Thanks to Stie and Jessica for the inspiration.
Here's the ugly Holly in all her glory. And if you're thinking to yourself, "why, Holly's hair looks a bit greasy and her roots look bad!" Well, that's because it was and they do. Let me just say for the record, that I could only get this picture the size it is now or GIGANTIC. I spared you all from seeing the dirt in my pores and did the size it is now. I couldn't get a medium or else I would have.

A few bad qualities of mine:
I'm not terribly interactive with my kids. If I try really hard I can be, but I have a better time when they do their own thing and learn to play by themselves. Obviously, this doesn't work all the time, but when it does I'm happy. I try to think of it as a way to 'help themselves grow and play on their own' to make myself feel better about not wanting to get down on the floor and play board games that end in fighting and rule explaining.
I'm not a decorator. I don't have too many items in my home that I'm extra proud of. I continually find myself feeling inadequate when I see other people's homes and their ability to decorate and make things cute. And I have virtually NO holiday decor besides Christmas.
I have spent many years of my life with a bad self-esteem. High School was the worst. I've mentioned before that I didn't get asked to the prom, but what I haven't mentioned is that I wasn't surprised. I didn't feel deserving of that kind of attention and I certainly didn't feel pretty enough to attend. I'm happy to say I'm lightyears ahead of where I was then. Although it is still a struggle for me to ALWAYS feel great about myself, turning 30 was epic for me. What you see is what you get and there really aren't too many surprises since I wear my feelings on my sleeve. I am finally in a place where I'm happy in my own skin and accept my flaws as much as possible.
My drawers are cluttery, my kitchen doesn't get mopped nearly enough, I don't have incredible organization skills and sometimes I'm downright lazy.
Although I have been known to cook certain things that people enjoy, it's simply because I can follow a recipe. I am not a cook, chef or baker. And I certainly don't cook dinner every night. Many nights we have cold cereal or mac n' cheese from a box. If you give me a recipe that requires too many ingredients to buy or too many steps in the kitchen for prep, there is no way I'm going to make it. I count it as a true blessing that I'm married to someone who truly doesn't care if I make dinner or not.
I pick at my face continually and did so right before my ugly picture was taken. It's a bad habbit that I don't know how to break. Pick, pluck, pick, pluck. Pick.
I eat breakfast every morning in front of the computer instead of with Levi in the kitchen.
Somtimes I yell. And sometimes I really 'lose it' when I yell and it ain't pretty. I'm doing better, but it's a really big effort because I really lack patience in all forms.
My whole family knows me as one who likes to be waited on. It's true. I'm a bit selfish and at potlucks, I really like to be first in line so I can be sure I get all the stuff I want. Many nights John will have just come upstairs to bed and I'll ask him to go get me something from downstairs.
When I split something in half with someone else, I usually take the biggest piece.
I really struggle to be consistant. Sometimes I'm really good about keeping my room clean, my bed made, and my bathroom counters cleared, but sometimes I'm just not. I always feel guilty after I harp on Levi to make his bed and at the end of the day I find I never made my own.
I very often make a huge mess in the bathroom. Hairspray, hair, products, makeup.
But on a happy note....
Sometimes I don't and I even use one of those disinfectant wipes to clean off all the hairspray and product residue. So, you see? I'm not that bad.
Oh, and I always have to end on a happy note.


33 comments:
Oh Holly I love your posts! I have missed them and please dont stop again. You freaking crack me up!
And I wish I could look that good when I look bad : )
Did you just look at my life and type it all down? I swear we are the same person. I sit in front of the computer EVERY morning and eat breakfast too...and so many other things that you do. So I guess take comfort in knowing that you are not alone. I still don't think I cold post the ugly picture of myself on my blog though....My self esteem hasn't gotten that much better...
Have you ever wondered why I answer the phone so quickly when you call early? I'm right next to it. on the computer. I love your post and I think the last of it should have been in bigger type! You are awesome!
I love that you admitted you take the biggest piece of whatever you split in half! I so do that too! I am still going to do mine. I should go take my photo right now...I'm hideous!!
Oh, and you are beautiful!
I wish I looked half as good as you with no makeup on! I've scared dogs when I have left my house with no makeup on. Too many zits! Too many covert chin hairs!
I'm with ya, when it comes to playing with my kids. I always thought I'd be one of those kind of parents that would make crafts with my kids and spend hours playing with them on a daily basis. Not so much. I hate cleaning up the mess. And talk about making messes... that is one of the reasons why I don't cook much. Lame, I know. It's that OCD thing.
We all have our faults, but one thing I do know... you are a great person and friend! (even though you don't mop your floors on a regular basis) :)
Honey, you'll have to do better than that photo to convince me of your non-cute status. You are DARLING. And you have flawless skin that I would DIE for! Thanks for playing along!
