Thursday, August 6, 2009

Gratitude

Photobucket
Faith, asleep on the couch tonight 8/6 after refusing to take a nap earlier today...

On Monday, it started out like any other day. Kids bawling, gym going, hair combing, cereal eating. Pretty typical. Non-exciting. And yet, so much would happen on this day. There would be tears. Lots an LOTS of them.

A friend from the gym (whom I've grown to adore dearly) invited me and another cute friend I love to her house to go swimming. She would get pizza, I would bring drinks, Sarah would bring cookies, and we would talk and laugh and have a GREAT time. But right before we were to leave, there came a very LARGE disappointment in my life. A disappointment that I've dealt with year after year. But we were leaving, and I needed to go, so I tried to push the tears away and get out the door. And that, we did. I did cannon balls. And I tried to go underwater without plugging my nose (which I can't do). And I doggy-paddled a lot (which I can do). And I tried to ignore the pain for a while and have a good time. And then the kids started bawling, and naps needed to take place and it was time to go.

I took off Faith's floaties and she sat next to me and dangled her tiny, brown painted feet in the water next to me. I talked with my friends. And suddenly, I looked up, and I saw Faith completely underneath the water with her eyes open, staring at me in complete PANIC. And I have no idea how long she was under there (probably just a few seconds). And no idea how she escaped my side. And it all happened so fast, and yet so painstakingly slow. I ran to her side and scooped her up, and patted her back and held her tight. And she said to me, 'I scared, mommy. Dat scare me!' And all at once, my body just started shaking and I felt sick to my stomach. And I kept picturing her scared little face and helpless body in that water. And I swear to you that I had my eyes on her the ENTIRE time... and yet, it still happened.

On this very same day, we awaited the results of John's CT scan. They are routine and he gets them twice a year to make sure the cancer stays GONE. We always expect the results to be good. But there is ALWAYS some anxiety that goes along with the scans. It's always nice to know FOR SURE and breathe that sigh of relief. We had waited all weekend for the results of the scan so there was definitely some tension we were trying to ignore. We would not be finding out until that evening.

When I got home from swimming, and put Faith down for her nap, and Levi was watching TV quietly, I had some time to reflect upon all the events of the day. It was a gut-wrenching day. With the major blow I had received early in the day, and the 'what could have been' with Faith in the pool, and the 'what-if's' with John's scan, it was just all TOO TOO much. And I broke down. HARD. Everything just seemed to be so hopeless and that horrible pain and grief in my stomach would not go away. I curled up on the couch and didn't move. I called John and told him about what almost happened to Faith. And I could barely even spit the story out through the tears. I had so much guilt, and dissapointment and worry that I literally felt like giving up for a second. And the tears... the tears just wouldn't stop.

But then... John's results came back. And they were perfect! The doctor even said they were 'stone cold' normal. Which is seriously like the greatest thing EVER to be--just normal. And Faith was FINE. I grabbed her out of that water, I held her, and she was FINE. So fine, in fact, that she told a lot of people her 'scary' story. And I don't think she'll ever want her floaties off again. And John came home from work with flowers for me. And Burger King. And he let me cry in his arms the whole night. And he gave me a blessing. And I prayed. Hard. I thanked Heavenly Father for blessing me with SO MUCH. It is so easy to forget how blessed we truly are. I woke up the next morning early, and thanks to some inspiration from the same great friend at the gym, I read the scriptures and I said my prayers and I read some articles in the Ensign. And I did the same thing the next day... and the next... and the next...


And ya know what?

The Lord knows our needs. He hears our prayers. He knows our spirit. And He mourns with us when we mourn... and comforts us when we need comfort. He answers our prayers the way they are supposed to be answered.

And I'm going to be fine too.

38 comments:

mahina said...

this was simply beautiful! a perfect reminder that the Lord knows us and because of this fact, we will be FINE, come what may, we will be fine!

thank you!

Jeanelle said...

