I've whined.
I've complained.
And I've even cried about said tasks.
Exactly five weeks and one day ago, I began a 'Family Contest'. It was inspired by Jill and I pitched the idea to my family. Many of us signed up to compete. And what a competition it has BEEN!
Here are the rules to the contest. For everything you complete, you earn one point with a total of 42 points a week.
No eating past 7:30 pm
7 hours of sleep a night
At least 30 minutes of exercise a day
No overeating of any kind. No seconds.
No treats
8 - 8 ounce glasses of water a day.
The competition ends this coming Saturday (the 25th). So far, I have only lost a total of three points. Sadly, it looks like I won't be winning. I chose to eat past 7:30 one evening to attend a bloggers' dinner (totally worth the point sacrifice, by the way). I chose to share dessert with John at our favorite restaurant on his birthday. And I chose to have dessert at Easter.
I don't care that I'm not going to win. And I mean that. I don't think I have ever in my LIFE been as healthy as I feel today or done as well with my eating as I have done as of late. I never thought it would be possible. Even when I did Weight Watchers, I'd have days where I'd totally binge (remember the Saturday Splurge?). NOT GOOD! The only time I can think back where I was probably as healthy as I am now was when I was engaged to be married. I worked out constantly and gave up treats. Until... we went on our honeymoon cruise and I gained a whopping 8 pounds. Yowza!
But like I was saying, the 'win' for me has been about doing something I didn't think I could do. I've stuck with the contest and the exercise and the monotonous water drinking (with the constant peeing included) and... I did it. I completed the impossible task. Or... at least what I thought was impossible.
But wait! That's not all...
I was recently called to be the 'Choir Director and Ward Music Specialist' for my church. I have to admit that I wasn't the tiniest bit thrilled. But I know the calling came from the Lord and for 'whom the Lord calls, He qualifies'. I put my faith in the Lord and went to work. Leading the music in church (which I feel anyone can do) is a lot easier than directing the choir--let's just put it that way.
My mom is an accomplished composer who has her own choirs. I grew up watching her lead and direct her music my ENTIRE life. She made it look SO EASY!!! Well, guess what??!!!
IT'S NOT!
Luckily for me, she agreed to come help me once a week. She gave me lessons in directing and helped me through all the hard moments. She even filled in when I was without an accompanist. She gave of herself and for that I am SO GRATEFUL! I couldn't have done it without her.
The week before the Easter choir performance, I was literally sick to my stomach. And besides that, who in their right mind wants to lead the choir with their butt facing the audience? Talk about adding insult to injury!
But guess what? I pulled it off. With the support of the choir members, the accompanist, and so many others, we actually sounded good! Even GREAT, dare I say! It was such a relief to sit back down and have it OVER WITH (and to also have my butt not facing the audience anymore). And not only that, but I was just so pleased with myself that I did it. I accepted the calling and pushed through. I completed the IMPOSSIBLE.
And one more thing? Our Stake Conference was on Sunday. Stake conference has been an element in my life that I have avoided numerous times because of the sheer pain it is to manage two small children for TWO LONG hours. Was Faith horrible? Why, yes! Did she color all over John's white dress shirt? Why, funny you should ask! Yes. Yes, she did. Did she chew up 5 crackers at once in her mouth and then spit them all out in a wet cracker heap?
Why, that would be a big, fat 'Yes'.
Oh, but surely Levi was well-behaved, you're saying. Surely that sweet boy wouldn't cause any trouble whatsoever!! Well, you would be mostly wrong, my friends. Mostly WRONG! Though Levi is actually a pretty great kid, he must have announced his boredom and sheer exhaustion from sitting there at least 20, 000 times. And at one point, he put his hand on Faith's forehead while Faith's arms were outstretched trying to reach him so that she could slime her boogers and chewed up cracker paste on his shirt. I can't say I blame him, really. I used to do the same forehead trick with my very annoying little brother. It works every time!
Did we make it the full two hours? YES! I even think I may have come away with tiny tidbits of goodness from the meeting!
Miracles can happen, friends.
And do I say any of this in a braggy tone? If you knew me AT ALL, you would know the answer to be a big fat 'NO'.
Because if you know me, you KNOW the following about me:
- I have never in my life been able to turn down treats. No second helpings? Um, what's that you say?
- I am horrible at stepping out of my comfort zone. I'd rather die, in fact, than do something I'm not used to doing. Any time I EVER started a new job, I'd be ill for the first month. It's a fact.
- Stake Conference? Yeah, I've used it as an out many a time. If there was an excuse, I'd think of it. If the kids sneezed the morning of stake conference, I would announce to the entire family that surely we were MUCH TOO sick to attend Stake Conference. And after all, us not going would surely be for the good of everyone else. I mean, we certainly wouldn't want to make others sick, now would we?
I've had a tiny little thing waiting for me to make my recent hellish (but also very REWARDING) weeks worth my time.
I have a picture. And it was taken with my cell phone which doesn't do it justice.
(My lack of a camera has been another thorn in my side. I recently found out it is LOST at the facility that is supposed to fix it. Nice.)
