Okay. So I hate for some of my blog entries to be about my irriations with my five year old, but tonight I just HAD to get it out!!! Levi is a SNACKER!!! Even after I've actually gone to the trouble (it does happen sometimes) to make a nice dinner for him, he will finish and say, "What can I have?" ARRRRGGGHH!!! Tonight I went to a lot of trouble and made from scratch a kid's meal from Burger King. He ate the entire thing and immediately said, "What snack can I have now?" It honestly makes me want to scream. And don't get me started on the continuous snacking he thinks he must do after Kindergarten is over. One or two snacks is never enough. My pantry doors may as well be open 24/7 because it seriously feels like I'm shutting them all day long. I know that a lot of you reading this are thinking, "He's just hungry!" "He's a growing boy!" "Maybe he needs to eat more!" The trouble is there was never a more picky eater than Levi. He's picky with his snacks, his breakfast, lunch and dinner.
I'm thinking of buying this book:

It's a book by Jerry Seinfeld's wife, Jessica. It's about getting your kids to eat healthy by doing vegetable purees and sneaking them in their food. I watched her on the Oprah show and she seemed like a genius at the time. Looking back on the show, however, it seems like she had a LOT of different colored purees. I'm not sure I'm creative enough to cook with that many colors.


11 comments:
Oh man, that is funny but I see how frustrating. I don't know what to say because I have the same problem with Tanner. I know how you feel...it is annoying. Tanner wakes up asking for treats and candy, throws fits, wants to snack all day...it drives me crazy too. So, what in the world shall we do?? I guess try and fill them up with more protein and food that will keep them content?? YIKES, I don't know either! It sucks!! :)
Holly, I wanted to answer your question on my blog... I use statcounter.com to track my blog stats. It mostly tells you how many people are looking and what state they are from. It also tells you what google searches people did and ended up on your blog. Their basic package is free and that's the one I use. You should try it, it 's kindof fun. Anyway I can relate to the snacker thing. My son just tells me he's hungry all of the time and yet he never wants what I suggest he have. It drives me nuts. Maybe I should check out this book, thanks for the tip.
My kids, they also love to snack. If it is after dinner, I throw them a piece of bread. No butter. If they are hungry enough, they will eat it. Have you ever been in houses with locks on the pantry? I've always thought those were like an advertisement for an eating disorder.
Holly - Jacob woke up the other morning at 7 and immediately asked for a cookie, so I know how you feel. I saw the Jessica Seinfeld book at Costco a few weeks ago, but then we I went back to get it they said it was sold out. My friend ordered it from Hastings, but I bet B&N would have it - too bad that's all the way in LAYTON! We need a bookstore in a bad way here. Good luck!
Holly - Jacob woke up the other morning at 7 and immediately asked for a cookie, so I know how you feel. I saw the Jessica Seinfeld book at Costco a few weeks ago, but then we I went back to get it they said it was sold out. My friend ordered it from Hastings, but I bet B&N would have it - too bad that's all the way in LAYTON! We need a bookstore in a bad way here. Good luck!
I am seriously too controlling about this issue...I HATE cleaning up food messes over and over and over again and since I am totally insistent that my kids eat my non-kid friendly food, I want them REALLY hungry at dinner time, so they'll eat it without thinking.
THey get one snack after school and I do the SAME BREAD THING as Celia.
I totally love the bread idea, Celia and Jessica. I'm going to try it. Thanks! If he's hungry, a piece of bread should totally suffice.
Hi there,
I found you through another of my blog buddies blogs so I hope it's ok to leave a post. My 6 year old daughter is EXACTLY the same when it comes to snacking and it drives me absolutely BONKERS!!! Just know that there is someone out there who totally knows what you're going through! Thanks for letting me peek at your blog!
Becki
I saw her on Oprah as well. I think the idea is brilliant and the systems seems easy enough to do.
I guess I am really mean, but my kids are only allowed to have ONE snack a day. I actually count the snacks to make sure they aren't having more:) After dinner is they are still hungry they can have 1 piece of toast OR an apple OR a bowl of boring cold cereal.
Laura
I'm a little late on thism but I just bought the book...I'll get back to you on whether or not I actually use it. I couldn't resist the idea of it!
Post a Comment