I've been watching "The Biggest Loser". I was going to make this post all about the winner and how much I like/dislike them. But because I haven't actually seen the finale that aired tonight, I won't. So.... puhlease do me a favor and DO NOT tell me who won in a comment. I'll find out tomorrow when I'm awake enough to watch it.
Every time I watch that show, I get majorly inspired. Especially with Ali. She's been amazing and has lost 99 pounds! 99!!! So here's my question: If people on that show can lose more than 100 pounds, why can't I lose a measly ten???!!!!!!! I like to blame it on the baby. And the nursing. I keep telling myself that the rest will come off when I wean Faith. But... will it? What if it doesn't and I actually (gasp) gain??!
And why can't I lose this:
Even though the weight has slowly come off in other places, the belly bulge is still looming. I need a miracle. A secret miracle that someone knows out there and is willing to share with me. Cuz my own routine just ain't cuttin' it no moe!
Perhaps I should get rid of the 'Saturday Splurge'? Please say no.
I just don't think I can bring myself to do it. The splurge is my only saving grace keeping me in this whole 'weight loss' thing.
I need a vice. Give me a vice.
Great. Now that quote about vice by Alexander Pope that my Dad always recited to me is running through my head. Thanks a lot, Dad.





42 comments:
Don't give up friend! I think you look great and you are doing great. There's a big difference between you and Ali and the rest of the "biggest loosers" on that show.... you are home. You are taking care of family, friends, home, etc. At least when you were pregnant, you looked it. Remember what "Z" said to me, "Adopted?" The first Sunday I came to church with Conner. The woman couldn't even tell I was pregnant. And no it wasn't because I just had a tiny little belly... it was because I had a pregnant belly surrounded by chub!
Try yoga. I love it and it is so super great for abs.
You know my struggle with weight loss, so I am not the best to give advice. The last ten pounds are always the hardest to get rid of. And remember, in The Biggest Loser, they exercise like 10 hours a day, everyday and they are competing for $250,000...that would make me pretty motivated!!
I have to just re-say what Jen and Becky said...they are in the gym ALL day, they have personal trainers working on their personal Stuff...notice that in one week Kelly's thighs got thinner?? You are living real life! I think real life is better than reality TV.
I do watch the show and find that eating my favorite ice cream while watching is wonderful...
You look great and you don't look like a muffin!!!!
Those people have TRAINERS 24 hours a day!! And other people around them all the time that are trying to lose weight too. Not to mention the HUGE competitive factor, MONEY!
I still have 10 pounds too-- I swear it is all around my belly. Half of it is skin, which is not coming off without a little help by a plastic surgeon!
If you find a secret-- PLEASE SHARE! :)
You look great Holly, and can't compare yourself to them. They had a heck of a lot more weight to lose than you ever started with. I think you've done a great job at home!!!!
The finale was awesome!!! Of course...they kids and I did your weekly tradition, and sat and ate oreo's while we watched it.
Okay, here's my two cents:
You are nursing. Your body is burning between 500-800 calories JUST to make milk for the babe. That's a lot. You might not be eating enough, given that factor. Not eating enough will cause your metabolism to immediately shut down, and losing any weight will be impossible.
Second, I'd try shaking things up for a week or two. Throw your body a curve ball. Eat different things than what you've been eating. And *gasp* give up the Saturday splurge just one week and see if it makes a difference.
I have been trying to lose my last ten pounds for about three years. I keep cheating, and it keeps staying on. But these are the things my trainer keeps telling me (I finally hired one after watching BL.) Strength training with weights also helps. Good luck!
Oh Holly. Hang in there. It can be so frustrating can't it? I'm with ya on the last ten pounds.
I think you have already been given some great advice. I'll just agree with everyone else.
AND don't forget that the slower it comes off, the longer it stays gone. So, that is in your favor!!!
Holly, you shouldn't fret! You are worrying far more than you need to. You look great!
But, I know that's always easier said than done. It's funny cause now that I'm pregnant and feeling a little...large...I look at pictures of myself when I was not pregnant and I think "why was I so hard on myself??...I look just fine". (Considering having 3 kids) Granted, my body was never the perfect, ideal, model type body after having kids (or before)...but still...I didn't realize how hard I was being on myself until now. Now...that I'm much bigger (and not just bigger in the tummy area!) So, I'm pretty sure you are just being hard on yourself too.
So, now I'm trying to tell myself to REMEMBER not to be so mean to myself after I have the baby. I'm sure I'll forget....
But, I agree. Those last 10 pounds are a real bugger. Even when I managed to lose it...it came right back. It's like my body just wants to way a certain amount and I can either fight it tooth and nail or accept it. I always seem to go back and forth on my decision...
