Thursday, October 15, 2009

This Is Where We Say Goodbye

Photobucket

Back when I met John, I knew him to be the 'outdoorsy' type. He loves wildlife. He loves his horses. And he LOVES being in the mountains, hunting wildlife with his horses.

On one of our first dates, John took me horseback riding. I rode 'Bruce' ( a friend's horse, who has now passed on) and John rode Cane. Cane got his name from the upside down cane-shaped white stripe on his nose. I could see instantly the love that John had for Cane and was amazed at what a remarkable animal Cane was. That was back in 1998.

Once John and I were engaged, John purchased another horse, 'Chief'. Because Chief was a bit bouncy and unpredictable when we first got him, John was nice enough to let me ride Cane and enjoy his stability and ease. We went on many a ride together. Cane loved to be the leader of the pack and sometimes I got a bit freaked out by his stealth and speed. One time in particular, I couldn't get him to stop and he was galloping all over the field with me on his back. Until John came to my rescue, that is. Luckily, I have since become a better rider.

Cane saved my life once. We were up at John's parent's cabin riding along the dirt road. The speed limit is 10 mph. Some idiot drove by in a truck with a trailor attached going at least 50. We were on the edge of the dirt road. When the truck went by us, Chief got spooked and made Cane jump and lose his footing. I was on Cane and went almost completely over the cliff. I thought I was dead. But somehow, some way, that remarkable horse got his footing and lifted me back up onto the road. I remember thanking him and crying on his mane.

John has told me the story of how years ago, when he and Cane were on a ride, Cane and John were crossing a rapid river that was deeper than either of them realized. John saved Cane's life by holding his nose above water. And from then on, the bond between the two of them was pretty much as unbreakable as it gets.
Photobucket

Two nights ago, we said goodbye to that dear, old friend. It was a sad, heartfelt goodbye met with lots and LOTS of tears. He was 22. John has had that horse for 17 years. That's a long time to have an animal. An animal who is more than just an animal. He was family.

He's all Levi has ever known.
Photobucket

Telling Levi was the hardest part. I don't think I've ever seen him so sad in all my life. We are still mourning the loss. Every time we think we're doing okay, we have sad waves that hit. I think I've cried over Cane more than any cat I've ever owned (and for those of you who know me well, that's sayin' something. I LOVED my cats.)

Saying Goodbye. If Levi's face doesn't make you cry, I don't know what would. I cry just looking at this picture.
Photobucket

Levi's goodbye...
Photobucket

Cane, you are already sorely missed. By all of us. Chief's sad whinnying outside is a constant reminder that you're no longer there. Even our neighbor came over tonight and said that it feels like your loss left a hole in the entire neighborhood. Thank-You for letting us enjoy you and ride on your back. Thank-you for bringing my boy such enjoyment and keeping him safe in the mountains.

But most importantly, thank-you for not only saving my life, but saving John's.


He loved you most of all.
Photobucket

Goodbye, old friend. We love and miss you.

21 comments:

Annemarie said...

I'm so sorry.

Levi's face is sad, but John's is heartwrenching.

Jeanelle said...

Oh I'm so, so, SO sorry. It is just awful to lose an animal you love, one that is such a part of your family and has been for years. I wish I was there so I could hug you, cry with you and make you pumpkin muffins. xoxox

joyce said...

Oh my word.. those pictures are SO sad. I'm so sorry about Cane. I hope you all heal quickly.. *sniff sniff*

Jennie said...

Oh Holly! I'm so sorry for you all! I love watching your horses and there is someone missing! I think I noticed him gone without realizing it. I'm so sorry!

Jess said...

Holly that made me do the ulgy cry. It is so hard to watch your kids say goodbye to a pet. I am sorry for your loss. Sometimes animals make way better friends then people.
Btw...I I'm still crying.

the wrath of khandrea said...

i'm crying in a way that only hallmark could appreciate.
this was horrible.

heidiram said...

I am not an animal person AT.ALL and I am completely crying. I'm sorry for your loss.

Sunny said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. :( You can see how much he meant to all of you. Prayers and hugs.

Tristan said...

Ok this is totally sad! I'm so sorry!! John's face is totally breaking my heart! What a beautiful horse he was.

Irene said...

I love your horse, Holly, and I didn't even know him. What I do know is that you will ride him again one day. If I didn't believe that with all my heart, I don't think I could bear it, for whether it is the loss of your beloved pet or mine, our joy is not complete without them. xoxo

JANEAL said...

I'm so sorry about Cane. The look on John's and Levi's face is just heart breaking.

MotherBeck said...

It really is amazing the bond that animals and humans can have. It sounds like you had a lot of good times with Cane....

Lisa-Marie said...

I am NOT an animal person, but John's face absolutely broke my heart. I'm pretty sure I won;t cry when our own dog dies, but this...this got me. Bad.

I am so sorry for your loss.

By the way, when i read your title, I thought you were announcing that you were giving up blogging or something. That would be tragic, too.

Laura said...

I am so sorry for the loss of Cane. I know how much he has been part of your family.

I am with Aunt Irene: There will be another day to be with Cane. When that day comes, you will never have to say goodbye again. In the meantime, he is happy to wait for you.

Joanne said...

I'm so sorry for you loss Holly and John. Wow, like everyone said, John's face just breaks my heart. I hope you're able to heal completely.

Mama Bear said...

Holly, I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of such a special family member. I just bawled like a baby like I did when my own childhood dog died when I read this. Hugs for your family during this difficult time.

Sarah said...

Thanks for the tear filled heart wrench! I'm so sorry Holly. Especially for John.

Lauren in GA said...

Oh, Holly, I am so sorry. Levi's little face looks so, so sad and so does John's. What an amazing horse he was. To have saved your life like that and what he meant to all of you. I totally cried as I read this.

When we lost our boxer (my dad's dog before I got married) I truly mourned. I remember thinking that Heavenly Father gives us animals to help us learn what love is.

Rochelleht said...

Oh, that's SOOOO sad, Holly. I'm so sorry.

Hazen5 said...

I am really sad for you! I have tears in my eyes after reading that.

Kim said...

Oh Holly, I'm so so sorry for your family and you. My heart is aching for you.