Saturday, March 14, 2009

My Beef With Customer Service These Days

I have issues with bad customer service. Especially these days.
Let me explain a bit further:

Back in the day during my sophomore and junior years of high school, I slaved away at Dairy Queen. And it wasn't just any Dairy Queen. No, Sir. It was the one at the MALL. Can you say, 'Day after Thanksgiving sales'? To this day, I think it was definitely one of my harder jobs. There must have been 500 buttons on that till. Totally different from today where everything is exclusively electronic. Back then people actually wrote checks. Or worse, I had to use that manual credit card swipe-y gadget. It was the 'Dark Ages', man.

But I digress. It was no easy job. People got really particular with their Blizzards, let me tell ya. And I'm proud to say I was happy to oblige to the customer's demands. I even had customers ask for me specifically to make their blizzard. Yeah. I know. You're sitting there at your computer, wishing you knew me then. Wishing there would have been someone who could get your oreo/heath/reeces concoction RIGHT! Wishing for my 'mad skillz' .
This perfect DQ cone and its signature curl at the top may as well have been made by yours truly.
Photobucket

I think what's most frustrating to me about customer service these days is the laziness factor. Just today I asked someone at Target for help finding one of those awesome gigantic water bottles that help you get in your water totals for the day. Wanna know what he said?
'Um, I think there over there, but I'm not sure'. And he literally pointed like a million feet away.

LAZY!!!!

And don't get me started on the Clinique counter at the mall. (ironic how I went to both of these places today. Hmmmmm....). Right now it's Clinique Bonus Time. We all know that the gift is rotten crap 90% of the time. And yet, I usually ONLY go if there's a free gift... rotten or not.

"Why, yes, I would like that sickening grape colored lipstick, thank-you very much. It will look so lovely smeared all over my 20 month old's face after she digs it up from the grave of my cosmetic drawer. Such a lovely shade of purple puke I never did see!"

I waited for help by the counter for an eternity while the cutesy girls waited on other customers and took an eternity doing mini-makeovers. I asked one girl behind the counter if she was busy. Her reply? "Um. yeah." And she walked away. Seriously. When I finally got waited on, I asked for help choosing an eye shadow (because of course the one I love has been discontinued. OF COURSE!!!). Finally, we decide on one. It's perfect. I get those little excited butterflies in my stomach over trying something new. I say, "Yes! I'll take that one!" Her reply? "Um, yeah... this one is actually out of stock right now though. Sorry." After I held myself back from pulling her over-streaked hair out, I asked if I could get a rain check. "NO, sorry. We don't offer those." Me: "Even though you're out of the product and it's not my fault?" "Mmm hmm".

Gee. Thanks.

So then I gave in and took the kids to McDonald's. There's a really nice, new one down the street from me. Newer=fewer germs. John was gone, the kids were bored. Bingo. McDonald's was my answer from above.
Now, I don't think any of us expect fantastic customer service at McDonald's. We expect the worst. We're used to it. It's worth those hot, golden fries. Service, Smervice. Am I right?

But today?

Today something strange happened. I walked in to McDonald's and was greeted by two people upon entering the door. I'm talkin' immediately, people. I placed my order. I asked what the southwestern chicken salad had in it. The girl immediately left to get one for me to see. I was then told about the ingredients. So, I placed my order. And here's where it gets weird.

Please pat me on the back for choosing the salad over the two cheeseburger meal supersized. I deserve it.
Photobucket

The girl behind the counter got all my food together on its tray for me, carried it out to the play place, and found me a seat. I sat down. By this time I thought I was sick or hallucinating or something. But then? And here's the kicker... she took my empty drink cups and asked what I'd like in them. And then she actually filled them and brought them back to me.

I KNOW!!!!

And later when I was done eating, she cleared my table for me. It was as if I was having an 'out of body' experience.

The only thing that brought me to reality was the fact that the nice Mickey D's girl kept calling me 'Ma'am'. Yeah. I'll take 'Ma'am' any day if it means all of the above happens.