Oh Holly, watch the Finale!!! I watched it this morning before I came to work, because I couldn't bear not knowing, and mistakingly finding out who won!
I am so glad you watch the show, no one I know watches and I am a freak for it. The dedication all the contestants have both on campus and off, is amazing to me. There is no way I would ever be able to do that. If I gained weight like a regular person I would be obese and have a hell of a time not eating whatever I want, whenever I want.
I am serious that I am a freak for the show, I was screaming and yelling "WOHOO" last week when the girls lost that much weight, especially Kelli, she hasn't had huge numbers forever.
Go Girls!! WOHOOOO!!
Watch the Freaking Show and Do a new Post!!!
I'm rude I was so caught up in excitement about the show and someone other than me watching.
Holly I love you to death, and I think your perfect the way you are!
I know you don't think the same thing, because I don't think I am perfect the way I am, so you would probably tell me to just SHUT UP!!
But I really believe that you should love yourself the way you are, and if that means changing something you can stand changing, then do so. I am here for ya! And Ice Cream and Saturday Splurges are way to hard to say NO to.
Love You!
I hear you on this one. It's SOOOO hard not to want to look perfect. I am starting to think that I will NEVER be happy with how I look. I keep saying "when I loose 10 lbs I will look SOOOO GOOD" but then I loose it and I still think I look huge and then I say 10 more and I am getting close to that, but I am STILL NOT HAPPY. I'm starting to realize that perhaps the problem is my perception.
I look around at other people and think that they look great (like you. You look super skinny to me), but I cant seem to take that same attitude with myself.
I know that you CAN loose the weight if you want to. I dont think you NEED to though. Dont be so hard on yourself.
Oh, and watch the finale. It made me so happy. I LOVE that show.
I loved your "spare tire" and "muffin top" pictures! You are so clever :)
I know what you mean. I am having the hardest time getting the baby weight off. What makes it even worse is, my baby is going to be 5 years old in a month. I am the biggest LOSER...and I don't mean that in a good way.
I think I could qualify for the "biggest loser" because I sat watching an episode with a bag of m&m's close by. It will come off...it takes time, but don't give up, it will come off.
i was fine after my first two girls, but this third one changed my body so much! for the first time i had the muffin top. still trying to get rid of it and my baby is 18 months!
before i had our first daughter i was a personal trainer. the sad fact is that it is 75% what you eat and only 25% what you do (physical exercise). so for those of us who LOVE food, namely me, it is a bummer.
but seriously, about 2 months ago i decided to eat smaller portions at dinner and not get seconds (i am a big eater, most nights i out eat my husband!). amazingly enough i started losing those last 10 pounds.
one thing that helped me flatten my tummy FAST after our second was pilates! i love it!
good luck and know that you are not alone in your quest for shedding that last 10 pounds!
That show makes me hungry! An ulcer is a good diet, but I don't recommend it.
I have actually heard that having a splurge day is good! Eat very well every day but splurge one day to shock your matabolism into gear again. Dr. Laura says.."eat less move more" I have a hard time with that too. UGH!
I didn't watch the finale. I was at dinner with friends eating buttery garlic bread. And creamy alfredo pasta. And a coke. And two different kinds of dessert. YUM. So... I'm probably not the best to give advice on that last ten pounds... Heh heh.
1) My body always holds on to about 7 lbs when I am nursing.
2) The only way I lose the last ten is to give up my weekend splurges. Sorry. Before you decide, just count (at the end of the day) how many calories/points you consumed on Saturday. I did that and realized that I was eating 3000 calories on my day off...that's almost a full lb and I was losing all the ground I gained during the week. Sucks. I know.
And I was so at a weight high when I got pregnant, that I am trying not to freak out. So I'm not really one to talk.
Have any of the contestants on the show had babies? Cause the belly bulge is part of babies and just there forever I think, for everyone. Good luck, I like Rochelle's idea... Yoga... I've been wanting to try it.
I have ten more pounds too and my youngest is 3 1/2 yrs old! Some days I just myself, my body must have just changed because I am doing my best and working out like crazy. I am trying to be happy just how I am in case I never lose any more.
I wish I only had 10 pounds to lose. But I like food too much and don't like exercise. :( You are sooooo pretty and in my opinion "skinny"! But I know how frustrating it is. Just keep pluggin' along. It will come off.
Isn't that show the best!!! It is so inspirational. The finale was good...go watch it. The finalists looked awesome. Ali is such a babe, I can't believe how transformed she is. I want to look like her. She is hot, buff, skinny and toned. Like many others have said, they train like athletes and that is all they are doing...working out. Now they have to hit reality and figure out how to incorporate it into their lives...I'm sure they will make it their top priority for the rest of their lives because they know how important it is for their LIFE. You already look awesome and are doing so good...but I guess you could always turn it up a notch if you are that passionate about it. It's crazy how intense they are when they work out...it kind of scares me!
