Monday, December 31, 2007

The Horrible Hives


Okay. You know how in the last post I was talking about my hives? Well, they are worse than EVER! I have never in my life broken out in hives and I have no idea why I am now.

Have you ever wanted to itch your arms off? Scratch them till they bleed? Get a fork and use it to scratch and poke holes in your skin? No? Just me?

I have no idea where I got the hives from, in case you were wondering. It's very odd. The only thing I can think of is that I had half an orange right before I broke out in them. It's not the first time in my life I've had an orange though. I am notorious for getting strange ailments that baffle doctors.

So yesterday it was so bad that what did I decide to do? Go to the doctor, of course!! He gave me a prescription for the steroid prednizone and said it would clear up in 9 days. Only, there's a slight problem. I can't TAKE prednizone because I'm nursing. But he insisted I take the prescription anyway on the mere chance I'd like to pump and dump my milk and teach my baby who's never taken from a bottle before how to. Not only can I NOT take prednizone, I really don't WANT to. I have enough holiday weight gain. I don't need a steroid to aid things along.

So, he told me to keep doing what I've been doing. Gee thanks! Take antihistimines, use creams and hope it goes away. I think he felt bad that there was nothing he could do so he gave me a shot of epinephrine just to make me feel better. And it did... for about a whole 4 hours.


I'm hoping that the epi caused some sort of weight loss. I need a miracle.

31 comments:

Momma Ballou said...

oh my goodness! You poor girl. I had hives when I was pregnant with Hayden and it was the worst. I remember the bottoms of my feet itched like mad! And like you there was nothing but creams. I hope they go away soon. And to make matters worse we're not in the same ward anymore :(

Jennie said...

Oh Holly!! I am so sorry! I wish there was something I could do...If you think of anything let me know! Hey...we ARE in the same ward.

Lisa-Marie said...

I am so sorry. I got hives once in college. They were every where and HUGE and awful. I hope they go away soon. And I hope Faith knows what a great mommy she has!

Vickie said...

I was in a similar situation when I was pregnant, so I'm so sorry!! And I had to do the same things--special creams. I did try a special neutragena (sp?) shampoo all over my body and let it sit for about 5 minutes everyday. That was loads of fun. I really hope they go away soon for you!

SMiLeD said...

I'm sorry you have the hives, they are so miserable, I used to get them as a kid all the time and my mom would throw me in the bathtub with oatmeal of all things.

Hope you feel better soon!

Jill said...

YIKES. That looks horribly miserable. SO SORRY. Does Benadryl help at all? Oh, that is the worst. I hope they go away SOON, and that sucks you don't even know what caused it. GOOD LUCK. I feel for ya!!!!!

Audry said...

Sound like you are allergic to something. My daughter gets hives from certian detergants. I can't use oxiclean. Benadryl works for her....can you take that when you are nursing?

shauna said...

Oh honey, hives are no fun. I got them from an allergic reaction to antibiotic (for mastitis) when my baby was 7 weeks old. The only thing that helped me was Benydryl. I had to pump and dump and he was confused about the bottle, but he survived and so did I. I wish I would have taken pictures, but I looked like a monster because I got edema (swelling in the hives when they joined each other). It could be the oranges, my dr. said you have to have had the allergic reaction causing thing at least once in order for you body to have a prob. with it later. Don't know the medical terminology, but it made sense at the time since I had had that antibiotic before. EWW, good luck and keep us posted.

Christie said...

You poor thing! Allergic reactions are the worst. They can happen anytime, to any thing. Even if you've had it every day in your life.

Here's hoping it goes away soon!

P.S Thanks for the great Christmas gift! I cannot wait to spend it. Gift cards are my fav!

Megan said...

While David and I were in NYC in September, Cooper got hives all over his body and his hands swelled up making his fingers look like little sausages. My parents took him to the doctor and they put him on prednizone. That is the most EVIL drug ever!! It made his ravenous and so onery!!! His hives did go away but by the time we got home all of his hives had turned into bruises. It looked like he had been beaten. It was pretty spooky, but we have no idea why he got them and it hasn't happened since. So, I guess what I am saying is good luck with that!!!!

Anonymous said...