So... here's to you, Mickey D's chick. Here's to YOU!!! There really is good customer service out there if you look hard enough.
(and as long as you're willing to overlook being called 'ma'am').

35 comments:

Jeanelle said...

Love that they were so nice to you at McDonalds! They could probably tell that you needed a little TLC. And I've so totally given up on the gift with purchase things. It is never worth it and you're right, you end up with NOTHING you will ever use and seriously, how many too small makeup bags do we need???

diane said...

Seriously Holly, this is a classic post. I want to see pictures of Faith with purple lips...please.

Lauren in GA said...

That was so hilarious, Holly!! I love the, "having an out of body experience" and how you explained the lipstick being pulled from the grave of your cosmetics drawer. I was laughing heartily!

I used to work at a fast food joint in Virginia called, "Hardee's"...people were so rude to me. One day I went to Wendy's in the drive thru and the cashier was so rude to me. I was so mad becasue I was mistreated as a customer and a cashier. No justice.

I want you to make me a blizzard. You sounded fantastic!

Marni said...

Holy cow, why couldn't she mention it was out of stock when you went to try it??

The Clinton McDonald's? I took the girls there yesterday for lunch for our first time. It was girls day (the boys were at the Sportsman's Expo), so we were told to go out to lunch. :)

I didn't get escorted to my seat, though... Now I have higher expectations.

joyce said...

yes you were a fantastic blizzard maker! Thanks for all the butterfinger/heath blizzards... they made me who I am today (unfortunately for my butt).
Hey, thanks for the extreme laugh attack last night... I needed it!

Denise said...

I am with you on the Customer Service kick. We waited in Lowes for 20 minutes for someone to help us at the paint desk. After paging overhead numerous times we eventually ended up with 5 sales associates standing around gabbing with each other and still ignoring us. It was a little annoying to say the least.

Annemarie said...

They could call me "dog" at Mc Donalds if it would ensure service like that when I have kids in tow. This was an awesome post.
Ever try to get help at WalMart??Talk about crappy customer service.

Ned and Melanie said...

That truly is amazing! I ate at Rooster's last night with some friends, and from the time we sat down to the time we left it was 2 hours! Holy cow! I don't deserve bad serivece karma! We didn't even wait for a table! We tipped the poor bus boy that kept filling our water. He also brought us more bread so that we wouldn't starve while we waited for them go out back, kill our food, and then cook it. Longest day ever. Oh yes and did I mention that we had TWO toddlers with us? Ouch. I should write a post. I am pretty angry!

Hannah said...

Holy Cow! At McDonald's huh??

Customer service is going downhill, isn't it. It kills me that I have to bag my own stuff at Walmart.

the wrath of khandrea said...

amen.

AMEN!

i always ask to speak to the manager if i'm dissatisfied with my service. i'm THAT customer.

Rochelleht said...

WOW!!! I would have fallen over if all that happened, especially after the craptastic day you had. I'm still stunned over your Clinique counter experience.

You deserved a Blizzard and a sald.

Mmmmm.... Blizzard.....

Rochelleht said...

Um, that's salad, not sald. What's a sald?

Sunny said...

How RUDE! I'm glad the people at Mickey D's were able to turn the day around for you.

And now I have to send DH to DQ because I must. have. a. blizzard. now.

Amateur Steph said...

Purple is such a great color for Faith.
I have given up on customer service and I am always surprised to find it. I'm glad that Mcdonald's treated you right.

Caroline C. Bingham said...

Geez, you might have to go to McDonald's every day now.

Jill said...

Those were great stories. Hilarious. I love customer servies stories...there is a small grocery store here with little business (since walmart shoved eevryone out) and I love going there because whenever I ask where something is the guy stops what he's doing and walks with me over to the exact spot of what I asked. AMAZING!!!!!!!!
Did you tell the McD girl thanks or anything? What a rock star :)

Bobbi Phillips said...

All I have to say is DIDO....the Clinique counter is AWFUL. I don't know why I even bother, I get BUGGED everytime I go there.

Now I need a Blizard...