What a great list, Holly. You are so funny, and such an awesome person (I will gladly let you have the bigger half). I think I might even have a little crush on you!
Holly,
Your "bad" picture is still good! And you don't yell as bad at your children as I have heard others yell..... lol
Okay, so you're not perfect. Who is? Now will you please write another post listing your GOOD qualities, along with the things you do well? I think that list would be MUCH more interesting! After all, I believe it was Grandma Richey—"Mummy"—who used to say, "It ain't braggin' if ya done it!"
Holly, I love this! Maybe I won't post my own, but I will say we have a LOT in common. It was fun to read.
you know, it's kind of scary how much this ALL sounds like me! i could just cut and paste this onto my blog! seriously, almost word for word! weird!
I agree with Irene! Next post should be about your good qualities (that will be a much longer post). And, remind me not to split anything with you because I like the biggest "half".
You just made my day! I know I made yours when London had her post-traumatic break down at the Chick Fil A, and now you've made mine! I just really like you!
We are so much alike I don't think YOU will ever understand how much!
Alan always yells at me for picking my face... its nature, I don't even know I am doing it. So after being yelled at for picking my face, I pick my fingers. And I wonder where Jaimen got the 'picking' thing from?
I think I am the same type of mom as you. I love it when my kids do their own thing. One of my resolutions this year was to play at least 15 min. a day with each of them. I count reading to them as playing with them.
Usually take the bigger piece!!! That was the best line in the whole post!
LOVE it! You look great. Red-heads wouldn't post such a picture, because we are invisible without makeup.
I didn't go to prom. Or any school 'boy-ask' dance.
I pick my face several times a day.
We are awesome.
Love it! You and I are a lot alike!
I loved this post! The part about letting your kids play by themselves describes me to a T. I feel very guilty about it sometimes. My kids are content to make crafts, and play games by themselves for hours. I eat breakfast in front of my computer,while I check the news for the day, and here is the bad part, my kids get their own breakfast in the morning. Pour their own milk and everything! So, I hope this gives you some comfort!
p.s. I might just have to copy this idea.
Thank you, Thank You. i loved your post. Sometimes no i always feel that people are trying to be somrthing they are not. Thank you for your post. I am the same way I feel bad because I would rather have my kids play with each other instead of me trying to entertain them. And for the record Holly i thought you where and are a beautiful person. You where gorgouse in high school don't you ever forget that.
If you weren't so amazing, people might actually believe this crap.
this totally cracked me up!
What a great idea!
I love the real you! I am a picker too, I can't stop.
Holly, you make me laugh! I can't believe you didn't get asked to prom. I can see coming into your own skin and how that takes time, but really? You're a bombshell! So that does surprise me. Now, about taking the bigger half? Shame shame little lass. I'm so scared I'll be damned if I do that, so if there's a a towel that comes out of the dryer looking nicer, I hang it on DUsty's side of the rack, and if there's a piece of pie that looks better, I give it to Dusty...but it's never because I want to...only for the fear! And Dude, you and Dusty are peas in a pod - he also likes to be first in line at any family gathering or potluck - and waited on hand and foot. I just love you selfish people so much!
Don't feel bad about not mopping your floors - no one does it. And yelling (along with other possibly physical abuse), um, I've got you creamed. Ask me my story about Jack next time I see you. :)
Love your post, dear! Thanks for a fun lunch today. C u soon!
I like you just the way you are. I'm a bit of a princess too but then you probably already guessed that.
I wish you had smiled so I can see your braces because adults who wear braces rock.
Seriously Holly, you have a gorgeous complexion.
It is so interesting to me that you didn't think you were beautiful in high school...because you are so beautiful. When I was lurking on your blog one time and I saw your wedding picture I thought you were one of the most beautiful brides I had ever seen. Truly.
I loved this so much. I am working on mine...I should go take a picture for it right now because I am looking hideous at the moment.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who does all that stuff. :)
I found my long lost twin!! LOL!! You're Awesome Holly! :)
I kept this marked unread to I would remind myself to post one of these too. I finally got around to taking TWO pictures of myself for my own entry that I will try and get done later this week. I would die if I ever got 30 comments like you, Miss Popular!
Hopefully that despite counting your "faults" you always remember how much you are loved and adored (especially by moi!) xoxo
You make me laugh! Most of your list sounds just like me. Although I am surprised to hear that you didn't think you were very pretty growing up. I always thought you were sooo much prettier than me when we were kids.
I was reading people's old blogs (rather than doing the dinner dishes or doing my homework) and I came across this one that I hadn't ever read. It totally made my day. It made me realize- I'm normal! Or is I'm not, neither are other people. :-) Okay, I'm worse than you, I'm always ruining surprises. Sorry again!!
Post a Comment