Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Sometimes I'm In The Mood to Blog and Sometimes I'm Not.

It's official. I've received the maximum amount of crap a person can receive for not blogging. Hey, what can I say? Sometimes I'm just not feelin' it. And the more I got behind, the less I felt like it.

Let's go back in time, shall we? Ya know, when it was still summer. Before school started. Before the Christmas decorations were being proudly displayed at Costco.

It was the annual family reunion at Bear Lake. Ideal Beach. Or, as John likes to call it, 'Ordeal' Beach. Because after all, it is a family reunion. And there has been drama in the past. ER trips, broken toe nails, bawling, etc. But this year? It was surprisingly ideal just like it's supposed to be. I won't talk about the time a few years ago that I was rushed to the ER an hour away from Ideal Beach and when we got there, I was being video taped in all my agony and glory by a person who shall remain nameless. Heh heh. That's a funny story.... now.

Nope. This year was as close to perfect as it gets.

My mom and step-dad are very generous every year and provide us with a fun, comfortable condo to stay in. There are so many of us, that they usually have to get three every year and use up all their points. It makes it so worth it to have your space and a place to go to unwind and sleep after a long day.
Photobucket

There was lots of time at the beach. So much so that I tricked my husband into building all the sandcastles with the kids so that I could be a lazy slug and watch. Bat your eyelashes, ladies. It works every time!
Photobucket

Levi had an exceptionally good time this year. We stayed in a condo with my sister, Joyce, and her family which include their 4 boys. Talk about heaven for Levi! See how happy he is?!
Photobucket
Back when I was growing up, spending time with my cousins was a real TREAT. I remember trips to Lagoon and sleeping on my Grandma's floor the night before. And I remember the yummy 4th of July breakfast tradition that still continues to this day. I hope my kids have just as much fun with their cousins as I did with mine.
A few of the boy cousins:
Photobucket
Here is a picture of my beautiful sister, Charlotte, her husband, and her youngest child. Charlotte's fun times in life are few and far between. She has six children. One of whom is severely handicapped. It's so nice to see her taking a break from it all.
Photobucket
Faith found a plastic 'Little People' hippo on the beach. It totally made her day. I let her steal it because I'm a horrible example. Plus, I was pretty sure the owners weren't coming back any time soon. It was buried two feet down.
Photobucket

I love the beach. I realize that Bear Lake is sort of a sorry excuse for a real 'beach', but hey... I'll take what I can get! Water+sand=yay!

Photobucket
We had lots of time to hang out outside and play games and eat.
And I had time to practice my closed and open mouth smile.
Camera ONE:
Photobucket
Camera TWO:
Photobucket
Go ahead and laugh. I'll let you. This whole 'braces' thing is quite the DEAL. Sure, sure. I knew I would have braces on my teeth. I just wasn't prepared for all the gaps, and weird spaces and strange angling and shifting. And I am SOOOOOOO glad no one told me. And don't even get me started on the 'You look so different!' comments.


A reunion is not complete until all the boy cousins, strip off their shirts and start making fart noises with their armpits.
Photobucket
And armpit smelling. There MUST be armpit smelling!!
Photobucket
Also, what's a reunion without a really clingy toddler yanking and bawling on your leg all day long and pulling your shirt down so far that you show everyone your goods?
Photobucket
Don't even get me started on how fun it is to watch the three amigo cousins (all the same age) eat otter pop after otter pop. Oh, the sticky drool...
Photobucket
But hey... the clean up ain't so bad. And it's FUN! (I kept telling myself that over and over again. Sort of a mantra, if you will.)

Photobucket

Nothing and I mean NOTHING captures the moment of fun like this picture of Joyce and I. Just TRY holding us back from all the celebrating!! Just TRY!
Photobucket
Family Bonding. My brother Grant, cousin Heather, sister Laura, ME:
Photobucket

A few of the Girl Cousins!! (*ahem* and babysitters!)
Photobucket

The lucky individuals without little kids crawling down their backs got to attend the Pickleville Playhouse dinner and play. I heard it was really fun. Ya know.... HEARD.
Photobucket

One of the highlights was FINALLY meeting my future sister-in-law. She'll be joining our family in a couple weeks time. I can't wait for the BIG DAY!!
Photobucket
If you made it this far, I applaud you
To reward you, I'll give you two of my favorite pictures.
I don't know which one is funniest.