*
*
*
*
*
Thanks again for the candy rocks, Jeanelle! I've been eyeing them since Easter.
And don't worry. There will be no Saturday Splurges (Or Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Sunday splurges either). What impact would all this work I've been doing the last few weeks have on me if I ate all this in one sitting? I'd erase it, I tell ya. So... I plan on having a tiny treat now and then.
And I'm going to start wtih the Marshmallow Easter egg I've been hoarding since they first came out.Oh my goodness!!! I can't WAIT until Sunday!



21 comments:
Holly, I really am truly proud of you. You're turning your greatest weaknesses into your hugest strengths. Way to go! You're a trooper and I LOVE you!!
HA! I WISH our contest was that short!! Try 12 weeks. It's really time to be OVER!!
I'm proud of you for all the amazing things you've done. Here's my Stake Conference tip. For several years in a row, we went to SC but never set foot in the chapel or gym. We walked into the Stake Center with our kids in tow and walked straight to the nursery, where it is always piped in overhead. The kids played, we listened. It was great.
Girl, you ROCK!!! I am sitting here totally wishing I could be you, so I could rock too.
*sigh*
Way to go, Holly!
Good job going to SC. I really don't like it, but the one time I didn't go, President Hinckley came as a surprise. Duh. So I go every time now!! Even with raggedy kids. Did you see my oldest actually go up to sing?? I was amazed he was paying attention! Enjoy your treat...you deserve it!
you are so inspiring. i sure need to jump on that bandwagon
That was so "Seriously Holly," LOL!!
Sunday was our stake conference too, and I tell ya, I was pondering the night before about what I could bring to keep the littles happy. Wasn't perfect, but the first time ever I didn't have to get up and take someone out for a bit. Last time I sat in the mission office with Erin screaming for probably 20 minutes.
You (and Jill) are seriously amazing and inspiring. I cannot believe you were able to leave all of that and not dig in (especially during the stressful prep for choir!) Congratulations - you totally and completely rock. And I've only recently realized how great I have it to go to stake conf all by myself -- we all want what we can't have right???
i'm not even really sure what to say to any of this other than congratulations. you have worked hard and deserve to feel good.
Congratulations Holly! You did intimidating things and did them well! Good job.
You are so awesome! I could never go that long without treats. Especially around Easter! I'm obsessed with Easter candy!
You rock!!!!!!!!!
You go girl!!! You're so lucky your almost done with your contest. I wanted to give up last week, but we only have 2 weeks left so I CAN perservere. You're amazing though. Isn't it great to unleash the power we have within ourselves!! You can do anything.
Love ya girl.
First...treats, you are much stronger than I and I think the bodies show it
Second...I wasn't here for Easter but my sister and her fam were at the 9am church and my VERY musically talented bro. in law said our ward choir sounded amazing! Way to Go!
Third...you are a brave soldier, I bailed on SC because I couldn't handle it with the kiddos in the tabernacle.
I am all about the Saturday splurge, especially when it leaks over into Friday and Sunday. Way to take control and good luck with your calling. It sounds hard.
I admire your dedication to "the competition" and to your calling. And let me tell ya, I would have never been in the ward choir, if it wasn't for you! It was an enjoyable experience and I'm proud of you, my friend.
And yeah...I totally skipped SC. It's Conner's fault. I was up 3 times with him, during the night and finally went to bed about 5:30 am. I didn't wake up until 11:30. So I'm totally blaming my kid.
Great post, Holly! I can't wait for the contest to be over. I froze three homemade caramels someone gave me for Easter. I am also hoarding a few other things. I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!
You are honest. You are funny. You are strong. You are obedient. You deserve all that candy. And more.
Holly! I am seriously, so, so, so proud of you!! All of it is truly amazing!!!
I love how you described Stake Conference...I loved the, "Why, funny you should ask!" concerning Faith coloring on John's church shirt. Good stuff!All of it was hilarious to your readers...maybe it wasn't so funny at the time. ;) Good moves on that Levi...I agree the hand on the forehead move to save himself from being slimed was a great one.
Seriously, great job to you on all of it!
I once had 6 kids with me for stake conference because I was babysitting my friends' kids for the weekend. I thought this would be fine since my husband being in the bishopric will actually be able to sit by me this time....NO. He got asked to speak. So there I am by myself with 6 kids for 2 hours.
I could never do that contest. Big congrats from me.
I love that you mentioned the insult to injury being having to have your butt face the congregation while conducting. I had never thought of that before but you're right. That would be truly horrifying.
Holly you make me laugh. I feel the same about State Conference. I am usually so happy if we can make it the first hour. Good job on this competion you are a better women then me.
Holly, you deserve to brag a little. Okay, a whole LOT! I know that each of those things you accomplished were not easy for you. (For anyone!) You are A-mazing.
I'm starting a biggest loser type thing with some neighbors on Monday. I'm looking forward to it, but know I will miss my treats. You've been there with me. You know I like my treats. Sigh.
CONGRATS, again!
Post a Comment