Have you watched it yet because it is awesome!! I am a huge fan of the show too!
Such a good post because of the great comments. I agree...do something different with your eating and/or workouts. Your body just gets used to the same old and thinks that it is time to maintain. Stinkin' body!
I also lost 5-10 lbs when I stopped nursing. I am not one of those moms that loses weight because I nurse, I lose it in spite of nursing!
And, unfortunately, I'm with Jessica on this one...weekend splurges are for when you are maintaining, it only hastens your weight loss. I know, no fun!
Not that I should talk, I still have 15 lbs to get back to my WW goal and my baby is 4.
Just hang in there...that's what I'm trying to do!
It's totally the nursing, Holly! :)
It adds weight that doesn't come off until you're done. I am now done nursing and have started the last 10 pds battle! I imagine my last few pounds to lose will come right off my chest, instead of my belly where I want it to come off. Then my shirts will still not fit. Dang it!
I've just started some pilates and my abs hurt, so I imagine they are working. I'll let you know.
My comment makes it sound like I have 10 pds worth of chest to lose. Not so. I'm sure that will be the only place I can lose weight though, unfortunately.
Oh Holly - you are fabulous looking. I would never look at you and think that you needed to loose ANY weight. I do understand how we all have an image of our own perfect body in our minds and it stinks when we can't get there.
My advice is to make people take pictures of you while standing on a chair. Who cares what you look like in real life when we're all internet friends?
Thank you for posting this - unfortunately I don't have any good advice, but I have the same probably and really appreciated the helpful comments. Good luck, I'm sure you'll get there, but if your pictures are any indication, you do look great!
I LOVE that show!! And I love Ali! She is so sweet! Hang in there, Girl!! It will come off! At least you are working at it and not sitting on your tooshie doing nothing. Just keep at it, it will happen ;)
I kinda like your "Saturday Splurge", and since we're practically neighbors, I could totally help you out with the cinnamon bears (that's MY vice!)I, unfortunately, have been splurging since our trip to Arizona in March and trying to get motivated again ever since with no luck. It stinks to have to re-lose the same weight over and over. I'm a slow learner, what can I say! Hang in there - you'll figure out what works best for your body!
Why is weight always an issue with us women? It seems like we are always worrying about our weight. I know I do and it is soooo annoying.
My advice would be to do Cardio for atleast 30 minutes and make sure your heart rate is wher it should be. I, personally, think running shows results the fastest. Also, lifting weights..it really makes a big difference. Another, count your calories. I know it is annoying, but it works. Make sure you are not eating more calories than your body is burning.
I by far am not an expert at this, but these are a few things that have worked for me.
Just try not to get obsessed...it can over take you! =)
I gave up.
I just need the "Poof! Your fat is gone..." fairy to come to my house and bring all her friends with their magic wands. It's going to take a lot of them, I hope she has a bunch of friends and their wands are powerful!
It's gotta be the nursing! I've heard that when you breastfeed, you lose some of the baby weight really quickly, then you can't get rid of those last 10. I mean come on, you are FEEDING ANOTHER HUMAN BEING WITH YOUR BODY! I lost 25+ lbs super quick, now I've plateaued at about 10-15 above pre-preg weight. Just enough to ensure that none of my clothes fit. ARG.
Mmmmm...that muffin looks delicious!!! There is only one way to lose weight, eat less and exercise more, too bad that's such hard work, if it was easy maybe i'd have some success too!!
Holly, Holly, you look great. Brad talks about weight training and that's how my mom loses weight the fastest. I'm just starting. Good luck!
I just read your S. Splurge post, too. Love it. I think EVERY diet should have this.
Yeah, I heard a girl from BLoser say she worked out like 6 hours a day and then only ate 1400 calories. So, don't feel bad.
I just need to try not to have a "Saturday Splurge" every other day. This isn't helping things.
Oh, and congrats on the keychain!
Where do you live? I am coming wedding dress shopping next weekend, if you live close by, I'd love to meet you since I can't go to Bloga...
Let me know and we'll see if we can arrange something!
Holly, I have the perfect answer for your dilemma (and mine too). Our own personal chef and personal trainer. And since we're so loaded, that shouldn't be too much to ask for, right???
Hang in there friend! It will happen--IT WILL!!
Remember how much the contestants are working out--like all day. That just isn't realistic in the real world.
after my second baby, i did the winsor pilates circle work out; i was back to pre 1st baby weight (but did still have a little bulge, it's the price we pay, well worth it)... of course that was 10 lbs and one move later. i'm a stress eater.
oh, found your blog through the r house.
Post a Comment