Sunday, June 12, 2011

Levi turns 9

Photobucket

I can't believe it's been a whole other year since Levi was baptized last year. How time seems to drag so slowly as a child and fly by so quickly as an adult (especially when you're a parent), I'll never know.

Dear Levi,
I remember when you were born 9 years ago and the doctor held you up and I grabbed your teeny little left foot. I was officially a mom. You were mine! I think if someone would have told me then that I could have loved you more than I did in that moment, I wouldn't have believed them because right then and there my heart was so full! And here it is, nine years later and I love you each day more than the last. You're such a fun boy to have around.

You're smart. You're talented. You're musical. You're energetic. You dance! You sing... loudly! You giggle. You're clean. You're independent. You love school. You love your family. You smile lots and you love lots.

You're growing up.

The other day I was noticing how the shorts that were well below your knees last year are actually above your knees this year. And here I thought I had another year in those things! You've officially hit your growth spurt. And with your 17 teeth lost and your braces on, you're looking older by the day. I'm happy that you're getting so big and so mature. But I'm sad too because where did my little boy go? The little man who'd crawl up and 'shnuggle' with me on the couch is long gone and is replaced with the long, lean boy who graces me with occasional hugs now and then when I'm lucky.

But there's something about you, Levi. Something special. You have a way with people and other children. You're a peaceful presence and I've been told by many a person how well you play with others and how fun it is to have you in their home. You never complain if you are playing with someone older than you, younger than you, your same age or even girls (gasp!). You're just happy to be playing! You love being social and you love everybody.

During the school year, you'd wake up on your own every single morning, get dressed, have breakfast, brush your teeth and make your bed all without being asked. You missed one day of school this year (none last year) and you were so upset! There was never a boy who loved school more than you! After school, you almost always saved your school reward from class to give to Faith. I don't know many brothers who'd do that for their little sisters. You'd come home, do your reading and homework all without being asked. This happened Every. Single. Day. It was amazing.

I have faith in you that you'll continue the same traditions throughout your life and your years of schooling. You're a responsible boy and also a great help with your new baby brother, Gray. You're very willing to take him off my hands and play with him so I can get some things done. One of your favorite things to do is play with him in your room and keep both Faith and the baby happy. You're such a loving older brother.


You're such a wonderful son. The son every parent dreams of having.


I'm so happy that you're mine, buddy. Sometimes, when you're asleep, I go into your room and look at your black eyelashes closed against your handsome face and soft skin. I take a deep breath and say a little prayer.

Wishing I could freeze time.

I love you!!

8 comments:

monika said...

Holly, this was the sweetest letter from you to Levi! And all so true. Levi is such a wonderful boy! You're a lucky Mama to have such a good boy! Love this picture of him too! This makes me want to take more time to write down things for my kids...

charbetrichey said...

Well, you letter gave my tear ducts a work out. Levi is a very good child and every mother should have one just like him. Levi has such parents and every child should have parents just like you and John. We love you and your family.

Rochelleht said...

Wow, that was beautiful. A future apostle? He sounds like a dream. If you ever wanna swap...

;-)

Jylaire said...

So sweet! What a great little guy! I want Beck to end up that way!

joyce said...

Such a sweet post, Holly. Levi is a really good boy, even when his sound effects are in full swing. Gotta love boys and their mouth noises!! Love ya, Levi!!

Laura said...

Love, love, Levi!

Lauren in GA said...

Holly, that was so beautiful. What an amazing young man you've got there!

It really is so impressive and wonderful that he saved his school reward from class to give to Faith.

I totally agree with what you said about time flying by as a parent. I can hardly believe how quickly it all goes.

Kim said...

So sweet! He's such a wonderful handsome boy.