This one:
Photobucket
Or this one:
Photobucket

Next year, we're in charge of ALL the reunion planning. If you don't see me for a while, you can assume I went into hiding to avoid any and all responsibility of doing so.

18 comments:

Christie said...

Ha! That picture of the grandparents sleeping is my new favorite picture OF ALL TIME. That is classic. I want it as a header for my blog. So, so funny.

Jen said...

Awesome re-cap Holly! Seeing your "goods" and your sweet grandparents sleeping, made it even better. Awesome.

Jylaire said...

Just for the record, I've never given you any grief about lack of blogging! I had a great time at lunch! We need to make it a regular thing! LOVE the pic of the sleeping grandparents. Priceless!

the wrath of khandrea said...

welcome back.

joyce said...

um, thanks so much for posting the hideous picture of us (I mean ME). Hey, the day's not over... I still expect you to blog about your anniversary, since it's TODAY!!! Fun post, by the way. Felt like I was right there with you.

Tristan said...

Whoa pictures! You have such cute kids!

You are just addicted to Facebook like the rest of us! HA! ;)

Annemarie said...

You are welcome to take as many blogging breaks as you like as long as the posts are all this funny when you return.
You have a gift, my friend. The pics of the grandparents are the bomb.
And...how sweet is Faith's curly hair???

Lauren in GA said...

I love the Grandparent sleeping picture. Truly adorable!

I totally agree with you, Holly. The more I get behind in blogging, the more I feel less like blogging.

I loved the whole post. I laughed at your saying about going back in time, "Before the Christmas decorations being proudly displayed at Costco." So true...Christmas has come to Georgia already, too.

I learned so much from this post. Bat my eyelashes. Got it.

Yes, my boys love the whole fart with your armpits thing, too. They think it is high-larious.

Heidi said...

Excellent blog as usual!! You always make me smile :) And I LOVE the pics at the end!!!! Glad you guys had such a fun time!

Irene said...

You are wearing a Seattle shirt! Yay! Does this mean you will be coming up for a visit? :-)

Unknown said...

I can't believe how rude you are. I'm pretty sure I was there. How quickly I am forgotten about!!!

Hollyween said...

Clark,
A comment from YOU?
Shocking.
If I would have known you actually read my blog, I would have made sure to find your reunion hiding place and snap a photo. You were too busy being a recluse.

heh heh. Kidding! Next time I'll try harder to get ya in there. And hey... I remembered you last year. That's somethin'.

Sunny said...

Oh I loooooooooooooooooove all the pictures. Holly, you are so gorgeous, and so is that little girl of yours. John is in trouble.

Now I really want to go to the beach. Humph.

Laura said...

Holly, Holly, Holly! It was a great time at Ideal Beach. So nice to relax, for once. It was great!

Kari said...

Totally laughing my head off! You are so funny and very cute too. Love the pictures, your kids are getting so big and adorable.

Jeanelle said...

Not sure what I love more, the pic of your grandparents sleeping, you in a Seattle shirt or you smiling with your teeth showing...oh you know it's totally the teeth showing one!!! I'm in a blog funk too -- my mojo will come back soon, I hope...

monika said...

Holly, you crack me up! Seriously, I think you take the cake as the most hilarious person I've ever met. Glad I get to be your friend! By the way, I like the smile with braces! Dusty has a totally cute one right now too that I love...and he's lost 15 lbs already from not eating all his favorite, messy foods! Insane.

Kim said...

I have to say that the first picture of the grandparents sleeping is my favorite - too funny! And I like the open-mouth smile the best, for the record, because I know you are taking a vote. ;) Looks like you had so much fun! (Except in that one picture with Joyce.)