
Faith is 19 months old now. When she turned 18 months, I thought things would probably get a little easier with her. Being old enough to go to nursery at church was one of them. And it definitely is a huge bonus. Especially because she goes in there really well and is almost always happy.
But...
Other things aren't as easy. Remember the 'Tasmanian Devil' from Looney Toons?
That's Faith right now. And it's HARD.
Here's a little peek into my life yesterday:
Picked up the contents of no less than 4 bathroom drawers that had been dumped on the floor.
Cleaned up all the tissues she had popped out of the tissue box.
Picked up all the tampons she had taken out of the box and thrown all over my house.
Got teary over a bracelet I discovered she had broken.
Swept up an entire box of cereal off of the kitchen floor.
Got teary again when I discovered she ate an entire tube of my favorite lip gloss.
Picked up the contents of my purse for the millionth time and cursed when I saw she had smashed yet ANOTHER tube of lipstick.
Apologized profusely at lunch where I went with a friend. Both to the friend and the waitress.
Put her in her chair to feed her, and not 5 minutes later cleaned up all the food she had thrown all over the floor, cleaned up dinner and then put her back in her chair when she decided she was hungry again.
Picked up the dishes from the dishwasher that she had carried to every room.
Cut her fingernails to save my face and my legs.
Changed her outfit twice
Saved her from near-death when she climbed onto the table and tried to get off by herself.
Put her down for a nap only to have her wake up after only 40 lousy minutes.
Picked her up a million times and tried to put her down a million and ONE times. Every time I try to put her down, she clenches her legs around my waist and uses her arms and legs to climb back up.
Actually got angry when she hurt herself yet again.
Suffice it to say that yesterday wasn't one of my finer moments. And it definitely wasn't one of Faith's finer moments either.
It's crazy because I find myself looking for things to give Faith that I actually don't want her to have. Why did she have my lip gloss, you ask? Pure desperation! How come she had access to my purse? THE SAME DESPERATION! The bracelet? Yup. It's like I temporarily go insane when I hand her things. It's not the real ME doing it. It's 'desperate Mommy'. I even tell myself 'Oh, she's going to play with this item carefully and happily and it will keep her busy for at least a good five minutes while I
Here is an example:
A week or so ago both of my kids were sick. Faith's sickness wasn't as obvious (ya know, until the diarrhea hit) because she was just whiny all day. She cried, she whined, she pointed to things she wanted all day and I had just HAD. IT.
Would she eat anything? Uh, no.
Would she be happy for two seconds? Uh, no.
What did I do, you ask? I went crazy and gave her this:

Pay close attention to her hair. Only a couple hours before this picture had been taken, her hair had been cute. Done for the day. And check out her angry eyes.
How long did this
A whole 3 minutes. I timed it. She didn't even eat the whole Popsicle. She ate just enough of it to drip sticky Popsicle puddles all over herself, my floor, her seat, her shirt and her hair.
It was a real winner of a day.
She's not all bad though. Besides being a busy body, she is happy when she's not sick or teething.
She giggles and says a bunch of words. The other day she discovered the word 'toot' and would hold her bum every time she tooted and she'd say 'toot', 'toot!' Then she'd laugh and she'd laugh about it!
She's getting the cutest head full of curls. It's adorable. I love it at the end of the night where they all spring up so soft and bouncy. And they smell so good right out of the bath.
She still has the cutest little voice and her jibber jabber cracks me up.
She's just SILLY. She will put all of my hair elastics on her wrists and think she's the prettiest.
She pretends that she can't hear you and tries not to look at you or smile when you're talking to her. And she has a total smirk with she's doing it.
Plus...
there's the dimples and her cute smile. And the way she will hold both hands out in a little cup-shape when she wants you to give her something. Try resisting THAT!
She's just... CUTE.

And do you want to know what the craziest part of this post is?
I'm totally ready for another crazy, jibber jabbering Tasmanian devil and I have been for quite some time. No, this isn't an announcement. I just wish it was.


