Sunday, May 25, 2008

Kindergarten Year Synopsis

The time finally came. Levi graduated from Kindergarten. And to tell you the truth, it's all a bit surreal for me. Do you ever have one of those moments where you're sitting there looking at your kids and you sort of space off and as you're looking at them, you can't believe that it's your life? And you have to touch them to bring yourself back to reality?
Well, that's how it's been with Levi lately. This past year has been a big one for him. Not only has he gone through a growth spurt and changed his look (ya know, since the big gangly permanent teeth came in), but he's big. As in, he's really not a baby anymore. He lost that 'baby' quality when he walked through those front doors his first day of elementary school. If you blink, you'll miss it.
I remember the first time I heard him read, I could NOT believe what I was hearing! My child is reading??! I remember the first really naughty thing he did shortly after his start of kindergarten that assured me he's been around other kids and not in the confines and shelter of home. You begin to understand that you can't protect them as much anymore. And it scared me. It didn't scare me enough to take him out of kindergarten and give up my precious time without him, but it did scare me.
Here's a chronological account of the past year of Levi's life:

Levi FINALLY becomes a big brother! He was so excited for Faith to come home. He was always very cute with her, but in the first three weeks of Faith's life, Levi completely ignored my existence. I was glad when he grew out of that. I missed him.

Levi is a ham in real life and in any and all pictures taken of him. He's got the 'it' factor. He came up with this pose all by himself.

There was a time we were extremely scared for Levi last year. He was experiencing frequent, severe headaches that would last anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour. He had to have an MRI to make sure he was okay. John had just finished his chemotherapy and Faith was tiny. We just sort of sighed and asked Heavenly Father, "What else?" Thankfully, the MRI turned out normal. He has only had a couple episodes since the MRI. I'm hoping he's grown out of them.

Here's Levi on his first day of Kindergarten. He looks so much smaller there to me than he looks now. He still had that 'baby quality'. I don't know if it's because I have Faith that he seems so grown up to me or if he'd seem that grown up to me anyway. Either way you look at it, it's bittersweet. I'm happy that he's grown up, but wish I had a remote control so I could look at the young moments in his life now and then.


Levi has lost 5 teeth since his start of kindergarten, making it a total of 7 since he lost two in preschool. He is one of the youngest kindergartners, definitely the smallest in his class, but has the most teeth missing.



A picture before the ganglies came in.



Levi shot his first BB gun this year. Just proving how big he is. See him with his Dad? That's the person he would choose to be with 24/7. Just one more piece of evidence of how much he's grown up. He used to want ME all the time. He'd beg to snuggle with ME on the couch. I'm just the lady that gets him going during the day now. The real fun doesn't start until Daddy is home.



This last year has been met with lots of laughter...



And its share of tears and whining...

But what I've noticed most about Levi this year is how much he's grown. And I don't just mean that his pants look more like capris. I mean he's really grown. He's helpful. He makes his bed every day. He's learning. He just 'gets it' more. And he's happy. And that makes me happy.

Here's Levi on field day after school. I thought he'd be totally excited all day long. But he really wasn't. I think he didn't really get what 'Field Day' was and what it entailed. Would he have to pick up garbage in the field? Run around in the field? What exactly is a field anyway?

This post wouldn't be complete without a tiny snippet of the Kindergarten program. He's the one in the dark green and gray striped polo on the second to back row. Even if you're not family, you might enjoy this video. For some reason during the song, the music stops and all the kids from then on just can't seem to keep going. They're all in shock.



Here's Levi performing his magic trick for millions of people. Okay, not millions, but close. The entire ward feels like millions to a 5 year old, okay? I promise you won't be sorry if you watch this. This is what I'm talking about when I say he has the 'it' factor. He's a performer.

25 comments:

Jennie said...

What a fun post. I love Levi. He's dang cute. Sam said that he "thinks the music was supposed to be off" during Sneaky Snake. Who knows? You're right, he has grown up a lot.

Paige said...

I agree, that kindergarten year is Magic. They go in babies and come out so big! Levi is cute and I wish I could just bottle little boy. It just gets better.

Kim said...

What a darling boy you have. I can't wait for those years when Jacob is a big brother and is helpful. Although he's pretty darn cute the way he is now. It's hard for us mom's to have our kids grow up. You've done such a great job being his mommy.

Linsey said...

This is a great summary and something he will treasure when he is older.

Jen said...

I get such a kick out of Levi. During Sac. meeting I saw him showing his picture album of your family to one of Misty's boys. I thought it was too cute that he wanted show off his family.

It is true. They grow up way toooo fast. But then there are more exciting experiences that they will have and you will be amazed at what they learn!

The big '12' is just around the corner for us with Cody. I'm a bit anxious. Even though we have more than a year...

Amateur Steph said...

What a great synopsis! It is wonderful that they grow up, but kind of hard too. Levi is a cute kid.

The Brann's said...

He's such a cute kid. I can't believe our babies are out of kindergarten. We CAN'T be that old!!!

Annemarie said...

That's a big year for such a little guy! It's kind of hard watching them grow up. The videos are hilarious!

Crissy said...

He is such a sweet little man! They grow so fast!
I can't beleive that in a few years I will have a teenage daughter in the house!!

♥Shally said...

OH. MY. GOSH.

I wish we lived closer-- our kids could hang out!! Levi and Jaxon would be quick friends, and Cam and Faith could crawl around chasing eachother!!

I can't believe Jax is going to be in 1st grade next year!! Eating lunch at school!! I will see him for like 5 hours a day!

WAAAAAA!!!

Tristan said...

He is such a handsome little guy! They really grow WAY too fast!

mahina said...

kindergarten! that is a big milestone! now he will be gone all day not just half day (unless you already had him in full-time kindergarten?). it was a weird adjustment to have nani gone all day! it seems like i only get her for a small fraction of the day!

he sure is a handsome boy!

Jill said...

He is a sweetie Holly. You should be a proud mama!! They grow toooooooooooo fast.

Nortorious said...

WHAT is that tool by Levi's mouth? How did your husband con him into that arrangement?

the wrath of khandrea said...

just wait until he checks out his first girl. that's when i almost died. then it feels like your whole world is about to slip away.
-sniff-sniff-

gab said...

My kids are coveting the gun and all the lost teeth! He is a QT.

Lynsie said...

I love that picture of him "before the ganglies came in" hehe its so funny!

I can remember when Levi was a super shy toddler, Jaimen's age. Holy Cow time flies!

Lauren in GA said...

Ohhhhh, I agree...if you blink you just might miss it...My heart aches a little that my kids just keep growing SO fast...I was looking at pictures from the beginning of the school year...they really do change so much in the course of one year.


I am so glad the headaches seem to be going away. You have been through so much...you are a very strong lady. :)

Momma Ballou said...

I wish my kids were back in kindergarten and NOT bringing the police into my home!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

He's adorable and you are a great mom. Reading this post makes me so excited for the future with my babies...but so sad to see them grow up.

Laura said...

Levi is soooooooooo cute! I can still hear him singing "Green Ball, Green Ball" Ha, Ha. Remember that?

Jylaire said...

Super cute post! Isn't it crazy to think that you've got a full on elementary schooler? I get so excited for full day school, but I know that when it actually comes, I'll cry like a baby!

Hazen5 said...

Boy, he had one busy year. As the years go on they become more filled with milestones. I can't wait to read those posts!

queenieweenie said...

definitely has the "it" factor! what a cutie

Lorena said...

Seriously, Holly, he is such a cute boy! I can't wait to meet everyone in July.

You have had quite the year...you are inspiring!