It all started out innocently enough. Levi's two front teeth have been loose since early summer. We knew eventually the time would come for them to actually come out, but because he's our oldest, we didn't realize the agony that would come along with it. In the last week, the left front tooth had become EXTREMELY loose, but IMPOSSIBLE to pull. We did dental floss, thread, string, mini pliers, toilet paper. We would dry the tooth before all these methods too thinking that it would help give us extra leverage and a better grip. John would take a turn, I would take a turn. The boy that once thought that it was pretty cool to have a loose tooth and started out looking all happy like the below picture (which I took, by the way as a "before" shot thinking the "after" would be minutes after the "before". Oh, how I was wrong. The "after" shots below are now DAYS later) started bawling at the mere mention of us trying to get it out. One minute he would beg that we let the tooth "rest" and come up with excuses that he "just wanted to talk to Mommy for a minute and then we could try" or "On 'Charlie and Lola', Lola ate an apple and her tooth fell out. I think I'll try that." And the next minute, he was screaming "JUST PULL IT OUT!!! PULL HARDER! OWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!! You're not supposed to PULL IT I didn't say to PULL IT!!!! WAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH"
John and I have been anguishing about this tooth not only because we started wanting it out even more than Levi did, but because we also didn't. I mean, the bottom two were one thing, but the top ones? We all know what happens when those babies come out. You no longer have a baby. You have a KID who grows ugly, gangly teeth that sometimes come in really bad. And in Levi's case, with his parent's history his chances of them growing in badly are good. And even if they come in great, they don't look like a little child anymore. Before we know it, he'll be wearing braces and popping pimples in the mirror. I don't think I can take it. Each time we tried to pull that tooth, we'd look at each other and wince because we secretly wanted it to stay in there forever. Why do kids have to grow up so fast?
Levi smiling happily thinking his tooth is about to come out several days ago. This was our first try.


19 comments:
Okay...I can't stop laughing. Canyon's first tooth just started to get loose not too long ago. I'm dreading when the day comes that it's loose enough to pull. Hopefully it will be awhile.
Congrats! My two 5 year olds pray every night for a tooth to come out so they can write their name on the "lost tooth" in kindergarten.
Oh my gosh, you just described the scenario I'm totally dreading!!!! This is something that I have NOT been looking forward to...I'm glad I have a few years ahead of me, but I'm sure it'll go by too fast and I'll have to deal with this sooner rather than later. Ugh! I'm glad it finally came out, for all your sakes!
So cute! I'm dying over these pictures. Poor guy, he's been through a lot to get that thing out! And it is true, once the top ones are gone they begin to look old. Sad. But he still looks adorable so don't worry too much.
The front tooth that Henry's brother loosened "accidentally" still hasn't come out either. We did all of the things to hasten its demise, but now it has grown back into his mouth in a lovely shade of grey. Good work on being persistent. Welcome to the world of orthodontia.
You should have sent him over to my house. I am now a professional. DH can't even stomach it. I frequently post my accomplishments on the blog, so be on the lookout.
Wow, I can't believe you tried pliers -- I sounds so....violent! I think I would cry, too!!! Ha, Ha. Glad it finally came out! Levi is soooo cute with or without front teeth.
Laura
You need to go check out Lorena's blog about pulling her kids teeth out, before they were totally ready. I can't remember the post, but it was in August-ish. I've never had to pull, they've all come out on their own.
I feel for you! I'm sad thinking about my little toddler becoming a "real boy" in the not-so-distant future. Good job on getting it out though!
Levi is soooooooooo dramatic in his face expressions! I couldn't stop laughing for ages! I admire his efforts in smiling after such a traumatic event!!! ( I am sure his smile will be wonderful!)
Love Marsha
That is too funny! I loved reading it. I never thought of the front teeth like that, but I am totally with you. They are no longer your baby after those puppies are gone.
Ok, I have been so sad that my baby turned one. BUT losing teeth? Yeah, that is a sure sign of growing up. It's so hard to let them get big isn't it?!?!?
Finally!!!! I can'y wait to show Porter the pictures...
Love ya
That is so funny. I am LOL ing..... I especially enjoy the after pics with the goofy smile. Levi is so adorable. What a cute boy.
Nice venture into home dentistry. The pliers one says it all.
Kudos to you for being able to communicate the joy of success anc the agony of defeat all in one post!
I felt like I was having de ja vous. 6 of those baby teeth gone, 2 more to go. With my first, we tried the whole slamming door and pulled it out plus a little gum too! That almost ruined it for both of us. Now we have the most success with dental floss.
Great post Holly!
I don't know why, but pulling out teeth makes me sick. I hate thinking of the roots ripping and the rawness of the gums and blood gushing. It's gross!! YES, I am a nurse and handle much worse, but this is just gross to me.
Anyways, congrats! What a success. Funny story :)
How funny and true! My girls are a few years away from losing their teeth, but the two front teeth seem like such a milestone.
Hooray that you finally had succes and that smile is awesome!
Where are you? Are you sick or something? Your last post was Wednesday. I'm not used to this. Please help us all out.
Maybe you don't like us any more.
Post a Comment