28 comments:
So many memories of Audrey at that age just came flooding back to me. Oh boy. Here's to better, funner, happier days in the future! (By the way, I don't know if you've been to my blog lately, but I just wanted to let you know we're having a boy!)
I know it's hard, but you make it soooo funny!!!
It's a dang good thing they are so stinkin' adorable!
Take comfort in knowing that so many mothers feel your pain. Me included. She really is just about the cutest thing on the planet though, and really how can you resist that little face?!?
I feel your pain. I feel your pain. I could've written the same exact post about Conner, except for the eating the lip gloss thing. And I'm not quite ready for another little one to add to our crazy household. Just know that I'm here for you whenever you feel like you need to vent or swear. We can do it together.
Hope you get knocked up soon!
"Knocked Up" wasn't the most appropriate choice of words. Sorry. Hope to hear good news soon, or how about... hope that you are with child soon. Any way, it WILL happen! I just know it, 'cause I know all.
Dude....this stuff is sounding all to familiar. This is a HARD AGE. They are out of control and cant communicate what they want. I have been going crazy too...
This was the HARDEST phase with my London. I swear that the terrible twos hit way earlier with little girls! I totally feel your frustrations! Oh, the joys of motherhood!
It's a good thing she is cute. I always remind myself how much I love my kids when they are asleep. And when they say something like I love you mom. That makes it worth it!
it's a great thing that these are just phases! today in relief society i was reminded to cherish these moments because there will be a time when we wished they were with us making our lives crazy! i don't know if i believe it when i am in the moment, but i know i will wish these days back at sometime in my future! it just seems like such a long ways away!
i love this post!
Ian is looking at the pictures of Faith right now and laughing and talking to Faith. He knows what a hoodlum she is!
Faith's phase is exactly three months behind Mimi's. We just went through this. Add on top of it the eating out nightmare and clingyness, wherever you go.
The good news -- at almost 2 Mimi has started playing with toys by herself. She has started pretend play and makes dinner and takes care of her babies. It's getting MUCH easier. Sure, there are still tantrums, but she's made progress, at least around my house. She was persona non gratis at my family's houses. Too messy. I always think, "How can I be totally annoyed with this person, but love her so very much and think every naughty thing she does is adorable?" It gets better every day and we can even take her to restaurants. Hang in there.
the best part is when you can write it down and see the humor. trust me, in a few years, she will be begging you to read her this stuff. my kids eat it up. they're lucky they lived long enough to have it read back to them.
You little one sounds like my little boy! He is four and still gives me a run for my money.
She is such a busy body, and way cute at it too. It would be very hard to be mad at her and that face.
You blogged about it with such humor! Good for you...and she is so dang CUTE!!!
The title is superb, too! I love that first picture so much. Such beautiful photography.
I loved Andrea's comment...it is so true...my boys love hearing how they tortured...er, I mean entertained me.
WOW! What a handful. But she is adorable!!! I guess that makes up for it, right?
That is exactly how Jaimen is when I am being desperate Mommy. The sad thing, I feel like I am being desperate Mommy everyday. I keep thinking he is in a phase also- a year long phase, then the next one will start.
I love the popsicle picture, Jaimen to a T.
And Jen- Knocked up?? Really. Good wishes
It does eventually get better, I will tell you that. You're in one of my least favorite stage: Tornado Stage. Hang in there, friend.
Oh dear...I totally relate. Doesn't it help so much that they are cute?? I tell my kids all the time to be thankful for their cuteness cause otherwise I might beat the snot out of them! Kids are fun.
So, you can get a signature on www.mylivesignature.com. I made mine on photoshop. But, I have also used one from that web site. It's pretty easy. Also, I fixed the links on my other blog. Thanks for pointing that out!
So we are about 8-9 months behind you, but you totally described my thought process. (He'll be fine playing with this pen, maybe he'll sit quietly and write a novel or something.) I am terrified for the day when he can actually RUN around the house... *shiver*
Oh, and that old lady on the digial conversion PSA is the FUNNIEST THING EVER. You are totally right. Don't let anyone tell you different. :)
I SOOOOO feel your pain....I do have to say that I'm glad I'm a working mother at this point in time. (Should I feel bad for saying that???) I'm not sure how many expensive make-up items I've had to throw away. I so do not want another child right now....I only have one and I work and I still can't handle it. I suck as a mother right now. I just keep praying for patience...I think that's why she's into everything right now...he's trying to help learn patience...I still haven't caught on. One of these days I hope I get it.
Oh, Holly, I wish it were an announcement too.
I don't have any advice for you cause Meg is my own little Tasmanian Devil. I do the same thing, give her things I know I'll regret but I just need peace for like two seconds. Accccck!
Hang in there!
She is such a cutie! But yes, it is very hard when they don't feel good, they are so cranky! We love them anyway, even if they do make us insane and crazy some days!
She is sooo dang cute. And you make me laugh. I am "Desperation Mommy" almost all the time.
She sounds like Tatum! Tatum is into everything. Today in the time that it took me to go to my room and change my clothes she got a marker climb the stairs and drew on all the wall going up the stairs.
The pictures say it all. I love them both. Great title too!
OH!!! So glad those days are over. Good luck, girly!!!
She is such a doll, Holly! Love this post :)
Kids are so worth it all though! And I know you agree with me!
She is too stinkin' cute for her own good ;)
Post a Comment