Oh Holly - I'm overwhelmed after reading this. I love the gratitude you feel for everything in your life. You are really amazing and Heavenly Father knows it and loves you for it.

Anonymous said...

Big Hugs Mama,Big Hugs!! I know 'that' disappointment all too well and it suck suck sucks!!! Glad that Faith is okay and that your hubby is great, how scary!!

JANEAL said...

I'm so sorry you had such a rotten day. I'm so glad Faith is okay....how scary. Great news about your husband!

joyce said...

*sniff sniff* Thanks a lot Holly. Gotta go blow my nose...

chrissy said...

(well what do you know? i can comment the same day you post this cuz google reader is all caught up!)

i'm so sorry you had such a scare! i lost olivia last month at wheeler farm. i let go of her hand for two seconds to pick something up. it was during a children's fair, and 20 minutes went by. i could barely breath. some random lady (totally an angel!) found her walking down by the river. i cried for two days straight. i still get teary thinking about it, so this post got me choked up! i'm so, SO glad faith is okay. and i'm glad john's ct scan looks good! and i'm happy you found comfort after such a hard day!

Tristan said...

K thanks for making me cry Holly! ;)

That was just beautiful though! I'm so so sorry you had such a bad day. I can totally understand the tears. I don't think I would have reacted any different. But you are amazing and I truly admire that in you. Love ya chica!

Kaye Starr said...

Hi Holly,
I'm so sorry for your sadness and so thankful for your gladness. It's fulfilling to read this testimony of your heart. It'll remind me of how much I love you, and of how proud I am of you. What a scary experience with Faith! What joyful news about John! We are so fragile, aren't we! Thanks for sharing. It says so much about your love for your family and the Lord. I love you! Love, Mom

monika said...

Aw, Holly, you made me CRY! I love this picture of litte Faith. She is seriously the cutest little girl! That curly hair and those dimples...she's just adorable. I'm glad she was ok too and I'm glad you're ok! I've been praying for you. Now chin up Charlie! We've got some weight lifting to do today.

Jylaire said...

I just want to give you a huge hug right now! Sorry you had an initially crappy day. I'm glad you've got such a great spouse. It makes it all better!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post! Made me cry, though, because I have to confess I've pretty much had the same experiences...all of them. Thanks for expressing it so well.

Laura said...

Oh, Holly! I know that Monday was THE WORST for you and I am so sorry. So glad you have a great attitude and that everyone is okay.

McMillan Family said...

Thank you Holly you have no idea how much I needed the last part of your post. I am going through some stuff right now and I just needed that. I am so happy that John is good and Faith is fine. Thank you Thank you.

Rebecca McNair said...

I am so glad Faith was ok! I don't know why but I was thinking of her yesterday, our little puppy was running around and I just thought to myself Faith would love this little puppy! Weird hu? So you need to bring her to see it. But I am sooooo glad she is ok, and I am so glad that John is "normal!" what a relief that must be. You guys are such a sweet family and I am so glad that everything is going to be ok. It is so comforting to know that we can turn to the Lord with anything and he is always there for us! Let me know if you need anything.

Amateur Steph said...

Oh! How scary with Faith. I'm glad that John is okay too. My heart was sinking with worry for you this post, until the end. I'm glad you can count your blessings.

Christie said...

I was so crossing my fingers for you, my friend. I'm so sorry. I think you are amazing to see the bigger perspective on this. You are my hero.

Sunny said...

What a day you had, oh my. I am so grateful that Faith and Jon are 100% okay.

I wish you were, too... I am praying.

D-dawg said...

Are you kidding me? This is the best post I've read in a long time. Holly, I just love you. I'm so sorry for the sad part in the morning. SO SORRY. It's not fair. But I"m so proud of you for seeing the good and recognizing the blessings and feeling better. That's all we can really do, when things are out of our hands- just focus on the positive. But it's so hard. I'm SO GLAD that Faith is ok. And I'm so glad John is ok. So glad. What a stressful day. Thanks for sharing this post though. It helped me today.

the wrath of khandrea said...

i feel it would be appropriate to leave a smiley face here, but i don't know how. but i'm smiling for you.

