feel a rush or pressure to keep up with it like I used to. Once I let go of that, I found a lot of relief and peace. I also got off facebook recently. It may or may not be permanent, but I haven't missed that time-suck for a second. I don't think I ever went to bed wishing I'd spent more time on facebook that day. I do love the relationships I have with family both close and extended, however, so I may get back on in the future. It was mainly the need for a Christmas break, if you will.

One more blessing of John's calling, is not taking for granted those moments I DO get to spend with him. He is my rock. I truly love being with him more than anyone I know. I love his dry sense of humor and his willingness to continually put up with me. Whenever it's time for us to have 'date night', I go willingly like a giddy teenager. He is so much fun to be with. I can't get enough of him. I think we're a great match, he and I.

Photobucket
Photo by Camilynne Photography

Levi is doing great in school. He makes friends easily and he's a happy kid. He helps out with Gray and he'll go along with most things most of the time. Some favorite past times are: Reading, dancing in his room, going to scouts, teasing Faith and playing hide and seek with the baby.
For Christmas, Levi literally cannot think of anything he wants besides a video game and the new 3DS. He already has a regular DS which will become obsolete if he has another one. By these wants, you'd assume he plays video games all day long. But he really doesn't. He's only allowed to play Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. And even on some of those days, he'll forget he's even allowed. Levi is a kid who doesn't want a whole lot. In Christmases past, he's gotten toys and games only to have them sit unopened in his room month after month. He does enjoy reading, however, and for that I'm grateful. Any awesome reading suggestions you'd like to send my way for him, I'll gladly take. I think Levi wishes there were 100 books in the 'Diary of a Wimpy Kid' series. That would surely be his dream come true.

Ya know that saying, 'The squeaky wheel gets the grease.'? Well, that would be Faith. She has a lot of ailments she likes to complain about.
Some phrases I hear several times a day are:
'I'm tired.'
'I'm hungry.'
'Wipe my bum.'
'I'm bored.'
'I just still don't know who I'm going to marry.'
'Wipe my bum.'
'I'm itchy.'
'I just love Dad so so much.'
'Gray doesn't love me.'
'It hurts right here. I think I need a bandaid.'
'I just... I just...I just don't know what to do.'
'Wipe my bum'.
And there are lot of sighs and whining to go along with those things too. However, I find her fairly easy to communicate with. I never have to guess what she's feeling, that's for sure. She can find anything that's lost too. She likes to be out and about and loves being my little buddy all day long. Sometimes she gets so close to me that I trip over her. This happens several times a day and usually on Sundays as we're getting ready for church. Some hobbies include: going to the gym with me, playing with the baby until he cries, telling me how much she loves me, being a tattletale, enjoying preschool, learning dance, playing with friends and singing. She's a social butterfly and her little friends really love to be with her.
Oh, and let it be known that she is currently growing her hair out like Rapunzel. She's convinced that if it reaches her toes, I will no longer have to comb it out for her.
Uh, okay.

Gray is a handful. He's happy, but he's a handful. Just today he dumped an entire bowl full of toilet water on himself and then shortly afterward, found John's toothbrush and dipped it in the toilet and then sucked off all the deliciousness. It was so cute. Do you think John would notice if I didn't tell him? Remember that Seinfeld episode where Jerry accidentally drops his girlfriend's toothbrush in the toilet and doesn't tell her? Ha ha. That's so funny! Maybe I'll try it.




Photobucket

Gray knows several little signs. I have a friend who taught her little girl the same age a few signs and I went along and did the same thing. I've really loved being able to communicate more efficiently with him. Faith was my talker, but so far, my boys are a little slower on that front. And that's fine by me! The longer he stays baby-like, the better!
Some signs he knows are:
Eat
Milk
Juice
More
All gone/All done
Treat
Help
Thank-You
Please
Sorry
Play


He also loves to shake his head 'no' for almost everything.
He's talking a bit and can say the following words:
Mamma
Dadda
Wow
Bubba (for brother)
Uh Oh
More
Grays hobbies are:
Putting things in the trash that aren't supposed to go in there, eating snacks, giving loves and kisses, blowing kisses, cuddling, squirming out of people's arms, rockin' out to music, freaking out at any sign or picture of wildlife, sleeping and pooping. He also loves books and the show Oobi on Nick Jr.
We love him and he fits right in with the family!