Jake said...

Holly! You are so funny. I love you!

Bridget said...

I agree about the bad customer service these days. Glad you got some seriously good service at McDonalds.

My best customer service would have to be the day Cole, at 20 months old, vomited in a sports store shoe section. Fortunately not on any new shoes! But the salesguy not only got me the paper towels but he helped clean it up! I was mortified but so grateful at the same time. I tried to slip him some cash but he wouldn't take it. Seriously. What shoe salesman helps clean up a toddler's puke??!

Tricia Ellington said...

I have to comment since I'm on the other end most of the time... The funny thing is I totally agree with you. LAZY people who are only taught to tell their customers "NO" drive me nuts!
I make exceptions all day for customers and do everything I can to make them want to come back to my store. But the second I go to another retailer I'm incredible disapointed with them. Maybe I have to high of standards...

Jylaire said...

I'm totally with you! I kid you not, the best customer service I've had as of late is at the mall's Chick-fil-a, and at the local Arctic Circle. The managers at both places come around about a millions times asking if I need anything. Who knew???

Lynsie said...

WOW I can't believe the Micky D's girl. Although I have been treated better at Micky D's than other places before, but never like that.

Christie said...

Had to re-read Bridget's comment - I thought for a second that SHE was the puker.

Great stories, Holly. You are so spot on. I think I might move there JUST for that McD's service.

Rebecca McNair said...

So I thought the same thing about that nice NEW McDonalds until I saw some kid peeing in the top of the play area!!!! I was like c'mon Layne we have to go. He didn'y understand why I was dragging him out of there. Oh and don't worry I told the annoying mom who was on her phone that her kid just peed in the play area and then told the workers too. I feel sorry for the kid that had to clean that up! She dragged her kids out of there and didn't say anything about it to anyone. Nice hu?

Crissy said...

Are you sure you were at McD's? LOL! That's awesome that she was that nice. If I ever make to Mc.D's anytime soon, I will have to check that place out :)
Sorry to hear about your other bad customer service. I know what you mean!

Ken and Shanda said...

Well, done. Very funny!

Nortorious said...

I hope you tipped her. Poor thing's probably working for nickles.

paulandnichole said...

Holly, you crack me up. You are so funny. I love reading your blog.-Also your kids are adorable:)

Misty said...

You are so funny! I'm glad you got better service at mcd's! It is ridiculous when you can't get good service! I'll have to check out that new mcdonalds!

Anonymous said...

Well done!!! You have discovered the one and ONLY Micky D's in the world that has good customer service!!!
I love it! Just goes to show you that is can be done!

And yes....the purple lipstick...

I am yet to see purple lipstick look good on ANYONE!!!
I think it can work on darker skin gals, but that is even pushing it!

I once heard people say that the purple shade in the lipstick, counteracts the yellow in the teeth.

I am yet to see if this is actually true...
( sounds like the fairy theory of green cover up that conceals red pimples...)
Anyway, enough said!
love ya Holly oxoxo
Marsha ( your favorite cousin)

Aussiemuminthekitchen said...

Holly, I just found your blog this morning through other blogs- You know how that goes. I see that you have two beautiful babies and were sealed in the Bountiful temple. We have one little boy and we too were sealed in the temple. Anyway, its just hard not to feel a connection with someone (even if you don't know them) when they have been through something similar. We live in Kaysville. I wonder how close we are. It is fun to think about. Best wished to you and yours!

Momma Ballou said...

HILARIOUS!!! I too love that McDonalds. See ya THursday

Kim said...

That's awesome! I love that McD's and they ARE really nice there, but your experience was the best! The purple lipstick thing was fuuuunnnyyy!

shauna said...

That was an awesome post! Goes to show, you just never know where you are going to find goodness.

I hope she got a raise.

Cathie said...

Holly,
Just noticed your braces from a picture in Jill's blog! I am sooo excited for you!!!! I am only sorry that you can't be here in Alaska to have them done by the best(: Anyway, maybe you are going to my dad in layton or clinton (he's the second best).