Dear Holly,

During one of my infamous skin treatments, the itching was so bad that I was put on prednisone. It really helped. I have heard that it causes terrible mood swings in a lot of people, however. I wouldn't have made it through that time without it, though.

Laura

D-dawg said...

Holly?!? Are you ok? That sounds like a nightmare and so painful! How long are they suppposed to last?? I hope you feel better soon. Is the Benydryl not working at all? That is what I always thought you should use for hives! I hope you feel better!

Jessica said...

Okay, that's hideous. Totally sympathizing with you!

shauna said...

We need an update!!!!!

The Brann's said...

That's horrible. When I was pregnant with Ryker I got a horrible rash in my armpits of all places. I would itch at them until they bled. Apparently the pregnancy made me allergic to my deodorant, and I still can't wear it to this day. I can only use the aerosol kind and they suck. I totally sympathize with you. Hopefully it goes away soon!!!

Penny said...

I really feel for you. I had something called P.U.P.P.S. during my last pregnancy. It lasted for 6MONTHS!! I was going crazy! I tried the oatmeal bath thing too. You fill up a sock or something with oatmeal and then put it over the spout of the bath and let the water run through the sock/oatmeal combo. It helped a little tiny bit. But not much.

Sunny said...

OOOH! I feel your pain. I'm sorry you have hives, I just can't stand itchy skin. Drives me nuts. I hope it's clearing up!!

Anonymous said...

ouch, please don't use a fork and poke holes in you... :) I have never had hives... knock on wood.

chrissy said...

Yikes, I'm so sorry! You doin' any better?

Holly said...

I'm sorry hives have invaded! Hope the meds are helping--without side effects. Hang in there girl.

Jake said...

One time I had something I thought was hives and it was actually "cellulitis" (not cellulite...already have that) and they treated it with antibiotics. Hang in there...skin problems are the most annoying.

Kim said...

Oh!!! How horrible! It stinks when we go to the doctor only to have them tell us that there is nothing they can do for us and just to keep doing what we have been doing. Stinks stinks stinks! Sorry!

Jylaire said...

Holly!
There's nothing more annoying than itching like crazy! Actually there's nothing more annoying than someone telling you to force a bottle on a baby when they won't take one. (case in point: my two kids) You'll get through it. I do know from terrible nursing/hives experience that you can take benedryl up to three times daily before it'll affect your milk supply. Let me know if you have any questions; I worked in an allergy lab for years. Hope it clears up soon!

Mike, Heidi, Kenedy said...

I am sorry about your hives! I hope they go away soon! I also have the same phobia fo medicine when it comes to making you gain weight! I would rather deal with the symptoms I have then gain weight! Don't worry about your weight gain over Christmas. It goes away fast if you start tracking points again! I think you look great! I can't wait to see you in a few weeks!

Amateur Steph said...

Good luck Holly. Sometimes doctors are just expensive verifications of the fact that there is a problem. Hope the hives are gone soon, never to return.

Anonymous said...

OOOOOOOOOOOUUUCCCCCCHHHHHHH!!!
Oh my poor cousin! I feel your pain!! Hives are the worst, I also have had the BEAST! When I broke up from my first serious boyfriend, I had soooo much guilt, I punished myself and got hives ( dumb guilt on my part.......)
I hope you feel better soon. Think about a STRONG emotion you may have felt a few days prior, I can guarrantee that is the cause!
Love Marsha

Momma Ballou said...

COME ON...Do a new post. I'm BORED, let's go to lunch now, tommorow and everyday. Seriously I'm bored.....................

Celia Fae said...

Are those really your legs? They look small enough to be your arms. I think you were cheating.

AMY said...

So sorry! You need a cool bath. It helps. But that stinks. (Not the bath...your poor arms!) Hope they're better soon!

Anonymous said...

Just happened on your site - looking at the pic of kate gosselin.

You likely don't have hives still - but if you get them again...are you able to take Benedryl? Benedryl is great if you are having an allergic reaction and is safe for nursing, too. Might make the baby sleep a bit longer or harder, though.

Anonymous said...

>.< All I can say is...

Misery loves company. I have hives RIGHT NOW. They are absolutely horrible. And YES I have the notion to stab those itchy hellbringers until they bleed as well. Glad to see there are OTHERS whom have these creepy thoughts.