Thursday, January 17, 2008

A Pain In My Armpits


Ya know those Mormon cap sleeve tees? The ones that everyone loves that you layer with, that cover everything and make you more modest? Well, they freaking HURT my armpits!!! They cut off the circulation and make me really miserable by the end of the day. I find myself reaching up underneath my shirt trying to stretch out the arm hole so that my ciruclation returns. I keep wearing them because I feel like I'm supposed to like them. After all, everyone loves them and has one in every color. I don't consider myself a person with gigantic arms/armpits. Am I just fooling myself thinking that I don't? I've asked around and no one seems to have the same problem as me. Apparently I have gigantic armpits and I'm in denial.


Personal note to John: I do love the cami ones that you gave me for Christmas because they're not capped sleeve. So, thank-you. Just wanted to clear that up.
And P.S. to anyone that thinks I'm ordering the wrong size. I'm not. They fit everywhere else except for my armpits. I promise.

32 comments:

Momma Ballou said...

I can't relate. I don't have any. Everything I own is mega loose. I know what I wear isn't the most flatering but comfort is more important to me. when I was young I ONLY wore shoes with high hills. I was so worried about being short. Never again will I succomb to fashion. (like you couldn't tell)

L said...

I completely agree. I always think twice before buying a shirt that will require a cap sleeve, it better be dang cute to put me through the pain. I really like Shades Tanks or their heathered tees. Caps just aren't for me.

Your kids are way cute. I didn't get to meet you at the blog party, so I am saying "hello" now!

Becky said...

I don't like them much either. I love the cami's though. That is what I wear most. I think I only have 2 cap sleeves cause they just don't see that comfortable to me either.

Becky said...

I don't like them much either. I love the cami's though. That is what I wear most. I think I only have 2 cap sleeves cause they just don't see that comfortable to me either.

Anonymous said...

See Holly???? You are NOT the only one. Please stop thinking that you have large upper arms (like me, boo hoo). I hate anything that is tight on my upper arms, it makes me feel claustrophobic. And sure enough, whenever I do wear something that is higher-up on the arm, someone always has a blasted camera and then there's proof of the arm chub (like at grandma's, boo hoo again!)
STOP WEARING THEM!!!

Bridget said...

Hey, I see you on just about every blog I read so I just had to stop by your site.

I agree with the shirts. They are made small in the armpit area. I even tried a different brand, Layers. Kind of a knock off of Shade. Same problem. What gives? I just dunno.

Jessica said...

Maybe just your armpits needs Weight Watchers?

Hollyween said...

Jessica,
I KNEW IT!

But still... so so rude. Can't you let my denial go on and on?

Paige said...

I totally relate. Except they don't squeeze my pits, they squeeze my butt and make me look like I have a spare tire. Oh wait, I totally do anyway. Now that you are blaming the shirt, so am I.

Paige said...

I didn't mean they squeeze my butt (they aren't that long!) I meant they squeeze my GUT.

Celia Fae said...

I always call my silky underwear my Shades Shirt. People laugh but hey, I'm not hot! Suckas, all of you.

Neck tights the latest fad? I don't think so.

Lauren in GA said...

I am sure you have perfectly proportioned armpits. Don't worry...you don't have to like them...there are lots of fashion fads that everybody loved, and now wonder, why. Just try to think of those armpit biting shirts as this decades' leg warmers...or parachute pants!

Of course...I am not very stylish so...you may not want to listen to me

The Nelson Family said...

My white one totally kills my pits! I have a few that don't, but you'd think the one I wear the most would be the one that was comfortable. And your arms are beautiful.

By the way, I had a dream about you last night. You were in these sweats and you were so skinny you were anorexic looking. I commented on your weight and said you looked great and you blew it off like it was nothing. You were too busy vacuuming! Pretty funny.

SMiLeD said...

Apparently this fad hasn't reached the midwest yet, can't help ya!!

Christie said...

Maybe you're just too tall for them? I haven't had that problem, but hate wearing Shade or Layers BECAUSE I ALREADY HAVE ON TOO MANY LAYERS. I mean, seriously, we're talking Gs, Shade T-shirt, Regular shirt, and then a coat? ENOUGH already.

McMillan Family said...

I totally agree. I always feel like my armpits are on fire while wearing my cap sleeve shirts. I have even tried stretching them out.

Anonymous said...

Maybe you should have armpit augmentation. :-) Either that or dump the stupit shirts.

The Birds said...

I had a shade one that did that to me. So I bought it a size bigger and now they don't do that! I like the ones from Costco that you get 2 for $13. Just a thought, One shirt, fits all? Don't think so. I don't think it is your armpits, I think it is the shirt. Not every piece of clothing fits well on everyone! I think you are beautiful and your post made me laugh!

Lisa-Marie said...

I have the same problem but as an added bonus to the discomfort they also make me SWEAT. Seriously sweat. I prefer the tanks.

Audry said...

I have the same problem, but my problem with the cami's is that they are not long enough.

Anonymous said...

ditto, on everything you said! CUte, but really, how do you keep the deodorant off of them??

The Birds said...

Why are you so nice to me? I appreciate all your compliments they make me feel like a million bucks! Right back at you with the gorgeous comments! Have you looked in the mirror? You have one of the most beautiful faces I have ever seen! Just because you understand, I ate like crap tonight! I shouldn't get down on myself, but I always do! Tomorrow is a new day, right? Thanks again for all your sweet compliments, they really do mean alot!

Kim said...

I COMPLETELY agree (but not with the part about your arms being flabby Holly). My cap-sleeve shirts are made by Coverwear. I have 2 that are hemmed and one that is not. The one that isn't is the most comfortable, but the others bother me immediately upon putting them on. I know DownEast makes some too...I'd like to know the brands of the ones that don't hurt.

Lisa Haws and family said...

Holly,
My sister Lori called me today and told me that you are blogging buddies with Lorena. I called Lorena today to tell her our "small world" story. She has been really sick, and thus no blog update from her. I enjoyed reading your blog..... way cute background. I haven't figured out how to do that yet. I definately need to take a lesson from Lorena. Lisa

Holly said...

Interesting predicament. I don't usually buy cap sleeves because I feel like my upper arms are NEVER toned enough or thin enough--but I like how they look on other people. Sorry they aggravate your pits!

D-dawg said...

Holly that is the worst ever. I don't love shade for some reasons like on me they are so so long- it's ridiculous. But they keep me warm so I continue to use them. I would NOT if they sqeezed my arms. I hate being uncomfortable. I wish I had some advice for you!

Lorena said...

I was just coming to tell you that Lisa had called me today to tell me that I was being discussed in other circles, but Lisa beat me to it! You are so popular!!

Sunny said...

Ditch the cap sleeves. You're not alone, so sleep well knowing your pits are just fine.

Anonymous said...

They totally annoy me too. Which is too bad since I have 89 of them......

I have a neighbor that says she cuts the pits down lower so it's not so annoying. Perhaps I will test out that idea on one of my shirts.

Your pits are totally normal. Ah...the things I put up with in the name of fashion!

Amateur Steph said...

I have the same problem! The problem I run into is the tightness drives me insane and then if it's not tight in the armpits, it's cut too low in front to work as an under layer. Even camis are cut too high in the armpits for me.
I thought I was all alone. Why can't we just use our G's as the underlayer? Seriously mine are long enough and high enough.
Guys do it. I always see their G collars sticking out of a tshirt or polo.

Hollyween said...

Stephanie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Your comment made me laugh my head off. Seriously. FUN-NEEEE! And so true!

Jake said...

Never wear those....and now I'm not buying any. Old Navy tees are the best.