Joanne said...

Holly, you are amazing. I don't know how you got through that day in one piece because it seriously would have broken me into at least 1000!!! Thank you for sharing and for helping me realize that I need to be grateful for as well! Love you!

heidiram said...

Oh Holly I am so sorry about the morning news! But I am relieved to know Faith is o.k. and John's results were good.

I don't know how often you are around water (lakes, pools, etc), but I HIGHLY recommend Infant Swimming Resource. It is a survival swimming class. I started my kids in it at ages 13 months and 2 1/2. By the end of the class when Mateo and Sarah had to go in the middle of the swimming pool TOGETHER fully clothed with winter clothes, jackets, and shoes . . . Sarah (then about 15 months old) freaked out and started going under. Mateo was able to grab Sarah and take them BOTH to the edge of the pool. Check and see if there is any type of program in UT.

Lauren in GA said...

Holly, this was such an amazing post. Thank you so much.

I am so glad that John's results were normal.

I am so sorry for your discovery in the morning. You are a great example to me. This post made me weep. Thank you for reminding me that Heavenly Father knows us. I know that but sometimes I need to really digest that.

Jill said...

Holly, you are simply amazing. Thank you for your strength. I felt your power and I echo your testimony. I KNOW the Lord loves us so much and He is in control of our lives. I LOVE YOU. I hope you are healing...each day...
Glad to hear of the other good news!! You needed that!

Ned and Melanie said...

Great post. Well written and right on point. Thanks for sharing.

diane said...

You have been on an emotional roller coaster my friend. You are wise. Go eat some chocolate.

Jen said...

my heart aches for your sorrow and disappointment that you experienced. But then my heart is rejoicing for Faith and John's safety and good health.

It's wonderful to read about the gratitude you feel for the many blessings you have in your life. We are so lucky to know that we have a Heavenly Father who is there for us, no matter what the situation is.

Thanks for sharing your feelings.

Rochelleht said...

I love that our trials are tailor made for each of us and that He loves us and helps us through them. I'm so glad it all ended well and that you have a hubby who can give you a blessing. What a great life!

Kari said...

WOW you are so missed, we don't get enough of you bloggin. I loved this post, totally makes you reflect on your life and blessings.

queenieweenie said...

close calls are SO scary, but such a wonderful reminder of how precious these little lives are.

thinking of you.

Hannah said...

thinking of you, holly. what a darling picture that is of your little one~

Marni said...

Thanks for the reminder you awesome, awesome gal. The title of that conference talk makes me tear up every time.

Jessica said...

Man, I'm tearing up for you. So so so so so sorry about that day and the dissappointment. I wish SO bad I could do something about it.

Love you!

Kimberly said...

Holly, I loved loved loved this post. I am sorry about the hard time you are going through, but thrilled about Faith and John. I had that (almost exactly the same in every detail) thing happen with my 3 year old last summer and it was terrifying. I'm glad she is ok!

Candace said...

What a traumatic day for you! I'm so happy that everything that could've happened didn't! Love you guys

Lauren in GA said...

Hey, Holly...I just wanted to tell you that I don't have google reader...so I just go down my list of favorites when I check blogs and each time I click on yours and see that beautiful picture of Faith I think to myself how gorgeous she is and how amazing her eyelashes are.

That is all...as you were...

Kim said...

Oh Holly - I just love you. Thank you for sharing your day and I'm sorry all of that came crashing down on you. And I'm so happy that Faith is fine and that John is great and that you have renewed hope and a little bit of peace.

Mariel said...

Yikes! What an emotional roller coaster day! Love that John was able to give you a blessing after all of it...and I'm so glad that both him and Faith are doing good!

Anonymous said...

You even brought a tear to Aunt Shirley's eyes. Wow, someone "upstairs" is watching over you and your family. You are very blessed. Give little Faith a kiss for me...oh, and there's one for you too. Love ya!!!