Gray also really enjoyed seeing Santa this year!

Photobucket

Between work and his church calling, John keeps plenty busy. He always has a good attitude and he blesses our lives with his service and hard work ethic. I'm so proud of him and grateful for all he does for our family and for others. He is a really wonderful person.
I keep myself plenty busy running kids around, cleaning the house, making and cleaning up meals, enjoying time with friends and working out at the gym. Sometimes I even find the time to shower and brush my teeth! I finished my first half marathon this past summer. It was a huge accomplishment for me. I love pushing my body to limits I never used to and love how I feel when I'm finished. I signed up for another half marathon next year and also a Ragnar race. I'm excited, but full of nerves too. I guess that's what makes it fun!

This Christmas season, even in the rush of it all, I've really tried to center my thoughts on the Savior and His sacrifice for us. Heaven knows He has blessed our lives in numerous ways. Gray has recently been pointing out pictures of Christ in our home. He seems to remember Him and know Him. It makes me so happy to see the love in his eyes for Jesus and it reminds me to stay ever close to Him.


Merry Christmas, from our family to yours!

Photobucket
Photo by Camilynne Photography

16 comments:

Kari said...

I have tears from laughing so hard and the picture of Gray with Santa...priceless! Thank you for sharing. I miss your posts. Your family is beautiful! Merry Christmas!!

Joanne said...

I'm still here reading! Loved the post and loved the darling pictures. You all look great and so so happy. Thank you for sharing a little piece of your family with us!

Vickie said...

I love the update! Your family is beautiful! I love the picture of Gray with Santa...priceless! I laughed out loud at e cute things Faith says. Have a great Chistmas!

Marni said...

Woo hoo! I'm #4 reader! :) Always good to hear from you guys.

Marni said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
joyce said...

Oh my heck! I died laughing at that picture of Gray snuggling up to Santa. Lol!!!! I'm SO glad you do this post, even though it took HOURS for you to complete it. Very well written!! Love the pictures, too :)

the wrath of khandrea said...

merry christmas! everyone is looking great. so big. except you. you're not so big. but you are looking great. that compliment got skewed quickly. curses.

happy holidays my friend!

Kim said...

Thank you thank you for this post! I love seeing the photos of your sweet family and hearing how and what you are all doing. It feels like we're just sitting down talking to each other and catching up. Merry Christmas to you and your darling family. Love you!

Annemarie said...

I love it! Merry Christmas!

Laura said...

LOVE this post and all the pictures! Thanks for doing the post!

Sarah said...

Love, love love!

Lauren in GA said...

You look absolutely beautiful Holly!!

I loved this post. I cracked up when I read how Faith laments that, "I just still don't know who I'm going to marry." It's important to get these things figured out.

Your children are absolutely DARLING. The picture of Gray and Santa made me chuckle. He is getting out of Santa's arms as quickly as he can!

The pictures are gorgeous! Faith's hair is to die for ☺

Merry, merry Christmas to you and your lovely family!

monika said...

Love! All the pictures are darling, but I love the one of you and John...hadn't seen that one. And loved your Faith comments...so priceless - I was laughing out loud! Thanks for your treat delivery tonight! Yummy. Miss you...and have a Merry Christmas! Hopefully we'll get to hang out soon after all the madness!!!

Mariel said...

Really fun! You have an adorable family, have a great Christmas, my friend!

Ned and Melanie said...

Even though we chatted for an hour yesterday, I am just reading your blog today. Great update! Your pictures are super darling, as are all of you. I think you should drive to dance every week. It would be way more fun for ME!

Candace said...

sounds like your busy!!! Love all the great pictures and the updates!